Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A wave of (psychedelic) hyper-stylized movies that usually fall under the horror / mystery / crime genre. They feel like an experience and often contain a dark, dreamy atmosphere, existentialism, drug use, harsh violence, an electronic soundtrack and lots of dripping neon.

I absolutely am a sucker for it!

Reactions: SgtPepper

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
They’re not for me. I can appreciate the artistic quality and what they’re trying to achieve. But the specific intensity involved is just something I don’t want in my life anymore.

·
Registered
630 Posts

I absolutely am a sucker for it!
Purple wave ? i tried to google it, and found nothing relating to a movie genre other than your link. is it a thing ?.
The name sounds silly. but some ov them movies look interesting, will have to check them out.

·
Premium Member
INFP
3,505 Posts
They cool.but I think everything is cool.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Purple wave ? i tried to google it, and found nothing relating to a movie genre other than your link. is it a thing ?.
The name sounds silly. but some ov them movies look interesting, will have to check them out.
It's certainly a thing, it's just not an official genre YET just like hyperpop used to be until this year.

The name purplewave has been invented last year and now it's relevance is on the rise

·
Registered
25,362 Posts
Is this considered purplewave?

Reactions: Lakigigar

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this considered purplewave?
Yes certainly! It is one of the landmarks in the genre together with The Neon Demon and arguably Drive too. Too Old To Die Young is also kinda purplewave but it's a tv series.

Panos Cosmatos has two purplewave movies. Beyond The Black Rainbow is sometimes called as the first true purplewave movie, whereas all the movies before are now considered proto-purplewave in the sense that the true purplewave movies drew inspiration from them and that they do share a lot of charasteristics with the genre. Beyond The Black Rainbow is the cult movie that is considered the true beginning of the purplewave movement.

This is a love it or hate it movie... Very weird movie.

But Mandy from the same director really kicked off the genre.

Like what the fuck lol.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The movies are really intense and otherworldly but it's less focused on plot and more on style and experiencing the movie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts