Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
only just! but i made it....:crazy:

i am studying English Language and Literature (for the books), Music Tech (for the skills), Film Studies (for my future) and Psychology (for the chicks :wink:) and i start Monday! :laughing:

i have chosen subjects specifically for a wide social circle and variety of personalities, i really want to pursue something more social than my first 16 lonely years. i actually want to make films and be a writer, and hope to progress to film school, so that is why i am doing Film Studies. English because it'll be easy, and the social circle should have a bunch of sensitive and thoughtful types i can get along well with. Music Tech...meh, music production skills may prove handy, and i love music as well (but don't wish to degrade it by means of academic study :wink:).
and Psychology, honestly, i do have a real interest in the subject, but the main reason for me studying it is that, here, LOTS of people pick Psychology. there are cerebrally smart kids do it out of either ego or more usually genuine interest, there are some thoughtful/sensitive types too which i look forward to, and also, there are girls....LOTS of girls. understandably, this is a dignified enough motive :p ....plus, i am good at Psychology.

my reasons. i am going to college because the other option is to head straight into a vocation, and i don't like that idea. so, college, two more years of easy sustenance and free eye tests :laughing: plus, i hope to meet some new people and write my book in that time...

it's not that i'm shallow (though it may sound like it) but college is pretty meaningless to me, i don't see life in these dishonest and hollow terms, just college. it is just an excuse, college, to write my book and hopefully have the first proper friend group in my entire life

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm studying Psychology.

It took 3 years of aimless wandering in college to settle on it. and i still have 2nd thoughts every now and then. I can't compare myself to other personality types, but I've found that it is very hard sometimes to sit down and focus on my studies. when I've got that deep motivation I'm easily able to get a 4.0 (which I have gotten) and conversely when I'm lacking interest and motivation I can actually fail a class or two (which has happened as well).

go in knowing that a set defined schedule won't work for your studies. Just go with a basic outline and know that you will need to take breaks to read a novel, check facebook or PC, etc. More than other types who can focus for hours on end. oh, and go somewhere slow and quiet. the urge to people watch always seems to distract you from your text books.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I was a business administration major, but that never felt right. Then life didn't quite go the way I had planned and I never finished. I'll be returning in the near future to get my Bachelor's in psychology and hopefully continue on to earn my Master's.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'll start my Master of Arts, Design for Digital Cultures, this monday and hopefully bring it to a good end. That should be exactly 1 year from now on.
Am thinking about getting a master in Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology after I finish but I may as well launch a career in the arts immediately.

Reactions: CircusCat

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
This one did, and it homeschooled. It is an honor student and has a scholarship and everything. It studies primarily Anthropology, as well as Psychology, and some other stuff it thinks is cool, like philosophy, creative writing, and digital community studies. Peace.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I got in, but dropped out. It wasn't all that interesting.

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,108 Posts
I have two bachelor degrees and I'm working on my juris doctor. D:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
This one did, and it homeschooled. It is an honor student and has a scholarship and everything. It studies primarily Anthropology, as well as Psychology, and some other stuff it thinks is cool, like philosophy, creative writing, and digital community studies. Peace.
How do you enjoy anthropology?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm currently studying mechanical engineering and minoring in economics. Totally opposite sides of the spectrum, I'm straddling this bitch for as long as I can before the decision is forced. At the end of the day I don't know if I'll ever give one up or make my decision, I have a tendency to let these things be decided arbitrarily. I originally decided to do engineering based on my interest in the products of MechE, cars and planes and such, but now that I've gotten a tiny taste of the real work it can be pretty tedious, a lot of grunt work involved. That and I find it difficult to really mesh with the people around me, I've noticed a difference between the best engineers that look like they were born to do the work, and myself, even though I do pretty damn well for myself. I'm currently thinking about leveraging my econ studies+quantitative skills into the field of finance. Why do I always make things difficult for myself...:confused:

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,108 Posts
I'm currently studying mechanical engineering and minoring in economics. Totally opposite sides of the spectrum, I'm straddling this bitch for as long as I can before the decision is forced. At the end of the day I don't know if I'll ever give one up or make my decision, I have a tendency to let these things be decided arbitrarily. I originally decided to do engineering based on my interest in the products of MechE, cars and planes and such, but now that I've gotten a tiny taste of the real work it can be pretty tedious, a lot of grunt work involved. That and I find it difficult to really mesh with the people around me, I've noticed a difference between the best engineers that look like they were born to do the work, and myself, even though I do pretty damn well for myself. I'm currently thinking about leveraging my econ studies+quantitative skills into the field of finance. Why do I always make things difficult for myself...:confused:
You know, I hear that lawyers with a background in engineering can make it pretty well in the field of patent law. You might want to consider that.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Well I did...and here I am. Very rocky start, but that was simply the beginning. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
How do you enjoy anthropology?
Anthropology is absolutely awesome. I love studying humans, I love studying culture. Language/linguistics, archaeology/egyptology, primatology, it's all fascinating to me. Anthropology is absolutely my most major love, because nothing else is quite as holistic or practices quite so much cultural relativism as anthropology does.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts