Personality Cafe banner

Do INFPs make it into college or university?

[INFP] 
12K views 93 replies 82 participants last post by  Amphoteric 
#1 ·
If so, what are you studying?

#2 ·
only just! but i made it....:crazy:

i am studying English Language and Literature (for the books), Music Tech (for the skills), Film Studies (for my future) and Psychology (for the chicks :wink:) and i start Monday! :laughing:

i have chosen subjects specifically for a wide social circle and variety of personalities, i really want to pursue something more social than my first 16 lonely years. i actually want to make films and be a writer, and hope to progress to film school, so that is why i am doing Film Studies. English because it'll be easy, and the social circle should have a bunch of sensitive and thoughtful types i can get along well with. Music Tech...meh, music production skills may prove handy, and i love music as well (but don't wish to degrade it by means of academic study :wink:).
and Psychology, honestly, i do have a real interest in the subject, but the main reason for me studying it is that, here, LOTS of people pick Psychology. there are cerebrally smart kids do it out of either ego or more usually genuine interest, there are some thoughtful/sensitive types too which i look forward to, and also, there are girls....LOTS of girls. understandably, this is a dignified enough motive :p ....plus, i am good at Psychology.

my reasons. i am going to college because the other option is to head straight into a vocation, and i don't like that idea. so, college, two more years of easy sustenance and free eye tests :laughing: plus, i hope to meet some new people and write my book in that time...

it's not that i'm shallow (though it may sound like it) but college is pretty meaningless to me, i don't see life in these dishonest and hollow terms, just college. it is just an excuse, college, to write my book and hopefully have the first proper friend group in my entire life

#5 ·
I'm studying Psychology.

It took 3 years of aimless wandering in college to settle on it. and i still have 2nd thoughts every now and then. I can't compare myself to other personality types, but I've found that it is very hard sometimes to sit down and focus on my studies. when I've got that deep motivation I'm easily able to get a 4.0 (which I have gotten) and conversely when I'm lacking interest and motivation I can actually fail a class or two (which has happened as well).

go in knowing that a set defined schedule won't work for your studies. Just go with a basic outline and know that you will need to take breaks to read a novel, check facebook or PC, etc. More than other types who can focus for hours on end. oh, and go somewhere slow and quiet. the urge to people watch always seems to distract you from your text books.

#9 ·
I'll start my Master of Arts, Design for Digital Cultures, this monday and hopefully bring it to a good end. That should be exactly 1 year from now on.
Am thinking about getting a master in Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology after I finish but I may as well launch a career in the arts immediately.

Reactions: CircusCat
#11 ·
This one did, and it homeschooled. It is an honor student and has a scholarship and everything. It studies primarily Anthropology, as well as Psychology, and some other stuff it thinks is cool, like philosophy, creative writing, and digital community studies. Peace.

#13 ·
I have two bachelor degrees and I'm working on my juris doctor. D:

#17 ·
I'm currently studying mechanical engineering and minoring in economics. Totally opposite sides of the spectrum, I'm straddling this bitch for as long as I can before the decision is forced. At the end of the day I don't know if I'll ever give one up or make my decision, I have a tendency to let these things be decided arbitrarily. I originally decided to do engineering based on my interest in the products of MechE, cars and planes and such, but now that I've gotten a tiny taste of the real work it can be pretty tedious, a lot of grunt work involved. That and I find it difficult to really mesh with the people around me, I've noticed a difference between the best engineers that look like they were born to do the work, and myself, even though I do pretty damn well for myself. I'm currently thinking about leveraging my econ studies+quantitative skills into the field of finance. Why do I always make things difficult for myself...:confused:

#18 ·
You know, I hear that lawyers with a background in engineering can make it pretty well in the field of patent law. You might want to consider that.

#22 ·
Yes.

Nursing major, with (hopefully) a psychology minor

#23 ·
INFPs are supposedly "overrepresented in Universities" according to one report. That means, yes, many do make it into college.

School was always easy for me, so making it into college was not hard. I studied visual communications (graphic design and motion graphics). I was I had studied a different kind of design or gone to a different college now though. Oh well....

#24 ·
Started college just over three years ago, studied A-level English, Media, Psychology and Film and was fine for the first year. I developed major depressive disorder at the beginning of the second year which got steadily worse, mainly due to near constant and unavoidable contact with the main cause (a girl I had developed incredibly strong feelings for which I wasn't able to act upon. "Limerence?"). I dropped out a few weeks before final exams, it took two years to get myself in order and finally feel confident enough to try again. Signed up for a National Diploma level 3 in Film and Television production and was, amazingly, offered a place. I start next Tuesday and I'm bloody petrified, but I'm glad I finally feel happy and motivated again :tongue:

#26 ·
In this country, you gotta go to University first. Then when you get the degree, you get the money. Then when you get the money, you get the power.

(Also, in the US, "college" and "university" are basically interchangeable, but colleges provide undergraduate education while universities provide both.)

#32 ·
Studying philosophy.

Have also had courses in english lit, creative writing, psychology.

I've had 3 INFP profs so far. They're easily identifiable and inspire me greatly. (Even though they're also broke/stressed out/overworked and not in tenured positions. Makes me not want to be a prof, which is sad; these people are SO loveable.)

My university has this human sexuality minor. Those classes were amazing and very open and honest. Sadly, I've realized that being a sex therapist seems to only work if you're a woman.

So I ... I just decided to be a writer. I also know a lot of ENFJs in the theatre department. So they work on stuff I write sometimes, which makes me feel really important.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with school at the moment.

#33 ·
Some INFPs do well in a university setting, some don't. I enjoyed it a lot because I got to learn new, interesting things all the time and stretch my brain. I'm going to go back for my masters as soon as I finish paying off some of my student loans. I'm not sure which way I want to go with my degree yet though, I want to do something that pertains to building social safety nets/economic justice in developing countries, but I wonder if I'd do better as an academic because I'm a pretty good teacher.

#34 ·
I have a Masters Degree in Governance and Public Policy and a Bachelor Degree in Commerce with majors in Accounting and Finance.

To be honest, I'm ambivalent towards accounting and I'm not massively fond of finance; my brother suggested that I do those majors (stereotypically ISTJ), so I complied because I really didn't know what else I was gonna do. It required me to use my Si and (inferior) Te functions (trying to create a consistently effective system for studying, which I never did) more than I would like. The end result? I had to spend several months recovering at the end of each undergraduate year, rather than just diving into more work like I reckon a person with a stronger Te would do. Meanwhile, I had to drop that Te persona ASAP.

The governance degree I enjoyed more because it was more theoretical. That tends to suit me more because I not only have a good memory for theory (Si), but I am also good at applying theory to different situations (using my Ne to see and expand upon possibilities regarding the usage of said theory). There were also fewer exams, so I spent less time having to optimise a studying 'system' (Te). Not surprisingly however, I struggled when I was faced with a lecturer who dogmatically wanted us to utilise certain sources, seemingly in a bid to reinforce his own world-view to himself. Thus, my ability to approach a question from another angle (Ne) proved to be harmful, especially since he wasn't especially clear about what he wanted.

#47 ·
It required me to use my Si and (inferior) Te functions (trying to create a consistently effective system for studying, which I never did) more than I would like. The end result? I had to spend several months recovering at the end of each undergraduate year, rather than just diving into more work like I reckon a person with a stronger Te would do. Meanwhile, I had to drop that Te persona ASAP.
Me in medicine. Jumping from position to position, never really found my place in any of them. Then I realized it was the same "thing" that made me paint myself into a corner every time; too much Si over time and too much I/J-type adaption..

I just had to get away ASAP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.