1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many INFPs suffer from....?

Avoidant personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Borderline personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess it would be pointless of me asking this but Narcissistic personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What about depression?

It would be interesting to share experiences and possibly ways to alleviate some of the worse symptoms.

I have been diagnosed with AvPD and possible BPD, depression stemming from my AvPD. Not a narcissist (thou i have some tendencies...not sure, maybe as a defense mechanism), and I have to thank my parents for that. At least they raised me correctly. I can't pay for psychotherapy so trying to figure ways out to treat myself.

It feels like going mad with negative thoughts and still walking forward one step at a time. Sometimes I run backwards fast. Maybe I should reconsider investing in psychotherapy. I hate medication and will not accept it, especially that antidepressants mess with brain chemistry too much. I'd rather tank some sun.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Sun light, exercise, Omegas, nutrition. All these are really important. And I know for me, INFPs are really important. Maybe you need to find an ENFP friend who can inspire you! I inspire my INFp best friend all the time and in return, he lets me unwind and entertain him and it's always so uplifting. Studies show interaction between INFP/ENFP for an hour a day can actually make you happier and have lower blood pressure.
I have noticed that all my INFP friends are really shy. I sort of picked them out of the crowd because they looked so sweet but were all alone which was perfect for me because I love intimacy and we were bffs instantly!!!!
But yeah, sometimes you guys need pep talks.
If you want cheap therapy there's always church. I know it sounds bad but priests and ministers were the original counselors. And that's kind of what the Bible is. If you just meditate on what Jesus said, it's actually meditations on how to overcome fear and to trust people which is kind of the problems I had after my friend was murdered. I really felt unsafe. But it was the book of Matthew and praying/meditating on what Jesus said that actually helped me to be able to conquer my fear. I hope that helps.
Depression sucks so much. I love you!

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:happy:
Sun light, exercise, Omegas, nutrition. All these are really important. And I know for me, INFPs are really important. Maybe you need to find an ENFP friend who can inspire you! I inspire my INFp best friend all the time and in return, he lets me unwind and entertain him and it's always so uplifting. Studies show interaction between INFP/ENFP for an hour a day can actually make you happier and have lower blood pressure.
I have noticed that all my INFP friends are really shy. I sort of picked them out of the crowd because they looked so sweet but were all alone which was perfect for me because I love intimacy and we were bffs instantly!!!!
If you want cheap therapy there's always church. I know it sounds bad but priests and ministers were the original counselors. And that's kind of what the Bible is. If you just meditate on what Jesus said, it's actually meditations on how to overcome fear and to trust people which is kind of the problems I had after my friend was murdered. I really felt unsafe. But it was the book of Matthew and praying/meditating on what Jesus said that actually helped me to be able to conquer my fear. I hope that helps.
Thank you :happy:. I wonder if others have trust issues. I don't. I trust people...and envy them...and think I'm inferior, but now I realize ti is just my thoughts that go that way and reality is different.

I'd visualize the whole thing like a leap of faith, where what you see is an illusion and have to trust that reality is a more positive version of your own subjective thoughts.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I've been diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder in the past. I think I probably have Avoidant Personality Disorder rather than SAD because of the intensity, but most sources say the two are pretty much the same thing. Either way I've got some serious social ineptitude.

I'm not sure whether it would be worthy of a diagnosis, but I also have some symptoms of BPD----> idealization and devaluation in relationships, identity disturbance, history of impulsivity in a couple of areas, unstable mood, feelings of emptiness and inappropriate anger.

Definitely no NPD here!

I've been on an off medications for years. I'm currently on an SNRI and it is helping quite a bit with the depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts. I have less trouble in social situations now too. Therapy has helped a little bit in the past, but I have trouble getting myself to go unless I'm feeling relatively good. Trying to make me do little cognitive/behavioral exercises when I'm on the brink of killing myself is not very helpful for me.

When I'm feeling really distraught I find just crying it out helps. After a good cry I always feel better and it's easier to motivate myself. Other than that I've got nothing. Everything else I've tried with regard to lifestyle changes or herbal remedies has failed to give any relief.

·
Registered
869 Posts
!
Oh, you are adorable!

I live in an SJ world, so if I could rub a lamp and have 3 wishes, finding a happy ENFP like you would be one! (winning the lottery and not having to diet again might be the other two, screw world peace lol)

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you envy about them?
Starting from physical looks to skills to other things about them, their success. It sounds kind of negative and that is how i experience it too. In stead of acting narcissistic I self criticize a lot when I catch myself in the act. It's hard being happy for someone when I feel envy and faking it feels wrong, but I do not want to hurt their feelings, it's just how I feel and think inside.

It's like my brain is hardwired to think and feel in a specific way and I'm trying to go against that now by learning to think objectively and realizing that these are just negative thought patterns, not something real.

I've been diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder in the past. I think I probably have Avoidant Personality Disorder rather than SAD because of the intensity, but most sources say the two are pretty much the same thing. Either way I've got some serious social ineptitude.

I'm not sure whether it would be worthy of a diagnosis, but I also have some symptoms of BPD----> idealization and devaluation in relationships, identity disturbance, history of impulsivity in a couple of areas, unstable mood, feelings of emptiness and inappropriate anger.

Definitely no NPD here!

I've been on an off medications for years. I'm currently on an SNRI and it is helping quite a bit with the depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts. I have less trouble in social situations now too. Therapy has helped a little bit in the past, but I have trouble getting myself to go unless I'm feeling relatively good. Trying to make me do little cognitive/behavioral exercises when I'm on the brink of killing myself is not very helpful for me.

When I'm feeling really distraught I find just crying it out helps. After a good cry I always feel better and it's easier to motivate myself. Other than that I've got nothing. Everything else I've tried with regard to lifestyle changes or herbal remedies has failed to give any relief.
I have about that level of BPD as well. Yeah fighting this is not easy, but giving up and accepting being alone with those thoughts and feelings is not an option, for me at least. Maybe I should accept professional health, thou regarding medication I'm going with marzipan's sun light, omegas, nutrition and exercise idea.

Healthy soul in a healthy mind in a healthy body. We have one life to live and I don't want to waste it. I want to accept myself and defeat this.

I also thought of pouring all this into writing, drawing and maybe music. To express it somehow could bring some relief. Have you tried that?

ENFPs really are one of the most uplifting personalities :happy:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have about that level of BPD as well. Yeah fighting this is not easy, but giving up and accepting being alone with those thoughts and feelings is not an option, for me at least. Maybe I should accept professional health, thou regarding medication I'm going with marzipan's sun light, omegas, nutrition and exercise idea.

Healthy soul in a healthy mind in a healthy body. We have one life to live and I don't want to waste it. I want to accept myself and defeat this.

I also thought of pouring all this into writing, drawing and maybe music. To express it somehow could bring some relief.

ENFPs really are one of the most uplifting personalities :happy:
Try different things and if they don't work, then try something else. The ideal treatment varies between individuals. Being this determined to get better is a good sign.

Good luck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
How many INFPs suffer from....?

Avoidant personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Borderline personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess it would be pointless of me asking this but Narcissistic personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What about depression?

It would be interesting to share experiences and possibly ways to alleviate some of the worse symptoms.

I have been diagnosed with AvPD and possible BPD, depression stemming from my AvPD. Not a narcissist (thou i have some tendencies...not sure, maybe as a defense mechanism), and I have to thank my parents for that. At least they raised me correctly. I can't pay for psychotherapy so trying to figure ways out to treat myself.

It feels like going mad with negative thoughts and still walking forward one step at a time. Sometimes I run backwards fast. Maybe I should reconsider investing in psychotherapy. I hate medication and will not accept it, especially that antidepressants mess with brain chemistry too much. I'd rather tank some sun.
I see a few of the symptoms in myself, but they don't quite add up.

Ah, I remember when I had ENFP friends. They tended to liven up whatever was going on or just encourage chill conversations. Both of them (as I have only confirmed the existence of two ENFPs in my life) are also avid collectors of movies and music. I should have told them (and my friends in general) about my problems, and maybe my current situation could have been avoided. :sad:

I recognize that I need to eat healthy and exercise, but I find it so difficult to just get out of the door and do it. :frustrating:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Writing and painting, all things creative are so important to me. For me, at least, at the end of a day of writing or painting I feel like all the emotion has been poured out of my body. It's not the greatest feeling but when I look at what I accomplished I become ecstatic.
Jungian analysts push these points: 1. channel negative energy into creative energy 2. have a garden because everything that happens in a garden is symbolic of what happens in your mind (weeds need pulling, love, work, energy, etc.) 3. Fairy tales tell stories of the psyche and what needs to be done to achieve happiness. Example, cinderella and her prince are about either a woman who has failed to embrace her masculine side or a man who has failed to embrace his feminine side. Cinderella is miserable because she is incomplete. Every woman needs to embrace her animus. And every man must embrace his anima. The anima/animus is the gateway to the unconscious which is the gateway to controlling/understanding our own minds.
4. Dream analysis can indicate what you are repressing. Repressing negative thoughts such as anxieties is the source of many problems. One anxious person I knew said to me, "Repressing anxiety is like pushing a beach ball underwater. The harder you try to push it under the water the harder it pushes back."

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Starting from physical looks to skills to other things about them, their success. It sounds kind of negative and that is how i experience it too. In stead of acting narcissistic I self criticize a lot when I catch myself in the act. It's hard being happy for someone when I feel envy and faking it feels wrong, but I do not want to hurt their feelings, it's just how I feel and think inside.

It's like my brain is hardwired to think and feel in a specific way and I'm trying to go against that now by learning to think objectively and realizing that these are just negative thought patterns, not something real.
I feel envious, too, sometimes. And sometimes when I get too entrenched in psychological growth I start imagining "perfect people."
Perfection is very unsettling. Unfortunately, the way I, perhaps wrongly, deal with this problem of envy is by thinking: No one is perfect. There is nothing to envy. If they were perfect/happy all the time it would only be because they are too unaware and are in a state of chemical/self-absorbed bliss or because they are lying to themselves which will catch up with them eventually.
It's not really comforting so much as makes me feel like we're in the same boat and on the same team. And when I think of everyone on the same team then I feel better.
I suppose that's why ENFps and INFps are so good for each other, just as ESTps and ISTps are good for each other and ENFjs and INFjs are good for each other: We are different enough to see a different part of the picture but similar enough to instantly know we have a similar/shared experience which lends itself easily to the feeling of friendship.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I for sure have some avoidant characteristics, but I do seek relationships, and even social interaction sometimes.
Many days I just don't want to put that much effort into being social, maintenencing relationships... etc.
I would rather put that effort/time into a creative endeavor, which in general I need to be alone to do.
Maybe I'm just making excuses for avoidant tendencies, either way I don't care.

Depression was crippling in the past, it's a slippery slope. (I hated medication too.)
Like because I wasn't motivated enough to go excersise, or eat, or go outside and get some sunlight.
All I wanted to do was sleep, lie around in bed, and pretty much feel sorry for myself.
Eventually, I had to let everything I love pull me out, people, Music, animals...The things that never gave up on me.
Then I could incorporate excersise and such...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Had a therapist last year who dx me with GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) but that is only one manifestation of my AvPD, imo, as I show people what I am comfortable showing, and just showed her my daily anxiety and let her run with it. I'm thinking I need to get a proper dx as I'm getting old now and can't really continue going through life with the coping mechanisms I use - as they're not very effective! But the doctor hates people coming in with self-dx and it was always drummed into me not to get a dx/label as it would come back to bite me on the ass in future. I didn't find CBT useful; I'm the kind of person needs to lay on a sofa and get it all out and then dig inside my brain to understand the Whys and Whens and Hows, not develop left-brain routines (I'm totally right-brained). I don't know if the NHS has the funding for me to bother, though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have depression and anxiety and have had bouts of panic attacks. My depression started around age 14. I started on medication at 18 and was on and off different kinds. I take one now that really helps.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Depression creeps up on me quite frequently and it's tricky because it's difficult to know how to process the feelings in a way that others don't look down on. You're either labelled as a whiner or told to stop wallowing in self-pity. Well what the fuck else am I supposed to do!? Just swallow back my emotions and pretend everything is great!? If the issue was so easily resolved, I wouldn't have been so fucking depressed in the first place.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I am pretty sure I don't have BPD and APD would be a pretty recent development in my case as far as I've always been pretty social for an introvert. I certainly have my share of self-centered traits but I doubt I have a full blown NPD. I am realizing that I have been depressed and have suppressed it for a very long time. I started going to a therapist a couple of times but they just functioned more as enablers and validators to any idea that there was nothing wrong with how I feel. The latest one said she didn't think I was depressed enough for her to make a diagnosis. I suspect I didn't open up to them sufficiently and was still suppressing my truest feelings. I have chronic pain and neurological disorders, which don't make me feel good. But this takes it to another level. I just feel defeated and discouraged most of the time and have diminishing energy and focus to do either my job or some other things I usually love to do. I don't know how to get it back. There is no switch to turn on.

I eat very well and get lots of exercise and sun. I'm just really down and feel emotionally exhausted from keeping up appearances for many many years and a number of other reasons that I have alluded to in other posts and some that I haven't.

I hate feeling like this but hesitate to take antidepressants as I also have liver problems and mistrust pharmaceuticals in general. I have resolved to get a psychiatric referral from my neurologist when I can get an appointment to see her again.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The extrovert part is why I might have a hard time convincing my GP; I've always been a performer. It's the only job I've had (quit last year and have been sitting on my ass getting poor ever since). But when I'm onstage, I'm in character. When I've remarked I'm an introvert to social 'friends', they don't believe me, because of my public persona (which is the only one they know).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I came across a very helpful book/workbook for dealing with bpd called Dialectal Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook (You can find it and preview it on Amazon). It can be used along with therapy or on it's own, which is what I'm doing. I've found it quite helpful. It's easy to read, very practical and everything it teaches is easily incorporated into daily life. Vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and omega fatty acids are good to take, also. There are also herbal treatments to help with the depression and anxiety. Kava kava is a lifesaver for me, just took some as a matter of fact. My nerves have calmed and my thoughts are much clearer despite everything that's going on. These are definitely things to look into.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I definitely agree with having ENFP friends. I have one and we get to hang out about once a week. Every time after we hang out I feel re-energized and 100% better and he says that he feels the same. It doesn't really have to be an ENFP I suppose. I just recommend somebody who will bring you up and not put you down. I hung around negative people for a long time without even realizing that they were negative. You know, the apathetic people that think everything is stupid.

Don't be afraid of being judgmental, avoid these people.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I definately think your right about INFP temperments lending themselves easily to APD OR BPD if you have some kind of negative emotional history or something along those lines which alot of INFP's seem too, atleast from what I see on here anyway. I don't like SSRI's or antipsychotics, but alot of people say it helps them alot in their day to day life. For me I just kind of feel an emotional dampening affect, and I do become more extroverted I guess, but I tend to feel the same just to a lesser extent and it kind of feels strange to not feel sentimental, sort of like losing a part of your personality. I tried kava root extract capsules too, but they just made me sleepy, but kava tea is really good though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts