Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The two INFPs I know both are at the point in their lives where they can work very few hours and still live comfortably. It's different from an NTJ's frugality (they aren't as concerned with finding the absolute best deal for the money). They both spend the time they're not working contributing to open source projects (these are programmers) and are very big advocates of open source software. They do all of this for free of course.

Is this just coincidental, or is this a common thing for INFPs? If so, why do you think that is? As an INTP, I can't fathom not blowing all my money as soon as I get it. :happy:

I'm curious what would make INFPs different.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Call me insane, but I want to throw my bed out. Why invest so much floor space for something that you'll be unconscious while using? :tongue: I just generally like the look of emptiness and minimalism in the house. Same as what Acey said: I need an internet connection, music, and not much else.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Let me be the first materialistic INFP to post...though within reason.

I do have some obsession with money and want to be able to live where I want, when I want, with the house I want. But I like to settle down, I don't have big travel ambitions etc.

I like to eat good food and eating out, and I love my technology toys, tv, games etc. Other than that, I like the security and freedom the money would allow so that I have less insecurity to worry about with bills, health etc.

and ultimately I want to be a philanthropist, using money to help make others' lives better so I would need lots of money for that...not sure how to fulfill that dream though.

So I'd say I prefer to live a bit more than simply, but once I had the things I want I would live simply after that I guess.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was never used to having much in my life to begin with and I was still happy. Still to this day even though I make above decent money at the moment, I am not crazy about it. As long as its enough to to have all the basic stuff. Money is surely not everything since it hardly if ever increases my happiness level. A simple life is a lot less stressful as well.

Call me insane, but I want to throw my bed out. Why invest so much floor space for something that you'll be unconscious while using? :tongue: I just generally like the look of emptiness and minimalism in the house. Same as what Acey said: I need an internet connection, music, and not much else.

I thought about this one time, because I was always in scenarios were I never had a bed to sleep on. It was not bad at all. I like the minimalism of a home as well. No couch, just a chair and such.

·
Banned
780 Posts
All I want is a loft in an old warehouse with huge elevator shafts, an old motorcycle, a beautiful/intelligent wife, and inner happiness. I want to be comfortable with who I am and what I am doing.

·
Registered
16,002 Posts
Let's put it this way -- I have called the pension office 2 months ago and found out I can retire at age 53 w/25 years in. I'm gonna take my pension check and husband's ss check and it's going to be 18 wheels and a dozen roses, they'll buy a Winnebago, set out to find america, they'll do a lot of catchin' up, a little at a time, with pieces of the old dream, they're gonna light the old flame, doin' what they please, leavin' every other reason behind....

... we'll live on what we have and make due. and hopefully have a bunch of fun.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I don't live on my own yet, but I feel I could live simply. I just want to live in a small place and have my internet and zune and that's about it. I never really think of getting more than I need. Of course I might have to work longer than I would want to because I do have plans of having a family.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I like to live by the KISS principle. I need the basic necessities, including the internet. I dont need much for myself.

There are two problems though. Modern life seriously frown upon this lifestyle. You shall earn your bread with sweat and toil and all that. Its almost a religion, but not one of faith and devotion, but one of greed and selfishness. If you dont pray in the church of the dollar you shall be burned at the stake.

Second problem is that if I want to help other find a reasonable life of their own I will need money to do that. especially if I ever want to be able to offer my gf a decent way out of her currenct situation.

·
Registered
431 Posts
As long as I can pay bills on time and not struggle to buy food I'd be fine. I may not ever get that 100k car, but who cares? It's just pieces of metal and a motor and all cars do the same thing why would I need to put more value into something that functions pretty much the same as things of lesser value?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree with the above. I don't like having a bunch of crap around and I don't like having more than I need. In general, if I have extra money, I'd rather spend it on an experience, not a thing. But for the most part, I just want to feed myself and pay my bills.

...On the other hand! I know an INFP who cannot hold onto money at ALL. As long as I live, I don't think I'll ever meet somone who burns through money as quick as that girl. :O

·
Registered
394 Posts
I tend to blow through money faster than I ought, because I tend to be lazy when it comes to making myself lunches, and just buy them, and I also don't mind spending money on friends.

It's nothing for me to buy a drink here, or pay for the pizzas there, that type of thing.

I figure what is money for if not to be used on making people happy. I don't give it out, I'm not making anyone dependent on me, but the little things I just cover them.

(But the little things can add up sometimes).

·
Registered
251 Posts
I love to spend my money, but I like to budget and I don't just spend it on anything. Everything I buy is researched and longed after for a long time before I buy it (and is never excessively expensive). I like to surround myself with things that have special meaning to me and reflect my inner self, so to speak. ^^;

I'm perfectly happy living on very little, so long as I have enough money to buy something special every now and then.

I do tend to live simply, but I always have a desire to travel, which I guess isn't technically a "simple" thing. I want adventure :p

·
Registered
391 Posts
My material needs and wants are the same. Basic shelter, food (most of which I grow myself), water, basic clothing, internet access, paper, pencil. Air, love, freedom, and I'm all set. My house is sparsely furnished, I don't have guests. No one to impress.

Recently, a friend decided to come over with decorations for the walls and an area rug to make my house look more like a home. She wants to take me shopping for curtains... I feel crowded with all the unnecessary stuff.

Most of my work, I do for free. The only thing I make money from is sale of my books, and I don't make much. Even my books, I am starting to publish as free apps for iPhone and Droids. I suppose I could get money for them, but I wouldn't know what to do with it. Pay off the house, I guess. But I really don't make much money as an author. I would never want to go on tour, or be famous as a musician. I give of myself for free. Giving of myself makes me happy.

I think it's an INFP trait. Money means very little to me. If I was a billionaire, I'd live just as simply as I do now.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I've found that inner peace and harmony is better than whatever my material surroundings are. I just need a comfy bed, food, water (I mean water! I'm so frugal I don't even need juice, let alone alcohol, not that I drink, but you get my point!), and a roof over my head.

I don't bother buying books, because i've got books to read on my book shelf, and then I get rid of them when I've read them. Give them to charity, friends or sell them whatever. I just like to have very minimal attachments to material things, because none of it I take with me when I die.

Don't get me wrong, if I made money by coincidence, say just through working a lot or whatever then I would buy some nice clothes or a car. Yet I would be doing it as enough to look presentable and even that may not happen. I can do without it.

I am also very specific about what I spend my money on, before I make most of my purchases I decide whether it's really needed or am I avoiding some inner issue that I'm not dealing with.

I don't know about you other guys, I also have this undying sense of optimism, like even when I'm really down, i'm like 'ah just get on with life'. Go to youtube, or hypemachine, and put a song on. Dance a little and i'm happy. Music is free (in a way). I can just have a song playing via youtube, or radio.

In fact i'm selling loads of my cds at the moment, and other people I know just go after one after another, and i'm like 'why?'. Material things can never fill a void inside, it's more about doing the right thing, building character strength to make other things in life seem trivial. All the important things and fun things are free, or require very little pay. I mean seeing friends, costs what? the price of whatever travel to get there.

Seeing a movie? Just wait till it comes out to rent, there are other things that I can do before then. Don't get me wrong, I love the cinema, just it's not necessary. Going out EVERY weekend? Why? Ruins the fun of the times I am out, and who wants to see people getting drunk ALL THE TIME. I know some people that love getting drunk every weekend and it's like 'why?'. What does that fulfill in the long run? A lot of S's are like this.

It's similiar to why some people haven't understood why I don't want to move out of my mum's house yet. It's like Why? I know what I want to do as a career, I know how to get there. I will make enough cash to get there. So what society says? Go out and work, get house, get car, get family. Yet people that go along with this thinking never really stop to think where that leads, or what the point of it is in the long run.

Personally I believe it's just some people have no idea of how to control themselves and then end up having kids who are influenced with the same mentality and so the whole thing repeats itself and no one ever really sees the truth of that happiness resides inside, and isn't dependent on other people or external circumstances. This is a WHOLE other kettle of fish which can easily take up another thread.

I love how all us INFPs have all these things in common. I have an ISFP friend who is quite frugal, though I reckon that's more because he doesn't have money rather than it being 'I have money, I just choose not to spend it' which is more like my (and our INFP) mindset.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I think it's an INFP trait. Money means very little to me. If I was a billionaire, I'd live just as simply as I do now.

I would end up buying a house, and keeping enough to live on. Also buy a house somewhere in a peaceful atmosphere. So two houses lol, enough to pay bills and have food for the rest of my life. Get a car. Then save some cash for my kids education, that is ONE thing I would LOVE money for, again thinking of the future.

After that I would be like 'AHH I got all this cash, what the hell am I going to do with this?' lol. Would be like Hurly in Lost 'Get rid of the money! It's CURSED!' Possibly donate a load to a kids charity, or to an institute that is doing pioneering research. Maybe a medical facility. Medicine is so important too. So many people have trouble in life because of lack of resources or funding for their health.

Funny how cursed is a letter away from CURED. lol. Just noticed that.:laughing:

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am the only INPF who loves expensive clothes (only on the sale mind), can't stand cheap food, likes to live in a big beautiful house and thinks that a basic necessity is shampoo that costs half my weekly food shop? :crying:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I am the only INPF who loves expensive clothes (only on the sale mind), can't stand cheap food, likes to live in a big beautiful house and thinks that a basic necessity is shampoo that costs half my weekly food shop? :crying:
Hahahaha, no. I like nice clothes and have been known as almost the Lady Gaga, and I wouldn't mind a big, beautiful house when I grow up. What we're saying here is that once we're comfortable with what we have, if it passes that point and we had more, we wouldn't live much differently even though we could. And it generally doesn't take much for us to be comfortable.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts