Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have a long-term plan for your life? In what areas (career, relationships, etc.)? Is it important to you to stick to the plan, or do you expect that you'll probably end up changing it?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes, but it's not a detailed plan. It's a general idea like : I want to work in X field later, or I want to be in a monogamous relationship/never have kids or whatever. Immuable guidelines. Then everything I'll do kind of shifts back to that central point. But I don't plan my life out in detail like a maniac. In general I get what I want because I work for it, I planned it in advance. Then I found that the other problem that I had was what I was going to do next. What's next ? I got so caught up in that plan, that I didn't think about what I was going to do once I'll get there (younger self). Now I'm a more experienced planner who comes out with Plan A,B,C,D to Z, and the final plan "Figure it out". Works better.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yes, don't you?

If I expect to change my plan then I plan that it's going to change, it is important to stick to my plan but I often end up sticking to it somewhat, mine are not specifically detailed, more like a direction my life should progress.

I plan more in detail when it comes to short term execution, but there are people who are better in that than me.

·
Heretic
ESI 9w8 5w4 2w1
10,672 Posts
It is more like a direction and certain "items/events" I want to be a part of it.
Then I just move in that direction.
Of course there are many stumbling blocks on the way and just because I can envision the road there,
I may not have had the time nor energy to flawlessly imagine
every likely contingency and have a workable backup plan for them.
But if I had the time and energy, I would love to have such a plan.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Absolutely, I know how much money I'm gonna have in my pockets a year from now, I know when I'm gonna be able to afford finishing paying my car, I know the exact date I'm gonna be done paying my house... I'm already thinking about how much money I'm gonna need for my next car in 7-8 years and how I'm gonna get the money to pay for it.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Rather than a long-term plan, I know what I want out of life and it helps me mold the finer details. To some degree, I am unable to plan a long-term schedule because I am lacking information. There are some things that are impossible to gauge until you actually arrive at it: for instance, I may want to major in a hard science in college, and have a preference for a specific hard science, but when I actually arrive in college, I may find that some hard science departments are better than others, so I may have to scrap my preference for one that is better for my long-term goals.

·
Banned
255 Posts
Yes, I have a long term plan for my life. It's a mental note of how I want my career and personal life to go. I expect that it will change over time as I change and doors open/close. And that's fine as it's just an idea to have me heading in the right direction. I plan much more aggressively on the one year time frame and make quarterly/monthly/weekly/daily plans from that to make sure I'm doing in the short term what needs to be done to reach my mid term goals.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I have a specific vision, a specific objective I want to achieve in life. Then I proceed to work out general ways to get to that goal (such as careers, relationships etc.), finer details come later.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes. Graduating in 3 years. House in 10 years. Relationship wise, it's more complicated because it takes two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't say I have my future planned down to the day but I do have a good mental note of how I want things to progress and what events I want to be a part of. Plans could end up changing at any time though so I have to be flexible.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Its not so much that I have a long term plan for life as that I am uncomfortable with uncertainty in the long term. As an example, take death. I am uncomfortable that I may end up dying in pain. Therefore I am not happy with people who try and take my own life out of my hands - by mandating that doctor assisted suicide is criminal, that even if I chose to, I couldn't lay it down in clear terms that a trusted member of my family could request my being taken off of life support if it came down to it.

otherwise, i simply don't know where I will be in 10 years or 20 years. All I do is point in a certain direction based on my intuition (which is fuzzy) and then outline concrete steps to move in that direction. once i get to an increment in moving in that direction, I re-evaluate whether the direction needs to be adjusted slightly to the west or east and tune the concrete steps to meet this new reality.

and when I make significant mistakes that cost me a lot in terms of my own evaluation, I do berate myself and look for ways to avoid that kind of mistake all over again.

Reactions: MetaMD

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes. I have my future planned, but not in detail. Like what profession to pursue if I am unable to be successful in this one, what if I am not successful in that too, etc. Things like these are planned, and I if get more information (input), I might have to change something, and so I have made strict rules for changing plans too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Do you have a long-term plan for your life? In what areas (career, relationships, etc.)? Is it important to you to stick to the plan, or do you expect that you'll probably end up changing it?
Indeed I do,

And I've constructed various scenarios in my mind based on how the plan will change dependent on the state of the world (i.e. contingency plans).

The principal plan right now is to continue in my current profession, as an Army Officer, either until retirement, or until the body is not long capable of being useful to the military. I probably have 10 - 15 more years to give to them. I have a fairly concrete idea of what I want to do in the next 5 yeras as far as schools (both military schools and college courses) I plan to attend, and duty positions I wish to fulfill. I have a basic outline out to 10, but it is very general in nature, and quite flexible at this point.

Once my tenure there is complete, my expectation is for the current governmental system to either to be at the brink of, or to have reached the point of breaking, based on the current pattern of spending ourselves into oblivion and the majority of political decisions being made by purely emotive means rather than through rational and pragmatic analysis. If the system is indeed broken or on the brink of collapse, I plan to enter into the political realm, to fix the damned mess that previous generations (particularly the Baby Boomers, who are the generation in power now) have left for us to clean up. I do not know what function I would seek in government, as that part of the plan is too far out to get into details.

So far I'm 10 years into this plan, and the body is holding up well, so I'd say so far so good.

Naturally, that is simply the plan for what I wish to do for the state I expect the world to be in 10 - 15 years from now. I have 3 - 4 contingency plans for what I would like to do should the world be different, but I won't bore the forum to death with all that conceptual nonsense.

Edit: Fixed an egregious typo, in spite the word being "spelled correctly", it changed the context of the statement in a way I didn't like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are some vague/general/abstract ideas of what I definately want to be/achieve but it's frustrating because they wary in nature and I don't know with which to settle down. Also, I want to have a close to perfect plan (combine my wishes), because I do not want to waste time and wander through life aimlessly, or miss something important along the way. I want to build something, but how can you build something great without a plan? My life, basically.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't tell for all INTJ's, but me personally... depends on if you count my future will be designed by God's hand and I'm going to choose a path he prepared for me then yes, I have more detailed plan than anyone else.. Just I don't know it whole yet, but my plan is to walk on path that was designed for me by God. Even when I don't know what to expect, I can be sure in one thing.. It will be way better than i ever could expect, and God is preparing a future for me I'm sure. I didn't know where to go at university.. then the response was like: Go and study andragogy.. I was like.. I don't know what's that but sure i will.. And its 4th year I'm studying that and I really, really like it... better than I ever could expect.. that branch fits me much even when I always loved IT, programming, math, logic and algorithms. Still i can find use for those things in that what i actually study, helping me in better understanding of people behavior etc. :)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Do you have a long-term plan for your life?
Always. It's general and vague, but with purpose. Figuring out every little detail is a waste of time, until a critical moment along the moment occurs.

In what areas (career, relationships, etc.)?
Career is my biggest focus, but it's a bit more than that. I've always had an image of my future self in my head, and that vision is all encompassing, the career is the method to it. I'm not materialistic nor do I crave to be only career focus, but it's the path I have to take to reach that image of myself.

Is it important to you to stick to the plan, or do you expect that you'll probably end up changing it?
It's important to not spread your resources so thin that you become ineffective in all areas. Resources have to be focused to be effective in strategy.

I do expect to change it. Not as a change of the entire plan itself, but as with reaching a fork in the road. I do not expect the road itself to change, but my perception of it and the information available to me will, and from that, change of some amount is inevitable.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Of course. My plan is to have a huge passive income so i can eat and do everything i want without working 9-5 at all. How to reach that passive income is the real challange.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts