Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect maybe they don't.
I'm an INFP, I know, but at times, I wonder if I'm an INTJ, because...I really think I'm more of an INTJ than anything. I've been an INTP too, so maybe it makes sense, I always thought I was INTJ really.
But if I am, then why do I have such a bad relationship with ISTJs?
Do you guys get along with them? Or is it that just sharing auxiliar and tertiary function is not that important?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
They are quite different, living in a world of details, whereas INTJs live in the Big Picture. I've found ISTJ quite tolerable to work with, they are logical and methodical, but too dull to consider as friends.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Theoretically, no I wouldn't get along well with an ISTJ. I'd likely end up bored and annoyed.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
My father is an ISTJ and we get along well enough. We both like quiet home environments. I don't think I have any as friends, just no common language. They serve a purpose in the workplace.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Love 'em to bits.
So functional, so practical, so trustworthy, do not blow up in my face with emotional excessiveness, wonderfully sarcastic, hilarious, give functional help when I'm down instead of sitting there emoting at me and expecting that to be helpful, they spoil me rotton and take better care of me than I do of myself.

·
Registered
80 Posts
NO.

My mom is an ISTJ. One of the only things they share with us is the idea that they are always right; expect they hold this assurance because they are unacceptable of new ideas and straying from tradition. They do not enjoy talk of the theoretical, and are prone to be whiny because they take on too much responsibility to help others then complain about how over-worked they are.
We. Do. Not. Get. Along.
We can tolerate each other, especially in a working environment; yet an ISTJ is not, by any means, an INTJs best buddy.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have at least two very good friends who are ISTJ's and suspect another one of being one as well. My dad is also an ISTJ. I get along great with all of them and work with one. The thing is, sometimes one of them might do something that annoys me or whatever, but I am absolutely positive I do things that annoy them as well. It's called a human relationship...the types don't really matter, because they all have their pros and cons. You will have 'issues' with everyone in your life, the issues will just vary.

And...what Lirulin said.

I don't find them boring either. Everyone has something to offer.

Reactions: lirulin

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well, I'm an ISTJ and I get along great with my INTJ friend/deskmate. We can have fun talking about our interests or just sit comfortably beside each other in silence. In fact, I think my current boyfriend is also an INTJ, though he hasn't taken the MBTI test yet.

Based on those two, I find that we have similar values, but the N/S disparity makes conversation more interesting. They help me see the bigger picture, while I ground them if they drift too far away from Earth. =p

·
Registered
316 Posts
The only complaint I have about ISTJs is that they can be dismissive of other people/experiences at times. INTJs usually get the "arrogant egocentric" rep., and perhaps rightfully so (or not), but I think ISTJs by nature of the Guardian temperament can easily tie the INTJ in earning this label.

However, in implementing a plan, I think these two can make a productive team as they both have exception work ethic, and their skills compliment each other well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Soon to be ex husband is ISTJ with mental illness. Needless to say, we couldn't get along. The one other ISTJ I know I get along fine with, but he doesn't intellectually stimulate me by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Love 'em to bits.
So functional, so practical, so trustworthy, do not blow up in my face with emotional excessiveness, wonderfully sarcastic, hilarious, give functional help when I'm down instead of sitting there emoting at me and expecting that to be helpful, they spoil me rotton and take better care of me than I do of myself.
Lol! Serfs, meet your loving lord, The INTJ.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
My Dad is an ISTJ. He's alright.
Just don't have us working together unless somebody else in in charge.
That's probably more of a generational gap than an MBTI thing.

Our function actually compliment each other. Both perceive with Fi and judge with Te. Both do it in the same order.
The cool part is how things are processed. INTJ gather information with observation while ISTJs use imagination. Ni is like a really fast CPU, while Si is like a really fast SQL database.

INTJ = Se > Fi > Te > Ni
ISTJ = Ne > Fi > Te > Si

·
Registered
26 Posts
One of my best friends is an ISTJ.

I pity the people who work with him, he is a slave driver. Very good at reading people. You don't want to cross an ISTJ.

ISTJ's are weird - I like them.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm always surprised at how different ISTJ's can be from one another. It's usually pretty easy to figure out their type right away, which means they are on some level very similar, but they can be quite different in their self-expression - very individual - in fact.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'm always surprised at how different ISTJ's can be from one another. It's usually pretty easy to figure out their type right away, which means they are on some level very similar, but they can be quite different in their self-expression - very individual - in fact.
As can all types. Scan through the INTJ forum and you'll see a wide variety of individuals with an equally wide variety of interests and specialties. Sometimes I think the only thing we have in common is a cognitive language. Fellow INTJs are the only ones who understand me without extensive explanation and footnotes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
As can all types. Scan through the INTJ forum and you'll see a wide variety of individuals with an equally wide variety of interests and specialties. Sometimes I think the only thing we have in common is a cognitive language. Fellow INTJs are the only ones who understand me without extensive explanation and footnotes.
I'm sure you may be right, but I have noticed this in particular with ISTJ's.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I'm sure you may be right, but I have noticed this in particular with ISTJ's.
I've noticed this too.

I have a theory that our dominant function is really only our most conciously used one and that the higher functions are fed by the lower ones first.

So, if with an ISTJ Ne feeds information to Fi for filtering then to Te for organization and then finally to Si for processing, this would explain such variety as described.

·
Registered
80 Posts
One of my best friends is an ISTJ. It's great if you want your ideas to have a " Reality Check " and reconfirming anything factual. They are memory freaks. The narrow-mindedness and stubbornness is annoying though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts