Personality Cafe banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have poor memory for minutiae, but my memory for more "important" pieces of information is considerably more pronounced.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
that's not poor memory. it's 'why waste brain space on something so trivial' :tongue:.
- i just don't bother remembering specific things. send me a meeting request, and i'll permanently absorb 'tuesday' and '3pm'. and then it's not that i'll notice the date and then forget it, i won't even notice it in the first place. i'm trying to break myself of this one, but for right now it's a thing.
That may be the case. I will have to ask him when he gets back from his sabbatical.

I tend to remember the things that I do often, but the things that I don't (meeting with X at Y), even if they're recurring - I use my Outlook calendar for this and set reminders. I also write them down in my old-school academic-style agenda (which I carry pretty much everywhere, and also, I dislike carting my laptop around everywhere; unless I'm taking minutes in the department, whatever it is I can probably jot down in the portfolio I carry around also).

Did I mention that the portfolio that I have was a gift from S7? It's leather and has our department name embossed into it.. it's really very nice.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I have eidetic memory. People call me "Sheldon" because of it. I'm cool with that.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
I’m an INTJ and my memory is horrible. I’m only 21 too. Are there any other INTJs that have bad memory? Are you/they young?
It depends on what it is.

When it comes to concepts, ideas, or disciplinary knowledge, I remember that quite well. I can read through a book or textbook fairly easily, pull out the ideas that are important, and retain them with a generally high degree of accuracy. On a similar note, anything that is more emotional in nature (e.g. song lyrics) or abstract (e.g. a philosophical conversation with a friend) also tends to rank higher on recall.

On the other hand, I am just the worst when it comes to remembering sensory things. I will fail to remember the details of places of been, things I've done, people I've interacted with, or really anything that is experienced in a sensory way. Part of this is a degree of absentmindedness which is a major downfall. It's hard to describe but if, for example, I'm in an interesting conversation with someone, it's almost as if my vision shuts off and I'm only focused on and engaged with the thoughts of that conversation. Similarly, I frequently get preoccupied by things I'm thinking about or ideas such that I become completely unaware of my surroundings. So, that lack of attention to my environment obviously affects my memory because I often don't take time to really observe it in the first place. Following that, however, I do generally forget those kinds of experiences and I think it's because I don't naturally engage with the world that way or place very high importance on those types of experiences.

The only sensory experience that might be an exception to this is music, though I think the emotional nature of music compels me. The sensory nature is intertwined with the emotional or abstract side and thus captures my attention.

To answer your second question: I'm 24 at the moment but have generally always had this problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am an INTJ and i have a good memory.

I remember my elemantary school with details, my friends' first house details / neighbours, wifi passwords etc. etc.

Sometimes people surprising about that. They ask questions like that: "How you remember this? / Did you work hard on this?" But i did or doing nothing on my memory.

However, rarely i forget some details about what is i'm not interested. And that's normal. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m an INTJ and my memory is horrible. I’m only 21 too. Are there any other INTJs that have bad memory? Are you/they young?
Well my memory is okay if I try hard to focus. I don't have a great memory but I make systems for how to do things so things go smoothly. If I can figure out the system for how things work I just use that to figure it out. It's like to read you can memorize words or you can understand the structure of the language. I learn the structure so memory isn't needed.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts