Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have always been a light sleeper. Meaning I always seem to be able to wake up on the drop of a dime. I tell people its my ninja training as it really is that bad (or good).

Do other INTJ's having insomnia or trouble with sleep onset?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes I've had insomnia for as long as I can remember. Takes me ages to fall asleep, and when I do I wake up multiple times during the night and often don't fall back asleep at all. Also sometimes I go to bed and don't sleep at all, I lie awake all night staring at the ceiling. Like you I wake at the "drop of a dime".

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I generally sleep reasonably well, but if I do wake up, I don't easily go back to sleep. I was always an early riser, no matter how late I went to bed (and I like staying up late). Once my mind kicks into gear, it's unlikely to shut off again until dark, or sometimes I manage to get away with daytime naps.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I generally sleep 4-5 hours a night max. I occasionally nap as well in the evening for one to two hours.

Edit: Total night owl. I go to bed between 2:30am - 3:30 am depending on how tired I am.

Reactions: Cookie Monster

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
In my case...

I have trouble getting to sleep as it can take me some time to transition my mind to a restful state as opposed to a suck it all in man state. Even when asleep, there are still a few things that can happen:
  1. I'll sleep through fire alarms and not realize anything bad happened until much later as I just seem too detached when I do sleep.
  2. When I do get up, it takes me a few minutes to get my bearings enough to speak coherently or perform any task involving motor skills.
  3. I can kick while asleep as well as talk in my sleep that isn't really fun for anyone that is in the same bed or room as me as it isn't like I know what I'm doing, I just do it all subconsciously.
I'm pretty sure I have sleep apnea which would be a sleeping problem too.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sleeping disorders are physiological in nature and I wouldn't presume it to be stereotypical to a particular MBTI type. I would be hard-pressed to associate stereotypical sleeping patterns to a type as well. Personality may play a small part, but even that could be factored in different ways for any personality at various stages of their life or under certain conditions. Forgive me, I'm no expert, I could be wrong. It's just my logical observation forming and presenting an opinion.

That nonsense aside, I haven't used an alarm clock since I graduated high school. If it's 4:00 am, then damn it, it's time to get up! 9:00 pm and its game over.

:crazy:

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I'm not so much an insomniac as I am a night owl. My sleeping pattern is centered around getting up close to noon or shortly afterwards and going to bed after midnight. I can get to sleep fairly easily and am a heavy sleeper, but getting up is the hard part--I often oversleep.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
No problems sleeping. I can get myself to sleep really easily as well - just go over some stuff I know quite well, such as risks of an option position, Latin conjugations, the periodic table, or anything that is a list - and I'm gone in 5 minutes tops. Furthermore, I normally wake up 2 minutes before the alarm, unless I haven't slept much due to other pressing uses of my time. I sleep between 6 and 7.5 hours normally, 5 is doable for a few weeks. Longer sleep keeps me slightly sharper.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I usually sleep fine. I do sleep better and deeper if I feel that I am secure when I go to sleep. A locking bedroom door, even if I am sleeping next to someone, or out in the wilderness far from other people will achieve that.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Because I've been forced to be a morning type all my life (wake up at 5 a.m. sharp everyday even weekends), I seem like an insomniac. When in reality, I'm just having to go against my natural, genetic body clock.

If I'm ever able to go to bed at 1 a.m. and get up at 9 a.m. ... WOW, I feel so well-rested and ready for anything. If only school, work & life permitted this. I'd be Hercules. Instead, I just deal with 4 hours of on-and-off sleep and drink 3 Red Bulls a day. :-/

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
*stands up like I'm in Alcoholics Anonymous* Hi, my name is antiant and I do not have a sleeping problem, in fact I sleep quite well, I don't even remember my dreams. *sits back down*

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an overactive mind most of the time, so it can be difficult for me to get it into a restful state in order to go to sleep. However, once I am asleep, I generally have no problem staying asleep or falling back to sleep very quickly if I'm woken up. I also sleep rather deeply, one might think I was in a coma o.o

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Ok so I have always been a light sleeper. Meaning I always seem to be able to wake up on the drop of a dime. I tell people its my ninja training as it really is that bad (or good).

Do other INTJ's having insomnia or trouble with sleep onset?
I sleep really deep, but that's because I don't sleep enough.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
I take 2-3 hours to fall asleep usually. I thought this was normal and that everyone who claimed to fall asleep in under an hour was delusional/didn't remember time awake/etc.
Then I witnessed someone falling asleep in ten minutes and read all these studies that say a much shorter time is normal.
Bleh. Still, I like lying in my bed and making shit up. I can't force myself to think of boring things - it is too annoying, much as it would probably work.
I also sometimes flail in my sleep and grind my teeth and once, during a particularly caffeinated random essay-writing week, wrote "animal imagery in King Lear: discuss" on the wall when asleep. 24 cups of coffee a day can be very very weird.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I take 2-3 hours to fall asleep usually. Still, I like lying in my bed and making shit up. I can't force myself to think of boring things - it is too annoying, much as it would probably work.
I also sometimes flail in my sleep and grind my teeth.
I also take very long to fall asleep normally (thinking, thinking, thinking), although it happens less now since I've started working because I'm more tired. It's my favourite time of the day actually, "lying in my bed and making shit up." :laughing: I'm a night owl and it's the time of day when I feel most energized. Once I'm asleep though I sleep soundly. I also grind my teeth, but with less frequency now. I move around A LOT which is irrating, for others because I keep them awake and for me because I'm aware of the fact that I keep them awake.

Occasionally I wake up with a huge fright, usually caused by someone coming into my room or talking to me...I don't know why that happens. Mostly I take a very long time to wake up and I get 'sensory overload' easily when people start talking to me and asking questions, etc. I need quiet in the mornings. Well, I need quiet most of the time. :dry:

Reactions: lirulin

·
Registered
59 Posts
To be quite frank here , yes I too suffer from slumber complications therefore one of my mental states rule is that every minute must be put to use in to some significant activity that I am intrigued in .

For example

1. Reading and listening books , audio books .
2. Playing on a guitar or simply enjoying myself with music .
3. Playing Chess with two sets at the same time with myself .
4. Viewing Tv series , anime etc .
5. Playing video games .

:cool:

Reactions: L'Empereur

·
Registered
193 Posts
I always suffer sleeping issues it seems. Most nights I can only go to sleep if I spend at least an hour listening to music and the last song had to be calming or melancholy. I find that what keeps me up most often is my torrent of thoughts either due to stress or to my unending thoughts about my writing or stories. I find myself drowning in a see of stories I've cooked up in my head since I was a child. When I was young I had to share a bed with my mother after my grandmother got sick and moved in with us.(my dad traveled for his job) My mom would watch TV until 9 or 10 pm which was late for me many times I would lay awake and daydream about TV shows or anime or cartoons. Unfortunately I still do this even though I have my own room so I end up spending an hour daydreaming about stories in my head or continuations/fanfiction type thoughts.
Its all quite annoying.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts