Personality Cafe banner

Do you argue?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just anything you want to say about conflicts, do you argue with your friends, relatives, or are you friendly in general, do you like to pick on every little thing that someone is wrong about and point it out or you just don't care.

Just say whatever you feel like saying.

Reactions: akiyama

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I don't pick fights for the sake of picking fights. Uhm. Usually. And I might point out if someone's wrong but it wouldn't be because I was trying to start something, it'd be because they're wrong and I would appreciate it if someone extended me the same courtesy if the situation was reversed. Though I try and modulate this, if it's inconsequential and I know they don't wanna be corrected I won't say anything. But if they're actively spreading misinformation? Naaah.

And I debate/discuss stuff with people a lot. I suppose this might be seen as arguing. But I dunno, maybe I'm attaching an unwarranted sense of malice to the word 'argue' but when I do this it's just cuz I'm curious about something/wanna understand/test someone's PoV.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is like..

INFPs, do you dream? (day dream, dream dream, or just a ..)

Oh, you mean how do we balance our nature vs. socially acceptable presentation of selves?
Depends on our maturity level, development of Fe and shit, the exact social setting, our energy level of the day, our annoyance level of the day (fluctuates), the topic on the table, how much you care to/ or care about the other you'd like to crush to death, is this all worth it ...

Ex.:

If my family is deciding what to have for family dinner? They can argue all they want.
Details of my cousin's bridesmaid fashion? (Which I don't even start to comprehend..) I will sit there like I don't exist. Also, completely agreeable 120%. Will wear whatever you want, dear.

An annoying group of semi-educated snobs starting a shallow and/or distorted conversations regarding psychoanalytic concepts or existentialism and such? Prepare for hell.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
The impulse is always there, but now I only argue when there's profit in it for me. As far as disagreements in everyday conversation, I will do my best to express the basis of my position and rebut any reasonable challenges, but beyond that I'll just shrug and leave them to their own wrongheadedness.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I like arguing too much. However...

I rarely argue when 'away from keyboard', because:
- most people i meet are not competent enough to get into an argument in a rational way;
- there is nothing much to argue about, i don't get upset for stupid everyday routines, they are flexible for me.

Even when there is something which i would argue, i argue it in my head and that's it. There is almost no point in arguing with people. Most of the times if something bothers me i just act, i don't talk. I would prefer to talk it out but the nature of people forces me in that other direction.

I mostly argue a lot with people online instead, because:
- writing is much more efficient than speaking;
- more chance to meet competent people;
- i don't have to watch their faces get angry anyway;
- there are no consequences.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Yeah in a sense. When it's a discussion that is civil or hilarious in the sense both parties don't take the other's comments too seriously or personally, it's kind of like those golden moments of existence. But people have a lot of insecurities attached to their views on things, so they lash out by insult. It's unfortunate. And I'm usually too disinterested to change their mood enough to go another round.

Reactions: Deanna and Trec93

·
Banned
668 Posts
I try to avoid them, but when shit irks me, I speak up. However, that usually ends up in a cycle of me giving a logical reason and the other person denying my point because they are too arrogant to admit that they made a mistake or something along those lines. When that happens I start regretting ever bringing it up and just try to break the cycle any way I can.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If I'm honest with myself I must admit I don't argue that much. I won't necessarily agree either. I tend to walk away from arguments to collect my thoughts because I'm really not a quick wit sort of person. Though by the time I've collected everything I want to say it's usually too late to even make them. Regardless I'd say I'm the type to physically or passive aggressively avoid an argument.

·
Registered
INTP
1,052 Posts
The impulse is always there, but now I only argue when there's profit in it for me. As far as disagreements in everyday conversation, I will do my best to express the basis of my position and rebut any reasonable challenges, but beyond that I'll just shrug and leave them to their own wrongheadedness.
This.

Only when I'm a bit more stressed I find it hard to control the arguing impulse. Imagine that. I actually release stress by arguing with people. Most people get stressed because they argue. But I've learned over the years that even if it's fun, more often than not it's more harmful than letting it go.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Depends.. I have a soft spot for INTPs. I knew a few that did argue like hell- they had really difficult lifes, negative mindset and so, with them there was no talking about compromisses. Sometimes felt like talking to a strong feeling person- they were unable to control their emotions(since Fi is their 8th and Fe their 4th function I dont wonder why..)
Then I knew a few peaceful ones(they had also relatively nice lifes). They were simply=either they talk to you really often or they are quiet. If they argued, then only via mail, no personal conflicts.
INTP seems to me pretty much like a runaway personality. You blink and they dissapear

·
Registered
406 Posts
I like to argue for fun about pointless things that don't really matter like who would win Hulk v Thor? I also like to have open and honest intellectual discussions about various issues where the point is to explore the ideas in depth and not to necessarily reach a definitive right/wrong conclusion. The type of arguing I cannot stand and view as pointless is the I'm right/you're wrong arguments where the goal is not an open discussion but to convince the other person that they are wrong and that point won't be satisfied until they do and everyone knows it.

For example, an atheist and a christian can have an open intellectual discussion about the existence of God or they have a pointless argument where the atheist or christian tries to convince the other that their beliefs are wrong and that they are stupid for even having them. When a person has deeply held beliefs, the only person that is going to convince them otherwise is themselves.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Nope. My goal in life is to have people stfu, and arguing is very counter-productive in that aspect.

Fastest way is just to nod and agree with whatever idiocies people come up with.

·
Registered
288 Posts
YUP. Because if you're wrong, you're going to know it.:wink:

How about us 13 argumentative INTPS find these 9 passive INTPS and beat em up! Come on!

How dare you not let people know how incorrect they are.

Think about the children. :crying:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts