Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a former chronic drug user ,myself( and an Intp), I beleive that drugs are extremely prevelent amoungst Intps. For one, we lean towards deppression in the first place because of our apparent lean towards a high intelligence, and because of that, we tend to not be able to talk to people on our level. Secondly we're Perceivers, so we tend to like to take risks, or at least don't mind it. Personally, I love opiates, they numb me from all feeling except the euphoria that comes rushing through me. Stimulants too, since they help the introverted thinking function. They help me think more clearly and make it easier to verbalize my thoughts more confidently. Alcohol too, brings out the extroverted side, making it easier to talk to people. I've done more, but that isn't really important. So, do Intp's lean towards drug use?:shocked:

·
Registered
785 Posts
The reason we lean towards depression is because we have a hard time communicating with others and we are misunderstood a lot, so we feel alienated... Not because we lean towards high intelligence. If we had social skills even as some sort of super-geniuses we would have a much lower risk of depression.

Personally, I am very attracted to drugs, but I only smoked pot several times in my life (even though I had 1000 chances to become a real junkie). Maybe its more of my Fi side that tells me not to cross my own principles (i have a higher Fi than the average INTP). I always feel so bad after I smoked pot even though it was loads of fun and I can't find any logical reason that would approve Pot being illegal.

Edit: You need to get out of your comfort zone... Release your Ne and Fe and you will have no problems in social situation. The real problem is that most of us are so stuck up in our Ti that we have no idea what should we do in a social environment if we can't just talk about our own theories all the f***ing time and debate with others. Learn to adjust and just be have fun.

Edit number 2: People who know me think I'm extremely bright and ingenious and I know how is it to 'not be understood' or to be teased for your weird obsessions on science and philosophy. But hey, my Fe is really highly developed now so I have no problems spending 3 or 4 hours with an ESFP girl, ESTJ guy and the ESFJ guy talking about their stuff...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
INTPs aren't really the only ones. All the ENTPs I know (including myself) were/are drug users. We weren't much into opiates and stimulants though. We were pretty much purely into psychedelics. But the INTPs I know are drug users, and one in particular likes opiates quite a bit.

I read somewhere those with higher intelligence are more prone to drug use in general, so it's definitely a possibility

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read somewhere those with higher intelligence are more prone to drug use in general, so it's definitely a possibility[/QUOTE] Exactly. I think I'd love psychedelics too if I could get my hands on them..... Didn't George Carlin, who was an entp, heavily into stimulants?

·
Banned
541 Posts
My INTP buddy got me into smoking week back in 8th grade. He loves coke nowadays. Oddly, he's the most composed drug user I've ever met. He is doing phenomenal in school, and nobody but his closest friends would know that he does any drugs other than weed. I would guess that all INT* types are fascinated by drugs. My INTJ best friend does a lot of drugs too and does really well in school. They seem to enjoy the concept of 'freeing their minds'. And when INT* types do drugs, it really seems as if peer pressure has no influence on them, as if drugs was something they consciously knew they wanted to do even as children.

·
Registered
785 Posts
They seem to enjoy the concept of 'freeing their minds'. And when INT* types do drugs, it really seems as if peer pressure has no influence on them, as if drugs was something they consciously knew they wanted to do even as children.
I would agree with this.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I can't speak for other INTPs, but personally I have zero interest in doing any recreational drugs. It's not for any "high and mighty" reason, I just... don't get the appeal. Oh well.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Before about seven years ago there wasn't one I wouldn't try.. and keep trying if I liked how it made me feel. I blame -boredom-. Mhm. And I don't recommend this as an escape from boredom. Just sayin' yeah, I went there. Mistake.

Reactions: darksoul

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Every INTP I've known dabbled around. NFs tend toward it too, I think. But nothing that would promote a real physical dependence, at least not for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would think drug use probably has a higher correlation with intelligence than personality types, though I could see certain types being more prone to experimentation. However, if you just knew I was an ISTJ you probably wouldn't guess that I have quite the past with a variety of substances (mostly psychedelic). I enjoyed several mind expansion chemical experiences in the past. I wouldn't think this would be common among my personality type...but who knows.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've read a survey somewhere that INTPs were most likely to experiment with drugs of all the types. Not sure how legitimate it was so I couldn't say for certain. I done my fair share of experimenting though and definitely favor psychedelics (minus pot).

Something I've noticed though is N's tend to do it for a change in perspective/expanding your mind while S's seem to do it more for sensory purposes (i.e. "makes you feel tingly and shit"). Also, many of the N types I've met liked to experiment but not go overboard, maybe doing LSD/mushrooms once every few months and smoking pot here and there in between. The S types, in my experience, were the ones who did them daily, dropped out, etc. Anyone else notice anything similar?

·
Registered
618 Posts
It's an interesting idea for sure, but I doubt this 'paradigm' is INTP exclusive. Being a stoner myself and INTP, all I can say as far as my own experience with drugs go is that they alleviate my boredom, and more importantly...I like experimenting with certain drugs. In particular cannabis, read some very interesting journals about endogenous opioids and their role in addictive behaviours, got me even more interested in drug use...so that, for me, as an INTP would seem to suggest that there is some correlation between us and drug use.

However, many of my 'friends' (more like close acquaintances) at University are also recreational drug users and none of them are INTPs. Obviously that's too small a sample to generalise anything externally, but they are all, what I deem 'incredibly extraverted' and their reasons for why they take drugs would be different to mine. So I don't really think personality type can really cater for ones drug use.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Intresting concept. I don't know if it's true that INTPs are more likely to use drugs but in my case it is true.

I was addicted to meth in my mid 20's and did a 30 day live-in treatment program in Nov. of 2000. I've been clean from all stimulants since then (crystal meth, coke and diet pills).

I do smoke a lot of pot. Nearly everyday. And I have since I was in my early 20s. For some reason it gives me a boost of energy, unlike most who get all gooey & lazy. I find that marijuana is in fact some form of a stimulant to me. I don't know if it is because I am an INTP or not. I don't know anyone else (or anyone else that I would consider a friend) who smokes as much or as ofter as I do...So maybe I haven't been of stimulants for 11 years, if one considers pot a stimulant.

And just FYI...Pot is legal where I live. I have a medical lisence for it and I only by it from legal medical dispensories.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
All of the definite INTPs I know have been heavily into drug experimentation. One of them has tried every legal and illegal high known to man. He is now a severely depressed alcoholic.

That's not to say other types I know haven't been involved with drugs, because they have. It's just that the INTPs seem to have experienced the greatest variety.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I swear there was a thread on drug use a few weeks ago. I'll say it again: I have no desire to. It seems like a really bad decision to start.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I swear there was a thread on drug use a few weeks ago. I'll say it again: I have no desire to. It seems like a really bad decision to start.
Ah! I thought I was alone in this thread! No longer! hahaha.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts