Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my best friends is an ENFP, but since I'm an ISTP, I can only spend a few hours with him before his Ne tires me out. My two good INTP friends hate ENFPs, but shouldn't they get along considering they share Ne?

Does being around an ENFP strengthen an INTP's Ne or just drive him/her insane?

·
Registered
823 Posts
With my experiences with ENFPs, we tend to feed off of each other and sort of go into our own little world. We get onto our own topics - even if its a group of friends etc - and we sort of have a hard time staying in tune with the group because we go all Ne crazy on each other and everyone else gets sort of confused haha. A lot of times we take it too far to the point where the rest of our friends just leave us be haha.

However, I have also found that I have a hard time getting to know ENFPs on more than just a superficial level. We get along quite nicely and have a lot of fun doing things together, but it is awkward and strained when I try to have deeper conversations with them... or maybe its just me. My sample size is only like, 3 sooo.... haha

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
If we just 'goof' around in Ne ways, we're fine.

However, things go to hell very quickly once we enter a discussion. I'm basically trying to build a consistent rational argument that is reflected in external reality, and sometimes I feel like the ENFP is justifying possibilities spawning from their personal value set as if they were hard facts. I don't mind opinions, but an opinion/beliefs are just reflections of what one wants to believe, it's not hard data. Just because I want to believe something is true because it would reinforce my values doesn't mean I can say it's true; I still have to admit how secure that piece of knowledge is and weigh it accordingly.

Usually whether I get along with a particular ENFP depends on how much they are inclined to argue from that basis. I've had a few blatant ENFP friends who were just fun and passionate to be with.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Having an ENFP sister, and ENFP (maybe) dad, an ENFP cousin, and an ENFP crush (lol), I've had some experience with them.
Using Ne seems to be the only way I'm actually able to communicate with any of them that I don't know extremely personally, and I have problems speaking with my ENFP sister for more than a few minutes. Mostly it's a joke or two about anime (...interestingly, my ENFP sister, cousin, and crush all like/liked anime... actually, my cousin's the one who recommended Fullmetal Alchemist to me... hehe) and that's about it.
I'm so socially awkward though anyway, and I barely talk in any case, so I guess I don't really know. But it's definitely hard to get past a superficial relationship with them.

...I don't hate them. And the ENFPs that I know are fun to be around. So I guess I like them. But it would really depend on the person.

·
Banned
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm basically trying to build a consistent rational argument that is reflected in external reality, and sometimes I feel like the ENFP is justifying possibilities spawning from their personal value set as if they were hard facts.
That's one reason I can't argue well with them. They have too many unshakable Fi-stemming morals to use instead of logically sound evidence :p

·
Banned
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Using Ne seems to be the only way I'm actually able to communicate with any of them that I don't know extremely personally
How exactly do you use Ne to communicate? (dumb question, I know) I use Se kind of like INTPs use Ne in terms of communication, but my randomness comes of off impulses I get from my senses.

Edit: This actually explains why even my Ne friends think I'm random. They have no clue where it comes from!

·
Registered
729 Posts
One of my best friends is an ENFP, but since I'm an ISTP, I can only spend a few hours with him before his Ne tires me out. My two good INTP friends hate ENFPs, but shouldn't they get along considering they share Ne?

I don't know about other INTPs but... I have a love-hate relationship with the two ENFPs that I know... but I'd say just sharing a function isn't enough.
In any case... what I started out liking was their likability ... their easy going manner, and their friendliness. It's infectious. And comforting. But what got under my skin was, in one case, my friend's inability to focus on one person (I liked him but he was a major flirt), and in the other case, he was just too arrogant for me to tolerate for too long.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah, I like my ENFP friends.

We tend to go off into Ne-land a lot...
We start connecting random things together and then going off onto tangents about something, only to go off on another tangent, until we come to the conclusion that dragons must have something to do with umbrellas via black holes and time warps.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
How exactly do you use Ne to communicate? (dumb question, I know) I use Se kind of like INTPs use Ne in terms of communication, but my randomness comes of off impulses I get from my senses.

Edit: This actually explains why even my Ne friends think I'm random. They have no clue where it comes from!
Hmm... making connections in my head, I guess. Like, say we're talking about penguins. Then I remember some person who looked like a penguin in a TV show, and then thinking about TV shows makes me think about anime, and then I remember some thing funny in a certain anime, and then I talk about it. Something like that. That was kind of a bad example, but that's basically what I do...

·
Banned
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm... making connections in my head, I guess. Like, say we're talking about penguins. Then I remember some person who looked like a penguin in a TV show, and then thinking about TV shows makes me think about anime, and then I remember some thing funny in a certain anime, and then I talk about it. Something like that. That was kind of a bad example, but that's basically what I do...
Do you find that the energy stemming from this manifests itself in a physical manner? Like after talking to a strong Ne, do you find yourself getting physically jumpy and excited (like a 5 year old) or just mentally so?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Do you find that the energy stemming from this manifests itself in a physical manner? Like after talking to a strong Ne, do you find yourself getting physically jumpy and excited (like a 5 year old) or just mentally so?
Both, actually. But mostly in the moment, not so much afterwards. Afterwards (maybe five or ten minutes later), I'm usually in a, "WTF was that?" state. And then I get really tired.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
My experience with those that at less I suspect of being ENFP has been positive. Unlike their XSFX cousins we can discuss a broad range of topics and typically they are good natured and well rounded. I stay away from serious debate with them however as their tend to get defensive when their belief system is challenged but not near so as SF types. I'd happily trade all the ESFJs for ENFPs any day.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Like any type, there are good and bad ones. But as a rule I enjoy spending time with ENFP's.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I love ENFP's, but I can't "let it fly" like I can with ENTP's. I can easily offend ENFP's if I speak openly and honestly about how I see things. On the other hand, they have a warmth to them that ENTP's sometimes lack.

Ne-to-Ne conversation is a blast. It's goofy, carefree, hilarious, and just lots of fun. It's kind of rejuvinating in the sense that it's unconventional, non-status-quo, mental ping-pong for the soul. It's very energizing.

Ne-doms are a handful sometimes though. They can be very, very scatterbrained, unorganized, always late (and don't care that they wasted your time), and they sometimes can take the attitude of "oh well, if you don't like the fact that I don't care, then too bad for you." It's hard to convince them that they're acting selfishly - cuz they don't want to hear it. So, if it's just joking around and throwing around ideas, then it's lots of fun. But, ENFP's don't always take kindly to the Ti analysis of things. They just want to float around without really having their feet on the ground at all - at least it seems that way sometimes - and that can frustrate an INTP after awhile.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Do ENFPs tire you guys out quickly?
If I'm 1-on-1 with them, we can usually hang out all day. Two things that tire me out about them:

1. If they are in total scatterbrain mode and there is no logic or structure to what they are doing. "Let's go to Disneyland! Oh wait, I forgot my sweater back at the house. Can we drive 30 minutes back and get my sweater? Oh, and can we stop at my friends house on the way back - she said she would loan me her scarf. Also, I don't have any cash, so can you get me into Disneyland and I'll pay you back next week? Oh hold on, I need to call my brother real quick and ask him something. Hey, there's McDonald's...stop real quick so we can get some food!" I can only handle so much of that.

2. When they're in those "woe is me" moods.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
My sister is an ENFP and I get along pretty well with her. Since my sample size is too small, I can't really say that I love or hate ENFPs. But if they are similar to my sister, then I generally like them most of the time, and for the rest of the time I would just want to slap them.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
It's not the Ne scatterbrainedness I mind; I'm like that too. I'm almost never without at least a few NP friends...INFP's, ENTP's, other INTP's...most of my friends are NP's actually and almost always have been, but almost never ENFP's. I guess it's sort of a Ti-Fi clash. But I get along great with INFP's...go figure. Maybe the Fi plus dominant Ne as opposed to secondary is just enough to make them harder to relate to? I dunno.

It makes sense that there'd be more of a clash with ISTP's, because Se and Ti are both supposed to be weak spots for ENFP's. Same with Ne and Fi for ISTP's, supposedly. In the case of INTP's, only Ti/Fi is getting in the way, and it tends to be less visible, since it's an introverted function.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I've currently been with an ENFP for a good while now, and it's been pretty amazing. We can have ridiculous, absurd and silly conversations and have so much fun with it, because the Ne connection is so engaging. The Ti/Fi difference is obviously rather large, but with patience, we can both communicate and help each other in areas the other lacks, and we do this without much difficulty. I find it to be a great complement, because we both have the same ways of gathering information but different ways of using it, so there's common ground but also always intrigue and something to learn.

From what I've heard of other INTP-ENFP relationships, we have the typical dynamic where I'm hilariously awkward (which she of course finds adorable) and she showers me with affection. When she has that sort of Fi withdrawal I can reassure her and be close, while she can help me understand emotion (helping to develop my Fe), so our disparity in depth of feeling is actually quite complementary. An ENFP can seem scattered and even nonsensical but there really is depth there, just of a different sort.

So what I'm saying is, I love ENFPs ^_^

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.