Personality Cafe banner

DO YOU AS AN INTP PREFER MMORPG'S OR FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS?

• MMORPG'S

Votes: 45 66.2%
  • FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS

Votes: 23 33.8%
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DO INTP'S PLAY VIDEO GAMES MORE THAN OTHER PERSONALITY GROUPS?

I go through phases but have at times been totally absorbed by a video game. I was totally addicted to MMORPG's. (online adventure games with other live humans from all over the world) Still am, but have been on the wagon for awhile. I was consumed by FFXI for over three years! It was the best game ever! Group play was not required, but you learned right away most solo playing was verrrry slow. Thus you were encouraged to play as a group, use your different skills, and as a team take down the BAM. (Big Ass Monster) The game is still being played but it played out for me. Let's see there was LOTRO, Guild Wars, AION, Everquest, Star Wars The Old Republic, Rift, and of course every players heroin; WOW. I've left and went back to WOW like a bad relationship, but great sex. Do you play? How many hours a week during your most addicted period? Do INTP's prefer MMORPG's to first person shooters? :shocked:

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I loathe MMO's. I absolutely despise the team work required. The whole someone-is-depending-on-me/I-am-depending-on-someone(s) dynamic is off-putting for me in the extreme. I also don't like shooters much because I get too excited and twitchy, miss all my shots and then die a horrible bullety death.

RPG's though? And strategy? Fun stuff. I'm enjoying XCOM like crazy right now.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
MMOs are awful. With all the games available, why would you ever play an MMO? Stale as old dog turds.

I'm not too impressed with FPSs either. There are no good ones to play atm. I'm longing for a new Unreal Tournament.

I like 4X and spectacle fighters.

The new "rogue lite" genre is interesting, but there are no strong contenders yet. Rogue legacy is probably the best one so far.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Yes I think so.

My brother is a 31 year old INTP and he still loves playing video games.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
MMO's have been the bane of my existence for a long time back in the past. These days they all suck, though. Sole reason I picked them is because I'd still play MMO's over FPS.

These days I'm pretty much limiting my gaming to Dota 2 for most part. Whatever new term did they create for those type of games? MOBA or something. Well, whatever. Ideally I spend more time outside / drinking / working out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Two of my close friends and me play video game a lot (we are all INTP)

We play many kinds of game, I mean... We're not really restricting on types of video game...
(but I don't really like those 'tactical-chess-like-RPG' though)

FPS is fine...
MMORPG... Depends on 'what kind of people playing in it'
I used to play Ragnarok Online back then... Before it becomes full of bots and all...*sob* right now I only play offline games... Maybe looking forward for Elder's Scroll Online...

*giddy*

Reactions: Ugunti

·
Registered
435 Posts
I used to play a games quite a lot about three+ years ago, but in the last year and a half I've almost stopped completely. I spend maybe 0-5hours~ every week playing games.

My brother (INTJ) seemingly plays non-stop. I don't think I could ever imagine myself playing a video game for 8hours+ straight anymore.

I dislike FPS games and I get bored of MMO's very quickly. The only games that keep my interest are ones that have any sort of player vs player element (Starcraft 2, Dota2, Hearthstone, etc).

·
Registered
INTP
1,752 Posts
I don't play FPS games or MMORPGs...

But INTPs really don't play any more video games than any other type. All my friends and my brother are way bigger gamers than I am and I'm the only INTP in the bunch. My brother is an ISTJ and plays video games like 5+ hours a day... and my friends all have large gaming libraries. Compare that to me who pretty much only plays a JRPG called "Tales of" extensively, then pulls out one of a handful of other games once in a blue moon ((or once a year))... Yeah, I'm not really a "gamer" :p I mostly use it as personal downtime at home after a long day when I don't feel like interacting with anyone, so I don't really do any multiplayer.

Why would INTPs like games more than any other type? Especially when there's a lot of different genres for games out there and most people would find something that suits them... Even old people like my xSTJ dad plays some video games.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I prefer non-MMO RPGs. MMOs are based on teamplay and I always prefer to do things alone. Plus MMOs can be ridiculously repetitive and boring and they rarely have any worthwhile story or characters. And I just get bored with FPS games after an hour or so. Why only those two categories?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I had to mark FPS, because technically my favorite game is one. It's just not a conventional shooter at all. Frictionless skiing, high flying jetpacks, explosive gravity-defying projectiles, and at the center of it all, a tempting flag.

Ladies (?) and gentlemen, I present, TRIBES

500 hours later, I still suck. But it's the amazing and engaging flow of the game that has kept me at it for so long. I don't find games like MMOs at all addictive, because the gameplay itself is mind-numbing and not immersive to me. Nor is it especially interesting.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have concluded that I am the only INTP who doesn't play video games or watch anime. I do like them, but I'd rather spend my time doing something more useful.
I don't play video games or watch anime either. I do like some RTS games, Rise of Nations and Defcon, but it's months ago I last played.

Reactions: Wolfrahm
1 - 20 of 70 Posts