Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
When I attempt to make music with my vocal cords, its more like a bellow rather than singing. I don't mind activating my baritone voice in public though. Music is pretty liberating and I don't feel self conscious when it comes to singing. Dancing is another story though. My legs and feet refuse to coordinate with the rest of my body. I trip and fall while playing DDR.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I can sing softly, but not loudly. I'd sing in public, but only of my own accord. I don't take requests. XD
I don't dance, though. I've never tried to.
Except for the fist pump.
...which isn't even a dance.

·
Banned
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I read that INTPs perform confidently whenever they feel that they have enough experience or knowledge about something. Personally, I wouldn't do either because no matter how much dancing I see and memorize, or how many songs I privately practice, it never feels completely mastered and I just hold back. I don't know, I guess it's a bit more subjective than type.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I never dance. Never have, most likely never will. Ever.

I sing sometimes, but only when I'm alone, or when I'm damn certain no one will hear me, and I only do it because I write songs. With my band's vocalist being an exception, no one has ever heard me sing, not even my parents.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I was 13. I just became a man according to the Jewish tradition. I practiced, with the encouragement of my mom, the John Travolta Saturday Night Fever dance with a beautiful dance instructor. She was my dance partner for the dance. Nevertheless, at the party, I show up in a white tuxedo and attempt to drop my moves. Needless to say, this awkward 13 year kid had no reason what made him go out of his comfort zone and perform in front of a bunch of people. I still don't know how I mustered up the balls to do it. I told my parents to get rid of the footage.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I used to sing in public, but only with specific circumstances and clear separation between audience and performer. And now only on camping trips in the dark.

I rarely dance, but can be persuaded by the right people, music and alcohol combination. And there s lots of arm movement. Kind of like an awkward duck.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Heck yes I do haha. I wont just go out and sing/dance in public, but when I'm around my friends, I'll just belt it out when a song I know comes on if I'm in the mood. I am far more reluctant to dance, however and that is almost solely done when I have had a bit to drink.

I do however, know how to shuffle. hahaha

·
Registered
729 Posts
I do both... but not in public. I'm actually supposed to be singing at this Open Mic thing at my school... that may not happen.
You're right though, I wouldn't do something like that unless I was in a group of people I was comfortable with or if I knew what I was doing and people actually wanted to see it. Otherwise, I'd just exaggerate everything and do it all wrong and make myself look silly so that people couldn't laugh at me for being serious AND doing it wrong.
But I used to dance in a troupe-type thing until I was about 12.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I only sing in the shower.
I only dance in front of my mirror, alone.

I think the only time I danced publicly, and obliviously, was when I passed my scholarship exam for college. I was so absurdly happy I started to do my private little ethnic dance in front of around 15 other students who were there to see the results.

Tsk. Mortifying memory.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
5,197 Posts
These days... I can't hold pitch to save my life... or even a box of kittens from being sacrificed.

It doesn't even sound right under auto-tune.

I may occasionally vox as the spirit or an excessive round of shots take me... but even then it's more likely to be taking a part of a dysfunctional choir. Or at least after turning the music up.

And yeah... let me bust a move with eastern european folk dances and fertility rituals that all look suspiciously like the robot.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
Well, I read that INTPs perform confidently whenever they feel that they have enough experience or knowledge about something. Personally, I wouldn't do either because no matter how much dancing I see and memorize, or how many songs I privately practice, it never feels completely mastered and I just hold back. I don't know, I guess it's a bit more subjective than type.
I was fine performing music (instrumental, I don't sing much nowadays) once I reached a particular level of competence. I had a much harder time expressing myself physically (like in dance); part of this is likely to be lack of competence (I feel clumsy), but part of it's because I don't naturally express myself via my body and feel very self-conscious/vulnerable. If I felt competent, it would be easier. I'll dance around and sing in my private space from time to time, if I'm feeling goofy, but never around anyone. I think competence is a big issue for NTs.

I will, however, dance with friends at huge public dances, especially if I've had a few drinks. My talent there is more "total goofiness/lack of inhibition" rather than actual skill; I'm having fun with a bunch of other people who don't care.

My INTP son was actually in a musical this past spring, his girlfriend got him to try out with her and they both made the chorus and had to learn to sing and dance; he actually looked crazy-goofy much of the time (he seemed kind of over-the-top forced in the emotions he was putting off) and I wasn't used to seeing him emote nearly that much ever, but I was impressed that he actually learned the intricate dance steps/choreography and seemed to enjoy it, even if it was totally a new experience for him.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I sing when I'm alone but I can count the number of times I've danced on the fingers of one hand. I'm the guy who stands at the bar at a nightclub drinking while every man and his dog dances with abandon.

Th thought of going out there and making a fool of myself fills me with an indescribable dread. I would like to overcome the fear even only face up to it. I don't care if I can't dance well, I hate being held captive by my own fear.

Just not today :)

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I perform in musicals as a hobby, so yeah. I have a natural talent for singing and even certain types of acting (kind of impressionistic, character acting, not so much the serious roles), but not for dancing. Don't get me wrong, I love dancing, and do it a lot at home, but aside from the musicals (which obviously involve a lot of practice) and dance classes I don't do it all that much in public. I do it for a joke a lot in public though, especially at work. My lack of coordination brightens peoples' days a little. :happy:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts