Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Can one not think? Even when I think of "nothing" I'm thinking of everything... I know this does not make sense. I want to try meditation one of these day. I mean... when I'm asleep my brain is working something out, everyone dreams even if they won't remember, dreams are simply your subconscious thinking for you behind the scenes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The only way I can stop thinking is to get myself to think about something smaller and less important, like what I need to do today. The worst is when I'm reading blogs or forums at night about really in-depth topics and then I have to go to bed with thoughts running through my head like an endless internal monologue. That's when it takes hours to get to sleep.

Yes, beginning to mid-orgasm
Lol yes, that. But the rest of the time I'm still thinking about all kinds of things!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sometimes I can stop thinking for a very short term by focusing on a very simple repetitive motion such as cleaning out my electric shaver or washing dishes. I guess I think more of my sensations when I do that, or the motion, than thinking some random thought about politics or something.

·
Registered
915 Posts
When in sexual mode I focus on the one thing and the thinking stops...

Also when I need to focus on some physical exercise - sport or bicycler riding, I got to pay attention to the road so any daydream could cause boom...

Other than that I cant stop thinking for a longer period, it is just automatic and it goes on and on... No matter what the topic is, there is always something to be analysed... Sometimes it is quite terrible, especially when reading I tend to think about the new concepts and I usually stop reading... When in time pressure of deadline it can be really impractical.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Considering our brains don't fully stop working until you die, I doubt anyone stops thinking, for instance, you essentially need to think about breathing right now.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes, we can, but you need to learn how and meditation is the best way. My most comfortable moments are when in deep meditation, when you fill yourself with unconditional love and nothing else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nope. When I try to stop thinking, I begin thinking about not thinking, and that makes me think about whatever thoughts lead me to decide to stop thinking, and it typically branches out from there into infinity.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If I stop thinking and just zone out.. it's almost like a disturbance in the force and something just isn't right. This happens a lot when I drive because sometimes I just space out to the music I'm listening to and feel like a zombie. My mind usually runs rampant constantly, which is probably why I've dealt with anxiety and such in the past.

·
Banned
701 Posts
Sometimes there are periods in which I cannot keep a line of thought. Even then, I am thinking but without detail and without linear patterns.
That's my opposite, there are times when I can think in an organized way but most of the time my Ti is wandering.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
do you ever just stop it? how?
Are you implying that some non-INTPs are able to just stop thinking?!

How do they do it?
For how long can they do it?
Don't they think about not thinking when trying not to think?
Are these people alive or dead when using these abilities of halting their thinking?
Are the people capable of doing this all in government?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts