Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Australia,

First post here and some very interesting reading on ISTJ's. I have only just started researching my personality type and it's uncanny how many of you sound like me in so many ways (thoughts, hobbies etc).

Reason I started looking at this is because I have been trying to join the local police force. I recently did not get through (for the 2nd time) despite putting in 110% effort. I had to sign a document stating that I acknowledge that they won't tell me why, however a friend within the police found out it was the psych test that was the sole reason. Without any further info than that, I am thinking it could be related to a lack of empathy or similar traits.

From reading reading about ISTJ's a lot of website's list police or detectives as a good career fit, so I am a bit confused.

Anyone here in the police, or had similar rejections due to a psych test?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome from Victoria, Australia.

As a kid I wanted to join the army but switched plans to the Federal Police and was very serious about preparing for it until after I started University when changed to go into religious work.
I was in the Air Force Cadets and heard a lot of conversation about psych tests for the Defence Force. From what I heard most of the pitfalls were in the direction of coming across as too militant or reckless. The ADF likes to be professional rather than reckless, and some people I spoke to perceived the US military as reckless. The career advice is for the USA. The Police Force may have a similar cultural difference. I'm not saying you or ISTJs in general are reckless but your ISTJ honesty may have caused you to give answers they didn't like. I say this because I think I could have had that problem if I had ended up applying.

The Police Force of your particular state will have its own culture and want to recruit people that fit into it well. If you haven't yet, consider going to University. It will only improve your chances of being accepted in and might help you find alternative career prospects.

I was also very pleased to find so many people like me on this sub-forum. I hope you continue to find the forum helpful.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The ADF likes to be professional rather than reckless, and some people I spoke to perceived the US military as reckless.
As someone in the US military, believe me, "recklessness" is discouraged at all levels.

The thing to keep in mind is that a lot of those websites operate on stereotypes. ISTJs are seen as Type 1 robots, and thus should be a good fit in any career field that's seen as a "by-the-book" approach. Take it with a grain of salt.

·
Banned
281 Posts
If you ask me. Yes i still have faith in police force just because if their is no police officers there will be laws. And by no laws their be no peace... I can continue this until sunset to sunrise. But i know you know the rest ^^

·
Registered
432 Posts
As someone in the US military, believe me, "recklessness" is discouraged at all levels.
I'm glad; and I'm sure bastardisation, fraternisation, insubordination, and poor marksmanship are discouraged too. Indeed, they ought to be, though even in this golden age of chivalry some may fail to live up to such high ideals.

·
Banned
944 Posts
I don't think empathy is part of being a cop.
ESTJ's are supposed to be plentiful in police and they're some of the least empathetic people.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I'm glad; and I'm sure bastardisation, fraternisation, insubordination, and poor marksmanship are discouraged too. Indeed, they ought to be, though even in this golden age of chivalry some may fail to live up to such high ideals.
I'm not sure I agree with you on all that, I just hate seeing foreigners talk about the "US military" like they know anything beyond news snippets.

·
Auntie Duckie
2,720 Posts
I don't think empathy is part of being a cop.
It certainly is. You can't get reliable, actionable information from victims without empathy. Walking up to a rape victim in a hospital and saying "So, what's your story?" won't win you any points with the person who was just raped.

You will also use empathy in most interviews and interrogations.

IMHO it's a critical skill for a police officer to have.

-ZDD

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
There can be significant difference between the qualities needed for the average (or standard or stereotypical performance) and for the best (or outstanding performances) in an occupation - police being a perfect example.
Just because the standard fit of the occupation is A, B or C does not mean that the best or most useful person is that; the outstanding performers are Z or Q.

Organisations' recruiting strategies change to shift the personnel to Q or Z, if the organisation realise what it is they need for outstanding performance.

Reactions: Zombie Devil Duckie
1 - 9 of 9 Posts