Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
5,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just wondering. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind being one of few guys amongst a coupe of hundred women.

But didnt expect Science to repel men.

Anyone with experience who can confirm if this is the norm or just a one off?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Yes we do. Though we are a visible minority generally speaking.

It also requires the right temperament and passion and interest for the subject matter as the deeper study you go into the greater the complexities and challenges that you have to grapple with and come to understand.

Another interesting observation I found in study is that most of the research and development and the best instructors, teachers and most experienced individuals out there were men. Perhaps because their motivations were clear and because they were a minority out to prove themselves pushed them to those places, that could be the reason.

Health science is quite broad though, any particular branch that piqued your interest?

Reactions: Caveman Dreams

·
Banned
5,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes we do. Though we are a visible minority generally speaking.

It also requires the right temperament and passion and interest for the subject matter as the deeper study you go into the greater the complexities and challenges that you have to grapple with and come to understand.

Another interesting observation I found in study is that most of the research and development and the best instructors, teachers and most experienced individuals out there were men. Perhaps because their motivations were clear and because they were a minority out to prove themselves pushed them to those places, that could be the reason.

Health science is quite broad though, any particular branch that piqued your interest?
So far the topic I am studying is on infectious disease. But it has rekindled my passion in science as that was the only topic I really enjoyed at school. But am only on the first topic of the first module. Later modules include Cell Biology and Human Biology which I am looking forward to.

Am enjoying the fact that it goes right down to a study of things at a microscopic level as well as well as case studies like Jon Snow and the Water pump.

Am guessing you have more knowledge of the subject than me.

Reactions: Crimson Ash

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
So far the topic I am studying is on infectious disease. But it has rekindled my passion in science as that was the only topic I really enjoyed at school. But am only on the first topic of the first module. Later modules include Cell Biology and Human Biology which I am looking forward to.

Am enjoying the fact that it goes right down to a study of things at a microscopic level as well as well as case studies like Jon Snow and the Water pump.

Am guessing you have more knowledge of the subject than me.
I was the same as well. Really enjoyed the study of biology in school.

As far as I am aware everyone who studies in any field related to health sciences has to undergo study of biology right down to the microscopic level though the level of detail depends on what field you go into.

Personally I have the basics in cell biology and human physiology but my main focus on study is in human gross anatomy.

Reactions: Caveman Dreams

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
My intro courses were nicely balanced between male and female in high school. In college, I studied more sports/exercise related stuff, and there were a lot of dudes in the intro courses. I can confirm that it was mainly guys hanging around the strength & conditioning coaches after class in the sports/exercise area. Those courses are classified as health sciences, at least at my previous college.

·
Banned
5,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Men go to medical schools and physiotherapy, but other health sciences and biology are predominantly women.
Thats interesting as at the moment Im more interested in the Biology side of things.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,476 Posts
Thats interesting as at the moment Im more interested in the Biology side of things.
I don't know why biology is so favored by women, or rather why men don't like it that much. I sure as hell love it. Health studies though it makes more sense because it's people-related and women are a little more interested in that than men. I studied dietetics and men were a rarity.

·
Banned
5,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know why biology is so favored by women, or rather why men don't like it that much. I sure as hell love it. Health studies though it makes more sense because it's people-related and women are a little more interested in that than men. I studied dietetics and men were a rarity.
Looking back to when I was at school I was one of the few guys who enjoyed science. Ive had a few regrets over the years about messing up at school and not doing as well as I could. This does feel like a second chance.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,177 Posts
In my class there are a lot of girls who are more interested in chemistry than biological sciences (including myself)
Career wise I know a few guys are wanting to do microbiology/biomedical sciences.

What do you mean by "health sciences" - studying medicine? Laboratory work is perhaps not the same thing but I do not think that biological sciences are dominated by women or anything like that, unless teaching counts.

Veterinary work, nursing and midwifery are obviously mostly women though. Those who do lab work, research or engineering don't tend to be men though, seems to be a mix of both.

·
Banned
5,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In my class there are a lot of girls who are more interested in chemistry than biological sciences (including myself)
Career wise I know a few guys are wanting to do microbiology/biomedical sciences.

What do you mean by "health sciences" - studying medicine? Laboratory work is perhaps not the same thing but I do not think that biological sciences are dominated by women or anything like that, unless teaching counts.

Veterinary work, nursing and midwifery are obviously mostly women though. Those who do lab work, research or engineering don't tend to be men though, seems to be a mix of both.
The degree is in Health Sciences, it is heavily focused on Biology with a bit of mental health thrown in as well.
It can lead to Labaratory work, but taking it one step at a time, do have plans on what I want to do once i get the degree though.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Our company specializes in vocational rehabilitation, and there's a 10+:1 gender ratio. The research behind medical, behavioural, and return to work outcomes (functional ability, mental capacity, and behavioral assessment) from drugs, physiotherapy, even encouragement to go out and join a gym class is interesting Imo, and a shame more do not enter into the field.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Way off according to my experiences during high school, under- and grad school. The sciences were full of dudes. All of them, even biology and sports.

·
Charge'n Thru The Night
14,239 Posts
I love biology ;l

Infectious diseases are the best.. not only is the mechanism of infection is so fascinating but how human's behavior allows them to become so deadly is also interesting.

·
Banned
5,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love biology ;l

Infectious diseases are the best.. not only is the mechanism of infection is so fascinating but how human's behavior allows them to become so deadly is also interesting.
Im enjoying Infectious diseases, but its a grim topic in some places. Working out deaths per population and Under 5 Mortality rates are things I never expected to be using maths for.

·
Charge'n Thru The Night
14,239 Posts
Im enjoying Infectious diseases, but its a grim topic in some places. Working out deaths per population and Under 5 Mortality rates are things I never expected to be using maths for.
I think they are both scary and fascinating. Especially the ingenious ways they can circumvent our immune system..and studying what makes something like Ebola, or measles, so much more deadly than a flu virus... Just awe inspiring.

Smallpox.. almost the perfect disease.. to wipe off humanity. o.o

1 - 20 of 20 Posts