Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new here ._. (Is this thread in the right spot? 0_o )

So, as with the title, do all ISFJs share these traits of mine?

1. For the guys, you consider yourself a Knight and looking (or have found) your 'princess'.
  2. Your goal in life is to protect, serve and love your partner and you would sacrifice your life to protect them if need be.
  3. You're constantly worried about someone's impression of you (which causes you to be shy since you don't want to make a bad impression)
  4. When you like someone you become super-sensitive to their words (if they say something nice it makes you extremely happy, but if they inadvertently say something that offends you, you become extremely upset)
  5. You read too much into words at times (like with texting, you go over their message over and over again trying to figure out their emotions, intentions towards you, etc)
  6. You're worried that you put something you said in the wrong way and correct yourself numerous times so that they dont get the wrong meaning.
  7. You make sure to put a lot of smilies when texting/chatting online to show that you're friendly. :D
  8. You try your best to be the closest to a friend you can. Even if they don't like you, you still want to be their BEST friend (you really want to be important to them).
  9. When someone doesnt like you back but wants to stay friends (damn friendzone... T_T), you get really upset and feel like you're bouncing around against the friend level and the relationship level. (You don't want to let them go, but at the same time you feel you have to move on).

Oh and 10. You're awwwwwfully picky about what you use as your Avatar/display picture in case of the impression it gives.

Think that's enough 0_o
Sooo, am I a textbook ISFJ?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I feel that some of these stem from being an ISFJ (5-7), others stem from being an Enneagram type 2 (2,8), and others are either a mixture of two or indirectly related.

Welcome to PerC! I am also glad to see another E2 ISFJ!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yeah I'd say quite a bit of those fit me. I'd say rather than a knight/princess its more of a Humphrey Bogart/Lauren Bacall kind of thing

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
lol... funny how only ISFJs with Enneagram type 2 answered this thread. :wink: My ISFJ husband is a 9w1 and this list doesn't fully apply to him 100%.

Reactions: bob_toeback

·
Registered
272 Posts
1)No, but I like the idea of being a guardian.

2)Kind of. It's definitely an important aspect of who I am.

3)Yes.

4)Yes, but I don't show it much.

5)Yes, a million times over.

6)Yes, so I edit myself quite a fair bit.

7)A little. Most of the time I don't really mind, but it can be useful when I need reassuring.

8)Nope. I'm pretty selective with who and how I spend my time with, but I try to be a good friend.

9)Haven't been in this situation. I imagine I'd bounce between wanting to be a friend, and being afraid that I'm accidently crossing boundaries because I see very little distinction in emotional intimacy between a best friend and a romantic partner.

10)Nah, I just choose what represents me the best even if it's an odd expression. But I'm not as concerned with what is acceptable or not in society, but more about staying true to my small group and myself.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

1. For the guys, you consider yourself a Knight and looking (or have found) your 'princess'.

Probably the reverse, don't know if in that manner of speaking, but I can't envision what my romantic partner would be like, don't know if I'll ever even have one. Whoever persued me would have to do just that - be the initiator/secure in themself, because initiating doesn't come naturally to me at all, socially or romantically, had to have three glasses of wine before I could casually approach and ask a teacher I liked (drunk-level of drink for me), about his plans for what he would do when he moved back to france at a leaving party, and even then it was really hard to get the words out, and I had to be pushed into action by another friend who found him attractive, who wanted to to walk over, and approach a couple of friends of mine who were standing next to him and talking to him, and talk to them for ten minutes before I felt sufficiently drunk enough to dare.
  2. Your goal in life is to protect, serve and love your partner and you would sacrifice your life to protect them if need be.

I think if I became romantically bonded with someone, the second part could be possible, otherwise I have a tendancy to run away from any harm. The first part probably isn't my goal. More like feel meaningful/find and feel meaning in life in all kinds of senses.
  3. You're constantly worried about someone's impression of you (which causes you to be shy since you don't want to make a bad impression)

Yup. I also find it a little hard to think around people for the most part because I'm anxious, so I find it hard to know what to do, say, or how I feel. I often think to myself that I'm often the submissive part of the pack - the kind of dog who shows it's neck to the dominant dog as a mark of submission - when I'm not in a comfort zone. Not that I'm always revealing vulnerabilities, more like instinctively portray that I'm not an agressor/not difficult - supposedly a sp 6 thing.
  4. When you like someone you become super-sensitive to their words (if they say something nice it makes you extremely happy, but if they inadvertently say something that offends you, you become extremely upset)

Don't think I've had enough experience around people I like to really say, I guess so maybe sometimes I'll ruminate later about things said. I'm pretty attentive to the way they're acting directly in the physical world, and generally their 'movements' -how much they'll see me, who they'll see, their responses to particular situations.
  5. You read too much into words at times (like with texting, you go over their message over and over again trying to figure out their emotions, intentions towards you, etc)

Yup.
  6. You're worried that you put something you said in the wrong way and correct yourself numerous times so that they dont get the wrong meaning.

I try to get the right meaning accross but can find it hard to find exactly the right words. I used to be more neurotic about this, still try very hard, when I am expressing myself, that I account for different meanings, but sometimes I throw caution to the wind - as it feels - and just go with one phrasing and let the other person deal with it.
  7. You make sure to put a lot of smilies when texting/chatting online to show that you're friendly. :D

I guess so, sometimes I get irritated about it, or feel that people should be able to take me without it. But definately expressive for the most part.
  8. You try your best to be the closest to a friend you can. Even if they don't like you, you still want to be their BEST friend (you really want to be important to them).

I guess so. I definately like being liked, hate any dislike, criticism, get worked up over it, feel blue and uncomfortable about it. But I also really value my independence. I adore a sense of connection, but I need my space. If I feel like someone's smothering me, I'll get uncomfortable and very irritable.
  9. When someone doesnt like you back but wants to stay friends (damn friendzone... T_T), you get really upset and feel like you're bouncing around against the friend level and the relationship level. (You don't want to let them go, but at the same time you feel you have to move on).

I'm kinda uncomfortable about dating. When I like someone, which is a rare thing, I tend to find it really hard to approach them, and would never say I liked them. I've not really been in that situation so I can't really say.

Oh and 10. You're awwwwwfully picky about what you use as your Avatar/display picture in case of the impression it gives.

I suppose I'm picky about it like my writing style, it has to feel right, and I do want it to represent me, and others to identify it not in a negative manner, but it's still at the core what felt right to me.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts

No...though that may also be because I'm gay. But I don't view myself as a knight in any sense.

Naito_ said:
Your goal in life is to protect, serve and love your partner and you would sacrifice your life to protect them if need be.
I don't know if this is my goal in life, but I definitely have felt this way about a person I've been in love with. Though I don't picture myself protecting that person...they don't seem to need my protection.

Naito_ said:
You're constantly worried about someone's impression of you (which causes you to be shy since you don't want to make a bad impression)
This is a natural tendency of mine, but I've gotten much better about controlling it and not caring as much what people think.

Naito_ said:
  1. When you like someone you become super-sensitive to their words (if they say something nice it makes you extremely happy, but if they inadvertently say something that offends you, you become extremely upset)

Yeah, that does happen to me a lot. I've gotten better about not letting the negatives bother me, though.

Naito_ said:
You read too much into words at times (like with texting, you go over their message over and over again trying to figure out their emotions, intentions towards you, etc)
Yep, again, that's a natural tendency. But again, I've learned about it and can control it a lot better now.

Naito_ said:
You're worried that you put something you said in the wrong way and correct yourself numerous times so that they dont get the wrong meaning.
I do that a lot on PerC, but usually it's not as big of a deal IRL.

Naito_ said:
You make sure to put a lot of smilies when texting/chatting online to show that you're friendly. :D
I do that, but it's mostly a habit I don't really think about. The only time I consciously do it is when I'm not sure if someone will understand that I'm joking.

Naito_ said:
You try your best to be the closest to a friend you can. Even if they don't like you, you still want to be their BEST friend (you really want to be important to them).
Hmm..not really. I only do this if I know the other person cares abut me. Now, if I really care about them, I do want to be important to them. But I also understand that it's ok for them to have other friends and that they have their own life to live.

Naito_ said:
When someone doesnt like you back but wants to stay friends (damn friendzone... T_T), you get really upset and feel like you're bouncing around against the friend level and the relationship level. (You don't want to let them go, but at the same time you feel you have to move on).
Hmm...can't quite relate to this one. Usually I can separate my emotions pretty well and can deal with just being friends.

Naito_ said:
I used to be, but I've gotten a lot more relaxed about it. I like my teddy bear, and if someone else doesn't take what I say seriously based on their opinion of my avatar, then their opinion of what I'm saying doesn't matter much to me anyway.

Naito_ said:
Think that's enough 0_o
I think your natural tendencies are. Don't forget that even these can be controlled, though...they don't have to control you if you're not ok with them.

Reactions: downsowf

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My best friend is an ISFJ, and this sounds a heck of a lot like him.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not all of them apply to me, but several of them do, yes. I think I tend to be a bit more on the cold, aloof side of the ISFJ in general; I'm not really interested in being BEST FRIENDS with people as I like to be more reserved and don't like getting too close to people. I keep a lot to myself and only tell people the shallower thoughts in my head. :p

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm new here too! :)

1. N/A.. I'm a gal
2. Completely (protection in my case being in non-physical ways obviously)
3. YES! People are always telling me that I shouldn't care so much about what others think, but I feel like I can't help it.
4. I actually tend to be super-sensitive to everyone's words, not just people I like.
5. 100% accurate IMHO
6. This makes me laugh because of how true it is... and because I'm glad it's not just me!
7. Uh-uh! :D
8. I feel repetitive here, but again, YES.
9. I've fortunately not been in that situation, so I can't say..
10. Sometimes..and that reminds me I need an avatar here, haha.

·
Registered
656 Posts

Think that's enough 0_o
1. N/A - although I'll just say I don't want a knight in shining armor. I just want someone to love me during the bad times. I can save myself.
2. Absolutely
3. I'm not really that shy, but that's because I'm not as introverted as most ISFJ's. I do worry what people think of me, but it doesn't really affect my behavior.
4. Absolutely
5. Absolutely
6. Or I just elaborate on what I say to make sure I'm clear to the point of writing novels about things that should be simple.
7. I used to, but it started to annoy me, so I try not to now. I worry that people may find me too serious, 'cause I smile a ton in real-life conversation.
8. I used to be like that, but I decided to stop trying so hard to be friends with people who don't want to be friends with me. It's emotionally straining. I'm content with my two closest friends now. This attitude of "they'll be my friend if they want to" has helped my happiness because I rarely feel rejected that way.
9. Absolutely
10. Nah, I just used a picture of myself, but I do get the feeling that people may find me young and naive. I look younger than I am, anyway.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts

1. For the guys, you consider yourself a Knight and looking (or have found) your 'princess'. NA
  2. Your goal in life is to protect, serve and love your partner and you would sacrifice your life to protect them if need be. Yes to the second one, but I don't think finding the right partner is my most important goal for me right now. I will work hard to protect, serve, and love my partner but I guess I would consider that more of a duty than my one goal in life.
  3. You're constantly worried about someone's impression of you (which causes you to be shy since you don't want to make a bad impression) Yeah, sometimes. Sometimes I don't care, but I do care that they don't see me as being mean or selfish or something bad like that.
  4. When you like someone you become super-sensitive to their words (if they say something nice it makes you extremely happy, but if they inadvertently say something that offends you, you become extremely upset)Yep, I sometimes find it hard to take criticism. If someone says something good about me, I might just brush it aside (if I don't think they mean it or I don't agree with the praise).
  5. You read too much into words at times (like with texting, you go over their message over and over again trying to figure out their emotions, intentions towards you, etc) Not usually, but if the person is important enough to me, I might obsess.
  6. You're worried that you put something you said in the wrong way and correct yourself numerous times so that they dont get the wrong meaning. I do this a lot. Mainly to make sure I don't offend.
  7. You make sure to put a lot of smilies when texting/chatting online to show that you're friendly. :D Yes.
  8. You try your best to be the closest to a friend you can. Even if they don't like you, you still want to be their BEST friend (you really want to be important to them). No.
  9. When someone doesnt like you back but wants to stay friends (damn friendzone... T_T), you get really upset and feel like you're bouncing around against the friend level and the relationship level. (You don't want to let them go, but at the same time you feel you have to move on).Nah, I rally only make romantic relationships with people I have known for a long while anyways.

Oh and 10. You're awwwwwfully picky about what you use as your Avatar/display picture in case of the impression it gives. Not really. I like my picture because it is pretty.

Think that's enough 0_o
^ten characters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts