Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking multivitamins and I want to know if they have any mental effects. :/

Kinda nervous of em. I dont wanna be changed, it happened once, never again.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well, multi-vitamins CAN affect your mind, most likely over a period of time rather than immediately. But usually it would be for the better, not for the worse, though it depends on the needs of your own body and mind.

B vitamins - The B vitamins help support the nervous system as well as aiding in the production of brain chemicals such as serotonin. Serotonin is one of the chemicals responsible for feeling calm and happy. When we are low in serotonin because our brain is not producing enough we can become depressed and experience other symptoms. Here are some symptoms listed on a website:
•Depressed
•Nervous/anxious
•Worrier
•Fears/phobias
•Negative/pessimistic
•Irritable/impatient/edgy
•Obsessive compulsive tendency
•Think about the same things over & over again
•Low self esteem/confidence
•Anger/rage/explosive behavior/assaultive
•Sleep problems/light sleeper
•Crave sugar/carbohydrates/alcohol/marijuana
◦Use these substances to improve mood & relax
•Feel worse in and dislike dark weather
•Family history of depression/anxiety/OCD/eating disorders

Here are factors that can reduce serotonin levels:

•Stress
•PCB’s, pesticides and plastic chemicals exposure
•Under-methylation
•Inadequate sunlight exposure
•Tryptophan (precursor) deficiency
•Iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, B3, B6, folate & vitamin C deficiency
•Inadequate sleep
•Glutathione deficiency
•Chronic infections
•Food allergies
•Genetic serotonin receptor abnormalities
•Chronic opioid, alcohol, amphetamine & marijuana use
•Human growth hormone deficiency
•Progesterone deficiency
•Impaired blood flow to brain
•Insulin resistance or deficiency

You'll notice that iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, B vitamins, and vitamin C all appear on there. Sometimes by taking a multivitamin these vitamins and minerals will aid in raising the serotonin levels and the levels of other neurotransmitters that will regulate the mood, but in some cases no difference occurs. In rarer cases, negative effects occur.

Check your multivitamin to see if it added herbs to the mix. Some do, and these can affect the mind, depending on what they are. Certain mood multivitamin concoctions include St. John's Wort (which raises serotonin, but can cause some side effects), 5-htp, or other compounds.

If I may ask you two questions, what are you taking the multivitamins for? And, in what way are you worried about them changing you...what happened previously that you said changed you?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't notice anything to be honest, and I took them for years. I had to switch to liquid vitamins because my stomach lost its tolerance for the pills since I get nauseated for about 10 minutes after consuming them. I don't know why that happened. It absorbs better as well, but I don't feel any healthier I admit.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't notice anything to be honest.
Same here. I feel like I looked for an effect too. Never felt anything. Personal bias (at the least) suggests you'll notice more effects on your mood by your choices regarding the remainder of your diet than by your multivitamin and by a considerable margin unless you're taking it specifically for something you're having a hard time getting enough of.

·
Registered
601 Posts
All they can do is make you more lucid, since you are nurishing your brain. Unless unhealthyness is part of your identity, you will be fine. I even recomend Ginko Biloba and Ginseng because they are natural cognitive boosters.
I take many vitamins and experience no personality changes. Remember who you are and what you want to be. Nothing can change you again without your permission.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Theres a supplement MSM that I've read has given many people very vivid dreams. I used to take it frequently as it's good for your hair, skin, and nails, and didn't notice a difference, but my dream life is intense already.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If I'm already eating healthy and being active.. multivitamins seem to give me a bit more energy and alertness throughout the day... but if i'm sorta iffy on how i'm taking care of myself elsewise, the effect is kinda hard to notice. I certainly wouldn't be worried about it, they're not going to change you, but they may make it easier to get a little more activity out of the day.

·
Registered
375 Posts
All they can do is make you more lucid, since you are nurishing your brain. Unless unhealthyness is part of your identity, you will be fine. I even recomend Ginko Biloba and Ginseng because they are natural cognitive boosters.
I take many vitamins and experience no personality changes. Remember who you are and what you want to be. Nothing can change you again without your permission.
Since you mentioned Ginkgo Biloba, I thought I'd respond. Ginkgo Biloba can definitely have cognitive effects. I only have my subjective experience to go by, though, and because I have an extremely strong sensitivity response to all psychoactive compounds, my experience probably differs.

Ginkgo Biloba can potentially raise serotonin levels in the brain because its action increases serotonin receptor sites in the brain. Because of this it should not be combined with SSRI anti-depressants, which could theoretically induce serotonin syndrome (very unpleasant), or be in immediate combination with other herbs or supplements that increase serotonin activity like 5-htp, St. John's Wort, Valerian, Ginseng, or Tryptophan, unless sufficient knowledge or expertise has been acquired to combine them appropriately. Improper combination can lead to restlessness, trouble sleeping, or an imbalance in serotonergic activity.

Ginkgo Biloba also dilates the blood vessels, increasing circulation to the brain. This can help with concentration, which theoretically can aid in controlling thought patterns, increasing positive neurological and chemical responses. This has been the case for me, but unfortunately my body can no longer tolerate any psychoactives, so I cannot use Ginkgo anymore (I have developed a hyper-sensitivity response to many compounds that my doctor is looking into. Could be celiac or something similar).

The reason I bring these things up is because certain multi-vitamins include herbs like Ginkgo Biloba, but I would discourage one from buying them. These companies usually use poorer quality herb sources. Its best to buy the herbs separately from a well-reputed company.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Since you mentioned Ginkgo Biloba, I thought I'd respond. Ginkgo Biloba can definitely have cognitive effects. I only have my subjective experience to go by, though, and because I have an extremely strong sensitivity response to all psychoactive compounds, my experience probably differs.

Ginkgo Biloba can potentially raise serotonin levels in the brain because its action increases serotonin receptor sites in the brain. Because of this it should not be combined with SSRI anti-depressants, which could theoretically induce serotonin syndrome (very unpleasant), or be in immediate combination with other herbs or supplements that increase serotonin activity like 5-htp, St. John's Wort, Valerian, Ginseng, or Tryptophan, unless sufficient knowledge or expertise has been acquired to combine them appropriately. Improper combination can lead to restlessness, trouble sleeping, or an imbalance in serotonergic activity.

Ginkgo Biloba also dilates the blood vessels, increasing circulation to the brain. This can help with concentration, which theoretically can aid in controlling thought patterns, increasing positive neurological and chemical responses. This has been the case for me, but unfortunately my body can no longer tolerate any psychoactives, so I cannot use Ginkgo anymore (I have developed a hyper-sensitivity response to many compounds that my doctor is looking into. Could be celiac or something similar).

The reason I bring these things up is because certain multi-vitamins include herbs like Ginkgo Biloba, but I would discourage one from buying them. These companies usually use poorer quality herb sources. Its best to buy the herbs separately from a well-reputed company.
Thank you, that was intructive! Ill look further into it this serotonin syndrome.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thank you, that was intructive! Ill look further into it this serotonin syndrome.
You're welcome. It's not common to have a serious degree of serotonin syndrome, which can be life-threatening, unless a person is mixing high doses of serotonergics. However, even though serotonin produces calming and relaxation, when too much is activated at once for the body's needs it starts to cause the opposite reaction, restlessness, anxiety, and other symptoms. If mild, the mood may still be good, but will be accompanied with unwanted sensations. So, as you seemed to imply, you mix ginkgo and ginseng, not an unusual mix, and not likely to be a threat, unless doses are high, or personal sensitivity is high. I loved ginseng - it gave me such great upliftment and energy, but I just could not tolerate the side effects because of my sensitivity.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You're welcome. It's not common to have a serious degree of serotonin syndrome, which can be life-threatening, unless a person is mixing high doses of serotonergics. However, even though serotonin produces calming and relaxation, when too much is activated at once for the body's needs it starts to cause the opposite reaction, restlessness, anxiety, and other symptoms. If mild, the mood may still be good, but will be accompanied with unwanted sensations. So, as you seemed to imply, you mix ginkgo and ginseng, not an unusual mix, and not likely to be a threat, unless doses are high, or personal sensitivity is high. I loved ginseng - it gave me such great upliftment and energy, but I just could not tolerate the side effects because of my sensitivity.
Thanks that makes me feel better. Yes I mix ginseng, ginkgo and St John's wort. I have been doing it for Six months now with only positive results. Would you recomend other supplements?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks that makes me feel better. Yes I mix ginseng, ginkgo and St John's wort. I have been doing it for Six months now with only positive results. Would you recomend other supplements?
St. John's Wort is well studied and is supposed to have results as strong as an SSRI but with fewer side effects, as you may know. But it is a good idea to monitor your sun exposure when you are taking it, because you can become more sensitive to sunlight. Ginkgo and Ginseng's primary effects are not serotonergic, so their serotonergic activity is relatively low, but can potentiate the serotonergic action of St. John's Wort, which is probably why you are getting good results.

Without knowing the specific things you are intending to treat with supplements, I wouldn't know what supplements to recommend. Depending on whether you are treating insomnia, depression, fatigue, anxiety, or all of the above, or whether those are coming from certain neurotransmitter deficiencies or other factors, different supplements would be considered for different factors. If you still have symptoms that are unameliorated by this supplement cocktail, perhaps there are other options. You can send me a PM if you'd like to look into it more, because this is a particular area of interest for me. But I always make sure to say I am not a doctor so I don't make direct recommendations, but I like to share all available options and relevant information :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'd be more concerned about the outrageously high amount of fluoride the government is jamming into our drinking water "for the greater good". It's supposed to strengthen the teeths and they keep adding it even though it's been suspected to actually weaken the teeths and the bone and cause damage to the pineal gland..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts