Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, this sounds kind of stupid. I'm not intending to say that all IXFPs have trouble with expressing themselves....... but.... I mostly notice this in my bf (still not sure of his type...he says INTP, but also tests as INFP and ISFP or ENTP).... I find he is quite intelligent and always wonder why he can't say things to the point....he is always so vague. I find this really difficult, since as I keep asking him to clarify I often find that he is not talking nonsense (which can be my impression sometimes), but as a clear idea in his head that just won't come out in precise words :)...aaach, it's strange. I don't mean to offend any XXXXs here..... but I'd like to know if (and what) experience you have with this (concerning yourself but also people close to you)....

·
Registered
685 Posts
It happens to me sometimes, but not all the time. If I have to give a quick answer to you, or if I'm unprepared, I'll probably sound very confusing, and I'll probably have to repeat myself several times, rephrasing, before you understand. But on other occasions, I'm quite eloquent. So it depends on a lot of things. If I'm tired, if I'm relaxed, if I feel confident, if it's a subject matter I'm confortable with, etc. It's maybe also because there's often so many things going through my head that I want to talk about all of them at once.

Es ist nicht nur dein Freund, der dieses Problem hat. =)

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I know, this sounds kind of stupid. I'm not intending to say that all IXFPs have trouble with expressing themselves....... but.... I mostly notice this in my bf (still not sure of his type...he says INTP, but also tests as INFP and ISFP or ENTP).... I find he is quite intelligent and always wonder why he can't say things to the point....he is always so vague. I find this really difficult, since as I keep asking him to clarify I often find that he is not talking nonsense (which can be my impression sometimes), but as a clear idea in his head that just won't come out in precise words :)...aaach, it's strange. I don't mean to offend any XXXXs here..... but I'd like to know if (and what) experience you have with this (concerning yourself but also people close to you)....
Just curious, but what sort of things is he arduously attempting to convey. You may be correct that he is some sort of “Behind the Scenes” type, who control their information until they have exactly the right words:
Behind-the-Scenes™
The theme is getting the best result possible. People of this style focus on understanding and working with the process to create a positive outcome. They see value in many contributions and consult outside inputs to make an informed decision. They aim to integrate various information sources and accommodate differing points of view. They approach others with a quiet, calm style that may not show their strong convictions. Producing, sustaining, defining, and clarifying are all ways they support a group's process. They typically have more patience than most with the time it takes to gain support through consensus for a project or to refine the result.
If the theme fits him then you are also correct that he may be one of the types you allude to since they all (except ENTP) use this interaction style. I think that you can rule out ENTP since you would probably be asking how to shut him up. The IFP types use Fi as their dominant function. They struggle to put words to their values:
Introverted Feeling - Evaluating importance and maintaining congruence. It is often hard to put words to the values used to make introverted Feeling judgments since they are often associated with images and feeling-tones more than words. As a cognitive process, it often serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued and wanted. We engage in the process of introverted Feeling when a value is compromised and we think, "sometimes, some things just have to be said." On the other hand, most of the time this process works "in private" and is seldom expressed directly. Actions often speak louder than words. This process helps us know when people are being fake or insincere or if they are basically good. It is like having an internal sense of the "essence" of a person or a project, and reading another person or action or project with fine distinctions among feeling-tones. When the other person's values and beliefs are congruent with our own, we are inclined to feel kinship with them and want to connect with them.
INTPs as you know, use Ti to dominate, they generally try to find the right words as well, to describe whatever with consistent thought:
Introverted Thinking - Analyzing, categorizing, and figuring out how something works. Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles. These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea. This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work. The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency. In so doing, there is a search for a "leverage point" that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I've had moments when I have said something and I'm not sure if the other person has grasped my meaning, and usually I have what I want to say in my head before speaking, sometimes I don't speak I just DO or give a facial expression and people get it.

I don't feel this has anything to do with type, it just seems that in this individual case he is either having trouble expressing his thoughts or is being silly, though this is hard to tell with the information given. You have just said 'he seems vague', give me an example of a question you will ask him and the response he would give.

You: .....
Him: .....

Put it like that and then I'll give you what I feel, is the case here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts