Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
♂️ Xennial - Melancholic/Choleric
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is what Aristotle thought, and my experience confirms that. Even if the child grows up to be a criminal, the parents often still love em.

I used to talk back to my father a lot, even in my late 20s, basically as long as he was alive. And he typically asked for forgiveness for not being who I wanted him to be. I never said sorry, but I think he died loving me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
yes, because there are different physiological systems involved in each side of the relation. Here is a pretty good article explaining how it works:

Simplyfing a lot, Parents keep attachment circuits in oxitocin and vasopresin modulated ventral pallidum and raphe, and it's active for most of their live, or a lest when kids are present in their live, pumping serotonine to cortical structures

Child never had so much oxitocine and vasopresin activation until they become parents, and motivational drives come more from amygdala, and a lot from dopaminegic stimulation from the accumens, VTA and hippocampus.

evolutivelly it's logical that has been evolve that way, because otherwise parents will protect their own parents more than their own kids, and that's detrimental for the genetic expansion of these characteristics.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Rescue teams double their efforts when a child is injured, and a medium-sized plane crash leads to a stronger emotional reaction than the virus death of hundreds of thousands of old people. Child lovers. By tradition, parents invest in animals for their livelihood, children included. They provide domestic drama, cheap labour, old-age security, love, status and a justification for their continued existence and the accumulation of wealth which they can’t spend in life. In a welfare state, parents no longer need children; they are expensive and reduce the standard of living. This explains the single child in a household with several cars. Children invest above all in cheap presents, white lies and hypocrisy. They didn’t choose their parents and try to escape the paternal dictatorship as soon as possible; caring for bedridden old people is their absolute nightmare. As far as love is concerned, children are often a bad investment, because the quality and quantity of their affection can hardly be compared to that of dogs.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Depends on how appropriate you think it is to actually classify the parent-child emotional connection as"love" (given other types of love generally involve more choice in who is loved).

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is what Aristotle thought, and my experience confirms that. Even if the child grows up to be a criminal, the parents often still love em.

I used to talk back to my father a lot, even in my late 20s, basically as long as he was alive. And he typically asked for forgiveness for not being who I wanted him to be. I never said sorry, but I think he died loving me.
Ha! That's a funny joke you made. My parents never once in my life auctually loved me. I was a stupidity loyal child though and believed otherwise until it was too late. I should have realized it earlier and saved all my allowance to escape as an adult to a safer home but I didn't. I was dumb and believed Yu-Gi-Oh cards and candy was worth my money but it wasn't. I was a foolish child and I paid for it. A lot of parents don't love thier kids and only a fool would say most do.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Absolutely, and I say this as a kid, and I'm not talking about my case but generally. Of course, there are exceptions of parents being scumbags with no care for their kids, except maybe for work and money, or not scumbags but parents who love yet neglect their kids because they are unaware, or parents who are too harsh and judgmental with their kids and as a ressult the kids won't trust them. These are the exceptions, but as a rule of thumb, the title is right, the parents love their kids more like the kids love their parents.

Reactions: Blazkovitz

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I'd say no. I believe parental love is a form of narcisissm, though usually benign. A parent looks at their baby for the first time and immediately falls in love with the expression of their own and their partners' dna. If people loved children simply for being children then there would be a lot more willingness to adopt, because they would have empathy for the cry of parentless children just like a parent rushes to their biological children's aid at the sound of their cry. Parents love their biological children as an extension of themselves, and have them purely for personal fulfillment.

Meanwhile, a child is new to the world, and will inevitably place all their faith in their parents without even realizing it. Their love is the purest most trusting kind there is.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
643 Posts
I think the answer to this differs a ton between individuals and cultures. The cultural valuing of the age groups or familial roles can be wildly different. I'd even go so far as to say that cultural values might be the MOST important factor when thinking about this.

For example a lot of asian cultures, the elders are revered over children or adults. It's about honoring their sacrifices and life and contributions to others. Contrary to that, I think a lot of western cultures are very ageist and I find the rampant dumping of people in say, nursing homes, really appalling. (also, with the US' stance on apparently sacrificing the elderly for the convenience of the young during this pandemic). I also was raised to believe that I can never give back enough for repayment of having been given life and raised. I'd take a bullet for my mom and die before her in a heartbeat. But I would be hard pressed if someone told me to run the trolley over a child instead of an old person. I say this as a 2nd gen Asian American. I think you'd be really surprised if you asked this question in an Asian forum!

Though I am talking about value here instead of love. I'm not sure you can measure love but it's pretty easy to see value.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts