Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a really honest and direct Entp. If i see something wrong or stupid, i would point it out and i dont care if the sensitive people get hurt because the deserve the truth. - Entp dude.
what about you guys?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The thing is, what you say is something that they really need to hear.

If they don't want to hear it, or if it's your judgment without facts, and it's not like their life dependent on it don't force it on them.

Also, if you make sure that they understand you MEAN WELL for their benefit, I don't think they would take offense. So, you have to put in an extra effort to say it much nicer.

But, if you are just knowing someone without really knowing them that well, and you are saying stuff to them who doesn't care or respect your advises or what you think, then surely they would think "Who the hell do you think you are Asshole?"

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Before you say anything, just say "I don't mean to be rude, I am saying this because I want you to be better..." or "I think you can do better"

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I call myself an asshole. Does that count?

Before you say anything, just say "I don't mean to be rude, I am saying this because I want you to be better..." or "I think you can do better"
Thats like saying, "I'm not a racist but..."

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I used to be called a bitch a lot (asshole doesn't really go with my behaviour/appearance/way of speaking idk) but nowadays doesn't happen too often

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I do the same thing. Luckily, most people don't get angry or offended, or if they do, they don't hold the grudge. They know I mean no offense.
I hate it when people can't deal with the truth, whether it is being said nicely or not. And I don't mean it in a "being sensitive" way. I mean people who actually think they're always right and never admit/accept they're wrong. I just can't deal with them.

you can say the truth without being rude :tongue:

see it as a challenge :D
That's exactly my problem, I don't know how to tell the truth in a way that doesn't hurt people. I don't even know how some people menage that. Kudos to them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've been called asshole on more occasions than I'm proud of. To be honest, some of it I had it coming, but other times, I'm not sure why I was called that (excluding jokes, of course. Those I know).

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I call myself an asshole. Does that count?

Thats like saying, "I'm not a racist but..."

Not really, people need to understand that there could well be direct and honest things said that is to help them instead of insulting them. It all comes down to the tone, level of respect and what is said as a whole rather than the few words that you only pay attention to.

I have had a guy telling me a lot of things that I felt he was insulting me, and like he was an asshole at first, but over time, I realized how NICE he actually was. He would always invite me out, and give me gifts so you can't focus only on certain words, you have to understand the ENTIRE message they tell you. He was trying to help, and that's it. Not insulting me as I previously felt. There are many guys like this who you think are just all knowing and arrogant there is not much to like them for, but once you get to see they invite you to all the cool stuff and give you gifts, that says more about them than what they say with their mouth.

Sometimes people say "I am not trying to be rude" IS EXACTLY what they mean.

But if people are still offended even you tell them honestly "I don't mean to offend you", whatever sometime you just don't need to say anything AT ALL. Let them be. If they are wrong, who cares they gonna someday end up in trouble, because you tried to say something wise to them, and they think you are just insulting them.

But you aren't trying to insult, it's just that they think you are... so it's on them they feel wrong about it. You just give up on them, really. Say no more...

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I call myself an asshole all the time. I don't know if anyone else ever has. I just figure when I rub people the wrong way that's what they're thinking...and sometimes that is my own opinion of myself when I reflect on things I've done that were less considerate than what I could have done.

I tend to like people who are insensitive and confident, so I've told friends things along the lines of "I like you cause you're an asshole like me" tho I dont really do that anymore because even though it's meant in jest and to show affection, I think others dont like being labeled as an asshole even if its done as a joke compliment

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
From the bottom of my heart, I have a good soul and honestly HATES to hurt any good people verbally or physically, so I don't feel it would be truth to call myself an asshole, at all. I am really against being an asshole.

Not saying that just to make myself look better, but I am definitely self-aware with what kind of person I truly am, so IF any misjudgments like people think I am asshole is just such, misjudgments!

I NEVER intentionally insult anyone, joke or not!

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
I delude myself into thinking my asshole nature is beneficial to all social situations. Really, I think my friends appreciate my company because I say the type of things that nobody else can get away with. I'm generally not mean in an unnecessary way. If I'm going to be a dick, it'll be for a reason. Such as somebody basing their stupid Te opinion on a logical fallacy, someone complaining about things that are their fault, or people living in their own "special snowflake" reality. Narcissists are my favorite to be dicks to because I go for the emotional jugular to watch them bleed out. The trade off with being a(n) (un)necessary asshole is people need societal norms stripped away and emotions temporarily drained in order to have true insight into themselves. I'm not bizarrely proud that I'm an asshole, but I don't want to wear a mask (all the time, sometimes we all have to) and many people alter their perception of reality because they place such an emphasis on societal factors such as sensitivity, emotional cognizance, gender roles, and "Doing things the right way"; an SJism. It's good, however, to have tertiary Fe in order to be aware of when NOT to be an asshole. If I completely lacked Fe, I'd make jokes about the dead guy at his funeral. Yeah, I might be an asshole, but I'm not a dick.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
I delude myself into thinking my asshole nature is beneficial to all social situations. Really, I think my friends appreciate my company because I say the type of things that nobody else can get away with. I'm generally not mean in an unnecessary way. If I'm going to be a dick, it'll be for a reason. Such as somebody basing their stupid Te opinion on a logical fallacy, someone complaining about things that are their fault, or people living in their own "special snowflake" reality. Narcissists are my favorite to be dicks to because I go for the emotional jugular to watch them bleed out. The trade off with being a(n) (un)necessary asshole is people need societal norms stripped away and emotions temporarily drained in order to have true insight into themselves. I'm not bizarrely proud that I'm an asshole, but I don't want to wear a mask (all the time, sometimes we all have to) and many people alter their perception of reality because they place such an emphasis on societal factors such as sensitivity, emotional cognizance, gender roles, and "Doing things the right way"; an SJism. It's good, however, to have tertiary Fe in order to be aware of when NOT to be an asshole. If I completely lacked Fe, I'd make jokes about the dead guy at his funeral. Yeah, I might be an asshole, but I'm not a dick.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
20,993 Posts
I am a really honest and direct Entp. If i see something wrong or stupid, i would point it out and i dont care if the sensitive people get hurt because the deserve the truth. - Entp dude.
what about you guys?
I think younger ENTPs can be overly obnoxious and argumentative. This can give them a reputation for being assholes. It takes a while for some of us to fully understand the nature of our abilities.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I've never been called an asshole. I've been called judgmental and critical, which is maybe a veiled way of saying "asshole" or something to some people. But most of the people I've talked to about my bluntness have said that they like it and admire that I'm straightforward and sincere; some of them find it comforting that they can come to me with a question and know that I will mean whatever I say. Then again, most of those people are/were my friends or at least seemed to be okay with hanging around me, so not a great sample I suppose. I've only been called out one time, and that was in response to something I really didn't think about before saying and regretted immensely. He called me "immature," though, not "asshole."

If i see something wrong or stupid, i would point it out and i dont care if the sensitive people get hurt because the deserve the truth.
Right, because everything you think is undeniably "the truth." It's fine to be confident in your opinions, but if you push them onto anyone and everyone unprompted (and without being conscious of wording and such), you're just going to piss people off. No one is benefitted by that (unless you enjoy pissing people off, I suppose). You're wasting your energy and whatever good will you might have.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
My closest friend does, but she's the only one.
Idk, I think honesty is important, but you also have to know when people really don't want your opinion.
If a friend of mine died their hair I would say I liked it no matter what the outcome was, because they really aren't looking for my honest opinion.
I work at birthday parties, and very rarely we'll get orders for gluten-free cake. I don't rant to them about how it isn't any healthier, because that's not my place.
I'm sort of friends with this girl who's engaged. She's 18. He's still in high school (will be graduating this month). I think it would be a big mistake for many reasons, not just that they're young. But I'm not THAT close with her, and what I say will have literally no impact on what she does, so I'm going to keep my mouth shut.

But if someone is insulting "kids these days," or wanting to adopt a hedgehog, or trying to defend guns, or talking about anything I'm really passionate about I will certainly voice my opinion. I will make my arguments direct and unapologetic. In those situations I really do not care what the other person thinks of me.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Well, I get that not all the ENTPs are the same. Some of you truly have a thrill in doing things that would be classified as insensitive asshole behavior and what you just posted here definitely has proves that stereotype definitely has truth. You feel that you should be doing it because in your opinion they DESERVE it.

But this stereotype is just that, it doesn't apply to all of us ENTPs. Perhaps we have developed our sensitive feelings better as we age older. Or perhaps straight from youth, my mother, my teachers and people I chose to be friends with taught me well on respecting other people, to not attack them whether or not they deserve it. I grew up in the "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it" mentality. I never understood what the thrill is with being an asshole and insult others.

There IS thrill in arguing and debating, sure, but thrill in attacking others and make others feel insignificant is not what it is about, for me.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Well, I get that not all the ENTPs are the same. Some of you truly have a thrill in doing things that would be classified as insensitive asshole behavior and what you just posted here definitely has proves that stereotype definitely has truth. You feel that you should be doing it because in your opinion they DESERVE it.

But this stereotype is just that, it doesn't apply to all of us ENTPs. Perhaps we have developed our sensitive feelings better as we age older. Or perhaps straight from youth, my mother, my teachers and people I chose to be friends with taught me well on respecting other people, to not attack them whether or not they deserve it. I grew up in the "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it" mentality. I never understood what the thrill is with being an asshole and insult others.

There IS thrill in arguing and debating, sure, but thrill in attacking others and make others feel insignificant is not what it is about, for me.
I think that was a good ENTP response and I think more this way: "Hey you do your thing that is unique for you and I'll do mine." I've also mentioned on here that I am a high functioning sociopath, in that my emotional trough is very shallow and I don't have affective empathy (I do possess cognitive empathy). My friends know this and like me just the same. I can get away with saying fucked up things because they don't expect me to act a certain, "normal" way.

Tearing a person down who wears a mask is my biggest guilty pleasure. Jk, I don't feel guilty. That being said, I am cognizant enough to not just go around tearing people down. Firstly, it serves no purpose. Secondly, doing so would be highly narcissistic & sadistic. I am not special and hurting others is not practical. That being said, temporarily tearing down societal boundaries brings out a realness in people.

There is no problem in priding yourself on how well you treat people. We do make our own decisions, after all. My only counter would be if you are judging me, then I'll just casually reject it. If you were to conclude I am evil because I perceive life a little differently, then I would interject that you're out of your element. However, I would say that less people should strive to be like me. I would say your philosophy is the better one for people to have. I cannot change my stripes, however, but I at least try to be moderately responsible.

Reactions: desire machine
1 - 20 of 42 Posts