Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I experience fairly often. I don't know what makes people think I have the answers, but apparently they do. I'm also frequently confided in about personal issues... it could be because I don't talk about myself in conversation as much as some other types do- people feel like they're at the center of attention when they talk to me. I also don't gossip. that might have something to do with it.

you'd think we'd be totally inept at dealing with emotional problems of others, but I've found that a lot of times people don't want to talk TO someone, they just want to talk AT them.

rambling a bit, but.. does anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
344 Posts
All. The. Time.

It seems like people like to think that our detached, "objective" view of things will help them out; more often that not though, they come to us to, yes, talk at us, and to confirm their own view of things anyway.

I have talked a couple of people out of suicide though. Logical case for completing your existence FTW.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes happens to me with people that know me pretty well.

Maybe due to the following: good listener, laid back, friendly, loyal
...I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I don't know about advice, but if any of my friends want to have long, philosophical discussions in the small hours of the morning, I'M THERE. That's the best part of sleepovers!
:proud:
I try to be a good listener and help with people's problems. I'd really like to think that people wouldn't mind coming to me for advice (or at least for a shoulder to cry on).

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
It's been a long time since I have experienced this. I make my opinions know with or without people asking usually. I seem to get more of something along the lines of 'you wouldn't understand this personal issue cuz your a robot with no soul.'

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I have talked a couple of people out of suicide though.
Same here. I figure it must be cos I don't try and convince them suicide is stupid. I simply engage them in a conversation on the pros and cons of their chosen method and how it could be improved. Then, I point out the flaws in the *better* method, and so on. It works, strangely enough.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Oh yes.

But not on emotional issues, usually technical/philosophical.

I sometimes have to blag it.

But I'm usually right.:happy:

·
Registered
438 Posts
It would seem the only time people come to me is when they have problems. I'll never hear/see most, then bam out of the blue 3weeks, 6monts, 9 months, 2 years later, whatever, Im confronted with this person/s messed up ordeals.
It would be nice if someone actually came to see me. Its never a problem, just the way it is.
I dont give advice Im very careful not to, but then maybe I do and I don't know it. . . . maybe?.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've only got it once, surprisingly, but I tend to ask people for everything, so...

·
Registered
153 Posts
YES
this used to happen more before
i think it just starts with people beginning to rant about their problems and me being curious and a good listener i ask about it. i also offer objective insight into the situation.
people like my advice because i'm not judgmental at all and am totally accepting, but still offer the truth.

sometimes people get angry at me because logically they cant deny i'm right but they want to feel something else
but usually i make them feel better by making the case for happiness sound so much better

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
This is something I experience fairly often. I don't know what makes people think I have the answers, but apparently they do. I'm also frequently confided in about personal issues... it could be because I don't talk about myself in conversation as much as some other types do- people feel like they're at the center of attention when they talk to me. I also don't gossip. that might have something to do with it.

you'd think we'd be totally inept at dealing with emotional problems of others, but I've found that a lot of times people don't want to talk TO someone, they just want to talk AT them.

rambling a bit, but.. does anyone else experience this?
My closest friends flock to me for advice, while many acquaintances do not. I think my friends ask me for personal advice because:

1.) I do not gossip.

2.) I approach the issue from different perspectives and suggest many ideas and possibilities about what started the alleged problem or may solve the problem.

3.) I do not jabber or lecture, but listen and analyze.

Albeit, I have noticed that I could anger the person asking me for advice if I am too blunt and not tactful enough, so I usually try to mix truth with tact. On the other hand, I will not lie nor emotionally sugarcoat the problem, but instead, attempt to help logically.

Reactions: wafflecake

·
Registered
137 Posts
Someone came to me with advice about a relationship recently. He just wanted to know if he should forgive a girl who had hurt him and had said she was sorry.

I said to assume good intentions and forgive, and things seem to be working out now. *shrugs*

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes.

Every. Single. Day.

Well, when there is someone nearby. It goes from mundane things about their hair to asking me to do their assignments. Wow.. it annoys me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts