Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have part of wikipedia's definition of existentialism memorized verbatim, but I forget every conversation I have and over half of what happens in every movie that I watch.

I assume this is because we are more interested in the big picture than details, as has been covered many times. But I read somewhere that INTP's have good memories, and I laughed so hard because my memory is a wood chipper and almost nothing survives. I assume that most of you, like me, have memories that retain the things that matter and drop the things that don't- in our search for truth, we start piecing together a puzzle, and if a piece of information doesn't seem to have anything to do with the puzzle, we say "wtf and I supposed to do with this?" and throw it over our shoulders, whereas significant pieces of the puzzle are snapped into place and never forgotten. Is this accurate?

Anyway, I am just curious about what the general INTP's memory is like. Any other thoughts are welcome, too. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have part of wikipedia's definition of existentialism memorized verbatim, but I forget every conversation I have and over half of what happens in every movie that I watch.

I assume this is because we are more interested in the big picture than details, as has been covered many times. But I read somewhere that INTP's have good memories, and I laughed so hard because my memory is a wood chipper and almost nothing survives. I assume that most of you, like me, have memories that retain the things that matter and drop the things that don't- in our search for truth, we start piecing together a puzzle, and if a piece of information doesn't seem to have anything to do with the puzzle, we say "wtf and I supposed to do with this?" and throw it over our shoulders, whereas significant pieces of the puzzle are snapped into place and never forgotten. Is this accurate?

Anyway, I am just curious about what the general INTP's memory is like. Any other thoughts are welcome, too. :)
Most people these days seem to think I have an amazing memory, but they don't spend time with me outside of work. One person I actually talked with extensively noticed, though, that I could forget a conversation we had just five minutes prior.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
my short term memory is shot... it's like... 'oh.. i'm thirsty... i should get a drink'... go to kitchen, make a sandwich, go back to room... 'where's my drink'..... )#($%)@#(%)#)_^)^_(@#)%*

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head with discarding "useless" information. As far as I am concerned I have had some of the most amazing conversations with people but a lot of the details become hazy to me. I've reflected on this many times and as best as I can deduce: as an INTP we use our systematic categories to file away information we receive, and if it correlates with any already perceived "truth" we do not archive the information itself more than the extra tick of evidence as a whole. That's my best analysis so far anyway. Though I am eager to hear others perceptions on this.

Edit: Also, I agree with the forgetting things that happened 5 minutes ago.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I automatically delete whatever's boring or doesn't seem good for future use.

For some reason, this is usually everything that can aid me socially. So yeah, people are like OH HELA YOU HAVE THE ATTENTION SPAN OF A GNAT!

but it's just that their cat's birthday is irrelevant...

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I automatically delete whatever's boring or doesn't seem good for future use.

For some reason, this is usually everything that can aid me socially. So yeah, people are like OH HELA YOU HAVE THE ATTENTION SPAN OF A GNAT!

but it's just that their cat's birthday is irrelevant...
For some reason I remember peoples cat birthdays better than I remember people's birthdays.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have an amazing memory for facts that fit into a big idea. I can hear a fact and say, "oh, that's interesting, it relates to such and such." And then like five years later I'll be talking about that topic and I'll recall that fact.

But trying to remember, say a grocery list when I'm heading to the store, or books that people have recommended as I walk into a bookstore or a phone number that's been rattled off verbally, I'm completely hopeless. I once had someone state their phone number and I tried to repeat it back verbally without writing it down and I literally could not do it. Even after five or six tries.

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
I, too, remember completely pointless crap, but have trouble remembering important stuff... like my own phone number. I can't remember if I already told a person something, but I can remember almost every line from the Princess Bride.

Absent minded, I am indeed.

Tell me your birthday and I'll forget it in mere minutes. Ask me to tell you the plot of a TV show I saw 12 years ago and I can describe it from start to finish.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think the problem is not that you can't memorize things, it is just that we don't pay attention, so how can you memorize something that you are not even paying attention to?

There may actually be 2 kinds of memory, one memory will memorize details even if they are not connected with each other, and the other will memorize when you connect the dots, and understand the undrlying relationship between two things.

I would say that when INTPs reach the Aha! moment when they understand something, that will become something impossible to forget.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've realised recently that my short term memory is incredibly weak when I could not remember a 5 digit code 10 seconds after I've read it and focussed on remembering it. I forget peoples' names if I don't see them at least once a fortnight. I tend to formulate an opinion of them when I meet them and use that as an identifier. i.e. There's the girl who said 'totally' alot the last time we spoke. Or There's that guy who shook my hand for an uncomfortably long time again. However, my long term memory is rather good.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes, I'm certain of it, but it's because it sort of lays dormant.

Visualize the stupid & pointless. You'd be surprised what you can remember once you get the imagery part of your brain pumping. Sensing individuals have a far better detail-oriented memory for a reason, they use it often.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I remember experiences and certain moments for a lifetime but can't remember new information more than a minute unless I put it to use on a regular basis.

Memory of this post will self destruct in 5 seconds.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Actually, this is not at all the case for me - at least concerning events in my life, as well as useless bits of trivia. People often tell me I have an "amazing" memory.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have a good memory, I can recall a lot of things I see. However when it comes to things deem insignificant or just uninteresting I don't even bother.

·
Banned
195 Posts
What you described sounds more like selective memory rather than bad memory. You remember vividly (tertiary Si) all the things that align with your intellectual interests (Ti-Ne). In my previous school, I couldn't remember half of the other school dorms' names, but I could vividly recall the year of which where every Coen Brother movie was released to anyone who asked me.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts