Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whether this may be because you are quiet out of being in your own world of ideas or you have a natural disdain and irritation in regards to the real world, what's your experience in dealing with people in this respect? Have you ever experienced people seeing you in this way?

I feel like this might hold more truth for 5w4 INTP, but maybe not.

I'm an INFP, but people tend to take my attitude personally when I didn't know there was any attitude to begin with and I just tend to be with my own thoughts a lot and don't really have much to say. Wondering if the T counterpart deals with this too?

Reactions: Froody Blue Gem

·
Registered
280 Posts
"What's wrong?" is literally the one phrase that haunts me every where I go because my expression is generally one of disinterest, which says nothing of what's going on inside my head. My fiance makes me promise (ick, not something I'm always fond of) on a daily basis that I'm okay because my tone or 'something' seems off to him, when in reality, I just fail to pay it mind, because again, I'm not concerned the least bit with anything that doesn't regard what I'm contemplating in my mind.

I'm an INTP that was mistyped as an INFP (and to this day, people still buck up with arguments for ISFJ and INFJ too), and despite leaning towards the four wing, while I'm ultimately torn between which wing holds more truth to my personality, I know I'm unarguably an enneagram 5 that can attest to this. Most people that manage to break the ice past small talk admit that their reason for never approaching me initially was because I seemed like I hated the world or wanted nothing to do with socialization (by 'most' I mean 'the one or two people' every few years).

It might just be me and you, or it might not, but I do think that this is something that occurs at least on a semi-moderate basis.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I do not know. People do not say: Damn! You look kinda depressed - whenever they meet me. So I guess not.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Someone has actually asked me why I look so sad all the time and my father frequently asks me why I look so angry whenever he sees me so yeah. Resting bitch face is a real condition fam.

·
Registered
987 Posts
"Inscrutable" might be the best term for my expression. My SO has commented for years that it ranges from difficult to impossible to read me, and he takes pride in his expertise at reading people (he's an ENFJ and a psychology major). Recently I had surgery, and before surgery the nurse commented on my heart rate and blood pressure being up, which she said was typical before surgery due to nerves. I was very nervous. My SO said that he wouldn't have been able to tell from my expression or behavior.

Other people have dubbed my expression and behavior as "stoic."

·
Not a Robot
2,150 Posts
I was recently in a car with three squealing teenagers and one other adult. Someone took a "selfie" of the group. Another friend saw the picture and commented that s2theizay "looks, uh...disengaged."

It's pretty much my default face.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Yes. It's incredibly annoying because I couldn't get proper health care; the clinicians were hellbent on believing that I was depressed. I've reached advanced stages of frustration and jadedness at worst. Maybe they should examine the mental health of people who are happy despite the terrible state the world is in.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I have a tendency to stare intently at something while thinking, and being totally oblivious of it. Whether it's a blank monitor, a ceiling tile, my boss, a customer, coworker's kid, a screw, it just happens. And it's not always directly in front of me. I'll have my head turned looking at something in a way that looks deliberate, but isn't. It's not uncommon for me to snap out of it because people are calling my name trying to figure out what I'm staring at.

So I don't think they see me as depressed or disinterested, but completely somewhere else.

Reactions: Saturniid

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Yes, I've been told that and often I am just surprised that so many people are that perceptive, because it's often the case. Not necessarily the depressed part, but the disinterested part. Of course too much disinterest can lead to depressed so I learned to take breaks from the disinterest. How do I deal with it? Well anybody I know fairly well, I'm honest unless its really going to hurt their feelings.

Then there are a few instances where I am listening and looking away picturing what they are saying in my head to get a clear idea what they are talking about, so I am actually interested in those instances, and if I look over and see that they think I'm not listening, I tell them that I was picturing it in my head and ask a follow up question or tell them the observation from it that caught my attention so strongly.

·
Registered
284 Posts
People I befriended often tell me that I look intimidating, disinterested and serious at first. To give off the "don't touch me, peasant" vibe. That is just my default mode; Not letting anyone violate my personal space.

With time, I've realised I should be the one initiating because, to me, it's proven ineffective to just wait for things to happen.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I usually get called "spaced out," "air-headed," or "ditzy" more often than "depressed" or "disinterested." Though there have been times when I actually was feeling depressed and someone would say, "Are you sad?" and I'd quickly put on a fake smile and say, "Nah, just tired. Prob'ly just need some coffee." I think deep down they saw through it, though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, they do. I always get asked if I'm okay, when I'm simply fine. It's either that or people get annoyed with me because I'm actually listening but somehow I'm looking 'bored'.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Yes, a certain girl asks me that quite often very randomly. As a matter of fact I'm not so fine, really. But I don't give her anything, it's not like I'm going to say "yes, as a matter of fact my life is very complicated right now" when we're out smoking a cigarette. I should probably be more open with people and latch on to those kinds of hints.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My problem is that I have little control of my body language and facial expressions. So saying "I'm fine" right after my face and body show irritation or disgust, it just isn't very convincing. Or trying to act like I'm not attracted to a woman when it's obvious that I am.
But I still go with the "Deny Everything" tactic, because that's all I have!

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I get lost in thought I apparently look sad/upset, which often leads people to ask me if everything's ok. Only a few people who really know me understand that I'm just very concentrated, but most of the time I end up having to answer questions like "Are you with us?" or "bad news?" (especially while I'm reading something interesting, which annoys me because I get interrupted).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I apparently give off a strong uncomfortable vibe, which is a pretty accurate reflection of my internal state. How my friend described it is that I'm nice but not friendly.

I also tend to space out while daydreaming and look sad during car rides.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've learned how to fake it. Let's say I'm at a party: I put on a fake smile, act like I'm having fun and enjoying the conversation, so ppl don't get offended, but then I get tired of it and have a hudge urge to leave.
On the other hand, I don't know how to react to presents yet, I just say "thanks" even when I REALLY like it, and then I get the infinity of "Do you really like it? If you don't, we can replace it." Not sure if it's my face at that moment, or the fact that I'm not comfortable with that particular situation, but people obviously get some general vibe of discontent or disinterest that I can't control.

·
Registered
Ji supremacy
3,509 Posts
ive been victimized before, especially when im not too happy about a certain state of mind, the state around me or a thought and i guess it all floats on my face and so people ive seen people have all sorts of reactions of compassion and worry.i dont realize it until later.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts