Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

Registered
Damn good question. I'd say, there's potentially two archetypes I can think of right off the bat.

"The Damsel In Distress" -- Very feminine, anxious, sometimes codependent, sensitive, etc.
I've learned to avoid them, since a while. Though I was attracted to the type since they were among the first to give me romantic attention. Especially after a really rough time in my life, that felt good.
I soon learned it never stayed good. They sought some kind of savior or hero in me, which I'm not. (I believe)

Then we have:
"The Tomboy" -- which is essentially the opposite of the above
I've always had a rather good relationship with any and all "tomboys".
Would be easy to hang around, both friendship-wise as romantically.
IME, it's always been a easy and smooth relationship with problems being ironed out before massive arguments arise.
I believe our communication styles, among many other things, just match well.

If the stereotype has some influence? I'm not sure, though I believe I do seek out those traits more now than I've done before.And the reason ought to be explained above, but to summarize:
Similar interests, similar (and straight-forward) communication, tend to be stable and level-headed.
They also tend to see me more for who I am, rather than some idealized stereotype.
(compare to "the hero/savior" above)

Registered
Exorcist, weakling prince, jester, sacred prostitute, swindler.

I tried to think what it is about them... I think I am just often amazed at the AUDACITY of these people. In good and bad ways.

Reactions: Rift and Squirt

Registered
Type 1. What鈥檚 the Archetype for a person: who comes off like they are sensitive externally, but they confuse being emotional and using their emotions to self medicate and act like babies, as they are sensitive? What type is this?

Type 2. Authority/Older (hey I鈥檓 aware I got 鈥 mommy and daddy issues鈥 stereotypes here 馃ぃ)

Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
Type 1. What鈥檚 the Archetype for a person: who comes off like they are sensitive externally, but they confuse being emotional and using their emotions to self medicate and act like babies, as they are sensitive? What type is this?
visionaries unless you're talking about spoiled/sheltered prince/sses. maybe sub?

Type 2. Authority/Older (hey I鈥檓 aware I got 鈥 mommy and daddy issues鈥 stereotypes here 馃ぃ)
so, you'd date the prince/ss while aiming to get closer to the king/queen aka royal?

honestly, more details needed to narrow archetypes unless you want str8 up daddy (& the mommy archtype is slightly different), so let's just simplify and say dom.

Registered
No I don鈥檛 like masters and daddies or mommies literally. I鈥檓 not into that stupid shit (no offense aimed at anyone who is). Just not my dealio. To each their own. I鈥檓 not a sub.

I just was saying I often fall for older people in authority positions

Or as you said visionary鈥檚

visionaries unless you're talking about spoiled/sheltered prince/sses. maybe sub?

so, you'd date the prince/ss while aiming to get closer to the king/queen aka royal?

honestly, more details needed to narrow archetypes unless you want str8 up daddy (& the mommy archtype is slightly different), so let's just simplify and say dom.

Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
Or as you said visionary鈥檚
the common writeup for the visionary is that they're idealistic forward thinkers but often emotionally sheltered or immature.

while royals are more bound to structure, hierarchy and titles, job security but run the risk of being too controlling.

then you have mentors that would like to teach the world to sing or find an apprentice to bequeath their knowledge, insight and legacy to... while their shadow risks egotism, being too devoted to a cause and a tendency to desire to overwrite other people in their image.

the cocky; cocksure, overconfident - which can be immature with shades of rebel & smartalec but tend to be social/business climbers as well but prone to risk taking and alienating people by being too much of a jerkarse. so, the same losers that could easily be creating a startup or wasting their time, throwing their last dimes, at the track.

the hero - prone to a messiah complex but they are usually open to a sidekick as long as they don't outshine them and remember to pick up their dry cleaning

the conservator - someone to handle the grown up responsibilities, so you don't have to worry about it. sometimes requested but often the result of a court order.

Retired Administrator
I took the quiz @Rift suggested in the other quiz thread--the issue for me is that I have a hard time narrowing down archetypes. Like I am not sure how to differentiate them, so I don't really want to list them off.

This one doesn't really have the traditional Jungian archetypes though, I don't think. According to the quiz, and my attempt to try to figure out what I'd be attracted to (though it's probably idealized)--I would be attracted to "spiritual, advocate, and intellectual."

And my own archetype was "creative, caregiver, visionary" according to the quiz.

But I'm not sure the people I'm consciously attracted to always match what I might be unconsciously attracted to--like perhaps more negative traits. Idk though--Idk what the negative sides of "spiritual, advocate, and intellectual" are. Spiritual seems odd because I usually am more attracted to atheists. I mean, I do seek my own spiritual development, but I usually see that as different than attraction, though I guess it's admirable. I really just think acting ethically is more important than being spiritual though.

Edit: Y'know, the more I think about it, the more spiritual does sort of make sense--I should look through the Jungian archetypes to see what it would correlate to. Advocate is sort of typical--both of my long term relationships have been involved in activism (though my most recent relationship--I met him at an event but he really isn't much of an activist).

Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
And my own archetype was "creative, caregiver, visionary" according to the quiz.
I suggested answering with ones' partner in mind or things they'd like their partner to answer.

their descriptions are rather basic and superficial - however they list additional archetypes for the ones they have listed which can be associated with traditional archetypes.

their listed creative archetypes:

ARTIST- Your life is a canvas
CHEF - Your kitchen is your sanctuary
CHILD - You are magical, messy, and creatively fun
POET - You are prolific, gentle, and deeply sensitive
NOVELIST - You have the gift of words and storytelling
ROMANTIC - You have a masters degree in the art of love and romance
LOVER - You are in love with love
SHAPE SHIFTER - You can morph into anything or anyone you need to b

Core value: Originality
Pattern: I don鈥檛 like repetition
live for: Self expression
Happiest: Creating something from nothing
Habit to Break: Being a perfectionist
You Might be a Creative if: You love anything that involves working with your hands
Style: Colorful, unique, and relaxed
Beauty Profile: You鈥檙e different, often an introvert. You鈥檙e all about experimental beauty, mixing and matching different colors and scents
Kissing Style: Long and romantic
Favorite Getaways: Checking out galleries, flea markets, antique fairs, music festivals, or seeing foreign films
idea of a good time:Candle light, music, and a slow dance

their listed caregiver archetypes:

TEACHER - Excellent listener, seldom shy, often charismatic, love mentoring PARENT - Reliable, compassionate, responsible
BFF - Reliable and someone people turn to at the worst and best of times
RESCUER - Courageous, selfless, with a genuine desire to help
MENTOR - Open to those hungry to learn, giving confidence to those who need it most
NURSE/DOCTOR/HEALER - Ability to stay calm, You live to save lives, You feel called to help others.
CIVIL SERVANT - You are a vital component to keeping your community safe and sound.
VETERAN - You are a selfless servant to your country.

CORE VALUE: Compassion
PATTERN: Taking care of others
LIVE FOR: Family and Friends
AT HAPPIEST: Loving and being loved
HABIT TO BREAK: Saying 鈥淵es鈥 to everything
YOU MIGHT BE A CAREGIVER IF: You are on speed dial whenever crisis strikes one of your many friends
STYLE:Easy, versatile, comfortable.
BEAUTY PROFILE:Your appearance is often last on your list. You鈥檙e time-starved, so when it comes to beauty you like products that are multitasking, nurturing, and soft
KISSING STYLE: Sweet and tender kisses on lips, eyelids, and cheeks
DREAM GETAWAY: Family vacations, road trips, or a weekend getaway to nearby beaches or lakes
IDEA OF A GOOD TIME: Any gathering that involves good friends and family

their listed visionary archetypes:

DESIGNER - Dressed well and drawn to objects that titillate and inspire
FUTURIST - Incredible minds and tenacious about achieving their goals.
ENTREPRENEUR - Spirit of exploration and adventure
DETECTIVE - Well-organized, curious and articulate by nature
DIRECTOR - Keeps everything going at once while maintaining order
STRATEGIST - You see total picture and therefore solutions to problems.
INTUITIVE - You see inside a person and you see the future.
HERMIT - You have an inordinate need for solitude to explore your world creatively and intellectually.

core value: Innovation
Pattern: I love patterns, repetition and order
live for: The future
happiest: Exchanging ideas and opinions and playing with new gadgets
Habit to break: Over thinking, paranoia
you might be a visionary if: have an uncanny ability to predict trends and see the future
style: Wearing the same outfits everyday . seamless socks, no scratchy fabrics or labels, neutral colors. Grey is good
Beauty Profile: high tech, futuristic one step products
Kissing style: The most intuitive kiss ever
Dream getaway: Must be scenic, must be secluded
idea of a good time: Being hyper focused on an idea or lost in an outer space with plenty of solitude

Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
I took the quiz @Rift suggested in the other quiz thread--the issue for me is that I have a hard time narrowing down archetypes. Like I am not sure how to differentiate them, so I don't really want to list them off.

This one doesn't really have the traditional Jungian archetypes though, I don't think. According to the quiz, and my attempt to try to figure out what I'd be attracted to (though it's probably idealized)--I would be attracted to "spiritual, advocate, and intellectual."
yeah, I skipped over that in reading, my bad.

spiritual:
core value:Faith
Pattern:prayer and seeking, belief driven
live for:Synchronicity and a higher power
happiest:When I feel peace
Habit to break:Magical thinking
style:Feminine, relaxed, flowy. I love transparancy, white and crystals
Beauty Profile: Water is calming and heavenly to you. You engage with beauty through scent and rituals like showers and baths
kissing style:On the lips with two hands on the cheeks
Dream getaway:An Ashram of retreatmy idea of a good time:Yoga, meditation and connecting on a deep level with others

which SPIRITUAL archetype are you?

HEALER/SHAMAN - Knowledgeable of the healing of the soul
SAINT - Humble, selfless, uplifting and always willing to help in a crisis
RELIGIOUS SERVANT - Humble, kind and disciplined; inspirational teachers and friends
MYSTIC - Inspiring and capable of invoking ecstasy
GURU - Like seeing people become their best selves
ANGEL- Strong messengers who can protect, inspire and lead the downtrodden to a safe place
CELIBATE - You are devoted to a spiritual practice that has turned on your light and turned off your desire for sex
MISSIONARY - You are on a mission that you feel called to
MARTYR - Your life and soul has been called to sacrifice for the greater good
SAMARITAN - You are simply a good person with absolutely no agenda
DISCIPLE - You are a devotee of a spiritual leader or guru

advocate:

CORE VALUE: Hope
PATTERN: Being a champion for a good cause
live for: Fighting for a cause
happiest: Fighting for a cause I believe in
Habit to break:Having a personal agenda
you might be an advocate if:You often find yourself 鈥渧olunteering鈥
style: Natural, eco friendly and fair trade
Beauty Profile:You go for safety over efficacy with natural, good-for-the-environment, and politically correct beauty products
Kissing Style: The healthy, organic kiss
Dream Getaway: Ecotourism and trips to places in need of help (Haiti, Galapagos Islands, Africa)
idea of a good time: Getting pumped up and passionate at a protest

WHICH ADVOCATE ARCHETYPE ARE YOU?
HERO - True to their mission without succumbing to naysaying or fear
CRUSADER - Brave, articulate, and moral
LAWYER - Intelligent and disciplined, high-powered and thick-skinned
HUMAN RIGHTS ADVOCATE - Grace and selflessness with the highest of moral convictions

intellectual:

core values:Knowledge
pattern:Information seeking
live for:Trending news stories
happiest: With a book in my hand
Habit to break: Being a know it all
You might be an intellectual if:You can never have too much information
My style:Tailored, conservative, preppy. You love a neutral pallette and button downs
Beauty Profile: Traditional, understated, appropriate. Facts and clinical results matter. You鈥檙e all about smart skincare and no-fuss,conservative beauty
kissing style: Dry, short, soft and on the lips
dream getaway:A lecture
idea of a good time: A trip to the museum

which INTELLECTUAL archetype are you?
PHILOSOPHER - Methodical in both thought and action
SCHOLAR/STUDENT - Lively and curious wherever you go. Eternally loving to learn
GEEK - True to themselves, and because of this, can be inspiring as friends who don鈥檛 judge
SCIENTIST - happy listening as talking, and always up for an intelligent conversation
SAGE - a wise soul that imparts information acquired only with time and experience
CRONE - The wise woman who hands down information to younger women on the path to womanhood.
SEEKER - You are on a search for truth and wisdom wherever it can be found.
PHILOSOPHER - You are on a pursuit to better understand the meaning of life.
JUDGE - You excel at mediation, arbitration and cutting through to the heart of the matter with compassion, fairness and balance.
INVENTOR - You are a modern day alchemist that converts matter into energy or energy into matter

uhh... yeah. way too kooky but again, can be attached to more formal archetypes. . . just a simple quiz to use as a stepping stone.

couldn't find a quiz where the answers led to bdsm cenobites, hell demons, classical angels or nightbreed.

Retired Administrator
I suggested answering with ones' partner in mind or things they'd like their partner to answer.

their descriptions are rather basic and superficial - however they list additional archetypes for the ones they have listed which can be associated with traditional archetypes.

their listed creative archetypes:

ARTIST- Your life is a canvas
CHEF - Your kitchen is your sanctuary
CHILD - You are magical, messy, and creatively fun
POET - You are prolific, gentle, and deeply sensitive
NOVELIST - You have the gift of words and storytelling
ROMANTIC - You have a masters degree in the art of love and romance
LOVER - You are in love with love
SHAPE SHIFTER - You can morph into anything or anyone you need to b

Core value: Originality
Pattern: I don鈥檛 like repetition
live for: Self expression
Happiest: Creating something from nothing
Habit to Break: Being a perfectionist
You Might be a Creative if: You love anything that involves working with your hands
Style: Colorful, unique, and relaxed
Beauty Profile: You鈥檙e different, often an introvert. You鈥檙e all about experimental beauty, mixing and matching different colors and scents
Kissing Style: Long and romantic
Favorite Getaways: Checking out galleries, flea markets, antique fairs, music festivals, or seeing foreign films
idea of a good time:Candle light, music, and a slow dance

their listed caregiver archetypes:

TEACHER - Excellent listener, seldom shy, often charismatic, love mentoring PARENT - Reliable, compassionate, responsible
BFF - Reliable and someone people turn to at the worst and best of times
RESCUER - Courageous, selfless, with a genuine desire to help
MENTOR - Open to those hungry to learn, giving confidence to those who need it most
NURSE/DOCTOR/HEALER - Ability to stay calm, You live to save lives, You feel called to help others.
CIVIL SERVANT - You are a vital component to keeping your community safe and sound.
VETERAN - You are a selfless servant to your country.

CORE VALUE: Compassion
PATTERN: Taking care of others
LIVE FOR: Family and Friends
AT HAPPIEST: Loving and being loved
HABIT TO BREAK: Saying 鈥淵es鈥 to everything
YOU MIGHT BE A CAREGIVER IF: You are on speed dial whenever crisis strikes one of your many friends
STYLE:Easy, versatile, comfortable.
BEAUTY PROFILE:Your appearance is often last on your list. You鈥檙e time-starved, so when it comes to beauty you like products that are multitasking, nurturing, and soft
KISSING STYLE: Sweet and tender kisses on lips, eyelids, and cheeks
DREAM GETAWAY: Family vacations, road trips, or a weekend getaway to nearby beaches or lakes
IDEA OF A GOOD TIME: Any gathering that involves good friends and family

their listed visionary archetypes:

DESIGNER - Dressed well and drawn to objects that titillate and inspire
FUTURIST - Incredible minds and tenacious about achieving their goals.
ENTREPRENEUR - Spirit of exploration and adventure
DETECTIVE - Well-organized, curious and articulate by nature
DIRECTOR - Keeps everything going at once while maintaining order
STRATEGIST - You see total picture and therefore solutions to problems.
INTUITIVE - You see inside a person and you see the future.
HERMIT - You have an inordinate need for solitude to explore your world creatively and intellectually.

core value: Innovation
Pattern: I love patterns, repetition and order
live for: The future
happiest: Exchanging ideas and opinions and playing with new gadgets
Habit to break: Over thinking, paranoia
you might be a visionary if: have an uncanny ability to predict trends and see the future
style: Wearing the same outfits everyday . seamless socks, no scratchy fabrics or labels, neutral colors. Grey is good
Beauty Profile: high tech, futuristic one step products
Kissing style: The most intuitive kiss ever
Dream getaway: Must be scenic, must be secluded
idea of a good time: Being hyper focused on an idea or lost in an outer space with plenty of solitude
Yeah--those were the archetypes it typed me as.

I took the test a couple times because when I did it while answering for the attractive partner, I wasn't sure if I was being egotistical or something, and answering my qualities. So I took one first for the idealized other, and then for myself. And I did get different results, and creative sounds pretty fitting for me since I can identify with several of those "family members."

But for the other person:

Spiritual

Maybe:

THE SAINT: It鈥檚 hard not to love Saints. They are humble, selfless, uplifting and always willing to help in a crisis.

I would be into that. Wouldn't anyone?

THE MYSTIC:
Mystics can be inspiring and capable of invoking ecstasy with even more potency than poets or musicians. They have a way of encouraging higher spheres of interaction in all circumstances.

IDK but Rumi poetry is pretty good. So this is probably the archetype.

RELIGIOUS SERVANT:
Humble, kind and disciplined, the deeply religious can be inspirational teachers and friends.

Yes--I think maybe teachers and friends. I don't think sexual relationships.

THE GURU:
Gurus, by nature, want to see people become their best selves, so while they can be tough teachers, they are empathetic in a parental way. They are also ideal role models.

That sounds attractive, sort of...though I've never found actual gurus attractive (except the guys who lead meditations by audio--sometimes I think that's attractive.)

THE ANGELS:
Angels are the strongest messengers of the spiritual who can protect, inspire and lead the downtrodden to a safe place.

Angels sound like good things but IDK about romantically. But maybe.

No:

THE CELIBATE: You are devoted to a spiritual practice that has turned on your light and turned off your desire for sex. You can also become starved leading you to depraved acts.

This seems like it would present problems in a sexual relationship? I mean, except for the "depraved" part--wait, I think that'd still present problems.

THE MISSIONARY
: You are on a mission that you feel called to. It consumes you. You may also become a slave to a mission that is no longer a worthy pursuit of your time or talent.

I don't think so.

THE SAMARITAN:
You are simply a good person with absolutely no agenda. You walk the walk and don鈥檛 need to talk. You can also be taken advantage of or you may take advantage of others by making them feel obligated to you.

That sounds good--except for the "taken advantage of" part...oh...and the making others feel obligate. Nevermind.

THE DISCIPLE:
You are a devotee of a spiritual leader or guru. You would rather follow the light than be the light. You can also be easily led astray.

That doesn't sound particularly attractive to me. Though at least he can be led astray?

The Advocates and Intellectuals also seem pretty great.

But to just start with the "Spiritual" I think that maybe there is an archetype for Priest or something (I come from a line of priests so maybe it's not so weird) or Sage or maybe Wizard (or maybe not idk) or like Monk.

I'll just start with looking into that archetype because I've never really thought about it before. The page linked in the OP looks like a great resource.

Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
But to just start with the "Spiritual" I think that maybe there is an archetype for Priest or something (I come from a line of priests so maybe it's not so weird) or Sage or maybe Wizard (or maybe not idk) or like Monk.
I was thinking it was the chicken soup for the soul, wish fulfillment, positive/magnetic thinking, ego wanking, infj types.

Retired Administrator
I was thinking it was the chicken soup for the soul, wish fulfillment, positive/magnetic thinking, ego wanking, infj types.
I know--I thought of that too.

But I think it might be more like the literal archetype, but idk. I was reminded of how I developed this weird crush on Nathaniel Hawthorn when I was reading The Scarlet Letter. I think it was a combination of the male voice reading the audiobook on Librivox (idk if they still have the same version of it up) and also just the puritan guilt and perfectionism and obsessiveness. And the story of Hester and that priest--like he should have been less stuck up. It was also a story of so much that was wrong with the world and I still thought something about Hawthorne taking on that fake puritan accent/dialect was sort of hot.

I think it was just when you think of a spiritual lesson you think of guilt and shame and transcending it. And that's something that the priest in The Scarlet Letter couldn't ever do, and in the end he was more sinned than Hester. And the entire faith practice was sinful--so it was like this contrast--this tension between romanticism and the ideals of nature and release and equality against this super patriarchal and ultimately destructive rigid puritanism?

And I think Hawthorne himself was sort of ashamed of his coming from a background of extreme puritanism, though Hawthorne was also just kind of a sexist asshole, I think. But I couldn't help but feel he was trying to come to terms with his family heritage or something and make sense of some archetypes?

Like one page I read saw Hester as the Martyr and the Outcast, and also talked about the Saint archetype.

So this archetype could relate to why I got a crush on Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Registered
ISTP 9w8
I think a mix of Child, Magician, and Rebel archetypes. Probably because they reflect my inner identities and aspirations. I often feel that most people don't get me or reject me in some way, even if they like me. And it usually has to do with manifestations of these three archetypes. So maybe I just want someone who won't try to change me, and will in fact help me change the world. Maybe that's hypocritical, but in a way I think life is all about enforcing your will on the world, whether it interferes with other people's or not.

Registered
My own archetypes for that quiz were creative, visionary, intellectual.
For partner: royal (i can see why... I truly was thinking of one entitled brat. Jk, I do like some aspects of this for real), athlete (probably mostly for the competitive aspect... maybe I subconsciously admire the results, idk idk), caregiver (big oof).

1 - 20 of 75 Posts