Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
For me it’s mostly - the sage. If you like exploring the psychology of attraction, you’ll enjoy looking into the dark triad type, it can be the romanticised anti-hero and it can be a diagnosed psychopath that folks still find terribly attractive.

·
Retired Administrator
15,780 Posts
For me it’s mostly - the sage. If you like exploring the psychology of attraction, you’ll enjoy looking into the dark triad type, it can be the romanticised anti-hero and it can be a diagnosed psychopath that folks still find terribly attractive.
I tend to think the main reason why dark triad would ever be attractive is due to how they must invest in a deceptive persona in order to swindle people into trusting them long enough to take advantage of them. So the image they present is overly seductive and attempts to manipulate the object of their attention since if they were to just "be themselves" they would immediately be rejected.

So the attractiveness of dark-triad characteristics is due to deception, in an effort to make themselves seem more attractive than they truly are.

They are attractive as a means of survival because without the pretty wrapping society would reject them and they would be unable to survive due to their parasitic nature.

·
Registered
Cookie Monster 🍪
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you Rift and WickerDeer for the quiz angle! I deliberately avoided that 12 archetypes thing splattered all over the internet in infographics. I found it too limited, and wanted to see where others might take the concept rather than shoe-horning immediately... which is why I chose the longer list that used multiple sources.

Attractions from le big list, clustered:

Arbitrator
Dark Lord
Master
Tyrant

Explorer
Nomad
Vagabond
Wanderer

Author
Intellectual
Nerd

Individualist
Loner
Nonconformist

Fool
Innocent One
Secretary

Shape-shifter
Trickster

Blend all or the majority of this list together and I fall hard. You think it can't be done? Too many contradictions? Well, humans are walking contradictions. I've met a few already. :devilish:

For that quiz, I also got visionary and creative (equal percentage) and then a slightly lower percentage for intellectual. When answering the questions for "what I'm attracted to", I got royal as the highest percentage, followed by visionary and intellectual.

I tend to think the main reason why dark triad would ever be attractive is due to how they must invest in a deceptive persona in order to swindle people into trusting them long enough to take advantage of them. So the image they present is overly seductive and attempts to manipulate the object of their attention since if they were to just "be themselves" they would immediately be rejected.

So the attractiveness of dark-triad characteristics is due to deception, in an effort to make themselves seem more attractive than they truly are.
Even so, it can tell a lot about a person when they are susceptible to "seduction" in a particular way. I've already mentioned this on another thread, but the TV Show "The Imposters" explores that directly, and I thought that was neat.

·
Registered
993 Posts
How did you hop from attraction archetypes to psychos? Perhaps I'm missing the context, in that you were responding to someone in thread? If not, this appears to narrow down the whole about the psychology of attraction, into the lowest 1%.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for your curiosity. Each archetype is underpinned by a higher abs a shadow self which manifests in dark traits. Some of these traits have been clustered into a “dark triad”. Henceforth, if you look at archetypes, you can also change your vantage point and look at another way of clustering dark and “light” traits. The dark triad is an example not an attempt to reduce attraction to what you call the lowest 1%. Hope you find it useful.

How did you hop from attraction archetypes to psychos? Perhaps I'm missing the context, in that you were responding to someone in thread? If not, this appears to narrow down the whole about the psychology of attraction, into the lowest 1%.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Why presume that the draw is to shadow or that shadow even factors into the initial attraction phase? For that matter, I'm not convinced that there's a lot of psychology associated to the majority of what people are drawn towards, considering how most people are drawn to looks. Some bother to peel the onion at a later date.

Thanks for your curiosity. Each archetype is underpinned by a higher abs a shadow self which manifests in dark traits. Some of these traits have been clustered into a “dark triad”. Henceforth, if you look at archetypes, you can also change your vantage point and look at another way of clustering dark and “light” traits. The dark triad is an example not an attempt to reduce attraction to what you call the lowest 1%. Hope you find it useful.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don’t have to presume. As mentioned, here is some evidence that the dark triad is attractive: Psychology Uncovers Sex Appeal of Dark Personalities. Alternatively, you can check out the number of romantic gestures directed towards folks like Richard Ramirez and Ted Bundy. Again, the dark triad is a way to cluster traits, just like archetypes or other typologies. Good luck with your line of inquiry!

Why presume that the draw is to shadow or that shadow even factors into the initial attraction phase? For that matter, I'm not convinced that there's a lot of psychology associated to the majority of what people are drawn towards, considering how most people are drawn to looks. Some bother to peel the onion at a later date.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Most people don't have hybristophilia.

I don’t have to presume. As mentioned, here is some evidence that the dark triad is attractive: Psychology Uncovers Sex Appeal of Dark Personalities. Alternatively, you can check out the number of romantic gestures directed towards folks like Richard Ramirez and Ted Bundy. Again, the dark triad is a way to cluster traits, just like archetypes or other typologies. Good luck with your line of inquiry!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Human nature is complex. My understanding of the article is that dark personality traits - narcissism, psychopathy and Machiavellianism - are appealing to a statistically significant number of people who participated in the study. Accounts of Ted Bundy’s life describe him as very charming to the ladies - who at that time didn’t know of him as a serial killer, therefore hybristophilia is unlikely in those cases, possible in others.

The attraction to dark traits seems to be supported by evidence and I think it adds an interesting perspective to the conversation of without attempting to reduce attraction to the lowest 1%.

Most people don't have hybristophilia.

·
Registered
993 Posts
What study are you talking about? Is it embedded in the article and if so, can you link it?

Human nature is complex. My understanding of the article is that dark personality traits - narcissism, psychopathy and Machiavellianism - are appealing to a statistically significant number of people who participated in the study. Accounts of Ted Bundy’s life describe him as a very charming to the ladies - who at that time didn’t know of him as a serial killer, therefore hybristophilia is unlikely.

The attraction to dark traits seems to be supported by evidence. I think it adds to The conversation without attempting to reduce attraction to the lowest 1%.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Next time, no more bullshit. Also, anyone clicking on links on the Internet that aren't to 'known' public sources, should always gird up with at minimum, a VPN/proxy server. If it's a sketch source, layer up even more.
Sorry I can’t help you further. I’m glad you’re curious about this and I wish you good luck.

·
Retired Administrator
15,780 Posts
Human nature is complex. My understanding of the article is that dark personality traits - narcissism, psychopathy and Machiavellianism - are appealing to a statistically significant number of people who participated in the study. Accounts of Ted Bundy’s life describe him as very charming to the ladies - who at that time didn’t know of him as a serial killer, therefore hybristophilia is unlikely in those cases, possible in others.

The attraction to dark traits seems to be supported by evidence and I think it adds an interesting perspective to the conversation of without attempting to reduce attraction to the lowest 1%.
The article specifically says this:

The dark triad score was positively correlated with their “dressed-up” attractiveness – a finding that mirrors previous findings. However, the dark triad score was not related to ratings of physical attractiveness in the dressed-down photos. In other words, people with dark personality traits are not seen as more physically attractive than others when you take away their freedom to wear their own clothes and makeup. People with dark personalities seem to be better at making themselves physically appealing.
That is to say, people with dark triad scores that are higher tend to dress themselves up with makeup and clothing to appear more attractive.

This doesn't mean "people are attracted to dark triad traits."

In my opinion, it likely means people with dark triad traits tend to overcompensate for their loathsome personalities by dressing more attractively, and likely adopting more attractive, charming mannerisms when you first meet them. That is why they tend to be more attractive "at first sight."

I don't want to derail the discussion with this, but I think it's an important distinction because sometimes this kind of article is misrepresented as if young men should emulate dark triad qualities to attract women. Which I think is bad advice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
“People perceived the narcissists as more likeable and found that they had flashier appearances, more confident body language, and more attractive facial expressions. Together with Holtzman and Strube’s findings, this suggests that narcissists are more skilled at carrying and presenting themselves in a way that immediately impresses others.”

I suppose it’s a combination of over-compensation - in one study - and finding their behavior attractive /charming at first sight - as in the second cited study.

Its an important distinction and I hope that one learns to get to know another person better - despite their initial attraction. Narcissists and codependent personalities do however get into long term relationships that eventually hurt all involved parties.

The article specifically says this:

That is to say, people with dark triad scores that are higher tend to dress themselves up with makeup and clothing to appear more attractive.

This doesn't mean "people are attracted to dark triad traits."

In my opinion, it likely means people with dark triad traits tend to overcompensate for their loathsome personalities by dressing more attractively, and likely adopting more attractive, charming mannerisms when you first meet them. That is why they tend to be more attractive "at first sight."

I don't want to derail the discussion with this, but I think it's an important distinction because sometimes this kind of article is misrepresented as if young men should emulate dark triad qualities to attract women. Which I think is bad advice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don’t know how I’ve offended you nor what you mean by “bullshit”. Sorry you didn’t like my perspective, interpretation and that you don’t find the article valuable. It’s easier to be aggressive than to carry a debate.

Next time, no more bullshit.

·
Registered
993 Posts
You made a claim about studies embedded in the article. There were no studies involved, simply a lot of statements and links to guides. Statements and guides aren't studies. I could state that unicorns exist and create guides but that doesn't mean that unicorns exist. No doubt that assorted philias exist, including a sexual attraction to balloons. But that doesn't that men should dress in balloons, to attract women.
I don’t know how I’ve offended you nor what you mean by “bullshit”. Sorry you didn’t like my perspective, interpretation and that you don’t find the article valuable. It’s easier to be aggressive than to carry a debate.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You made a claim about studies embedded in the article. There were no studies involved, simply a lot of statements and links to guides. Statements and guides aren't studies. I could state that unicorns exist and create guides but that doesn't mean that unicorns exist. No doubt that assorted philias exist, including a sexual attraction to balloons. But that doesn't that men should dress in balloons, to attract women.
I’m sorry, I don’t know what you mean by “statements and guides, but no studies”. To me it seems that the studies were published in psychology journals and linked appropriately. You can download those from Science Direct yourself.

I find your tone unnecessarily aggressive. I never said men or women should do anything. I simply added a perspective on what people find attractive and how attractive traits are also linked to dark triad types.

·
Registered
Cookie Monster 🍪
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
21 - 40 of 75 Posts