Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Description:
Research shows that chasing after perfect grades discourages creativity and reduces academic risk taking. Here's why good grades don't always translate into success in life.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
When I got into college, I set this goal briefly for myself that I was going to graduate Summa Cum Laude (highest GPA honors that you can receive) but then I changed my mind when I realized: what would the point of it be? Would it indicate I had learned more than my classmates? Would I get a monetary prize out of it? What exactly does not having a high GPA prevent a person from doing in life? ...I can't think of anything, and because of that, I deem the whole grading system essentially worthless.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Only a good idea when you have plans that involve a measure of those grades later. Say you are undergrad and want to get into a grad program, getting the "best" grades possible greatly increases options. Some employers look at grades too, I live near Intel in Oregon and see lots of engineering intern programs and full time placement positions that cite minimm GPA's.

Other than that, no, they probably aren't worth focusing on. I didn't focus on grades in my program, and did "average" but I have had quite a bit above average success in my career since. All the employers I've had just looked at the degree, not any grades.

I was able to spend more time on the labs, which was the part I enjoyed. It was also the part that could be applied to "real" jobs, and I spent less on remembering formulas I'd never use again. I got a more "usable" education out of it. One semester I entered a school wide competition for a lab invention. I got first place. That semester was my worst GPA wise, but that was the same semester when my dad died and i had to decide go back to school or drop out. I went anyway but my heart wasn't in it for a while, hence the poor grades. I threw myself into this project as a cope, and it came out very well. When I have interviews and discussed my education I get to mention this project and my award, it always has an impact. Getting the best grades are good, but there are other ways to be successful for some of us.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think some people put too much emphasis on IQs that they become narcissistically unaware of the real world. Stephen King, the author responsible for the film The Shawshank Redemption being based off his own book Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, said, "People who boast about their IQs are losers." Just because you have perfect grades does not mean you can excel at all jobs. Memory attainment and putting out the right answers on paper or online is not the only important thing for certain jobs. Certain jobs require physical labor. If you have seen the show The Big Bang Theory, you might have seen Sheldon Cooper and Penny. Sheldon graduated school early and is mathematically inclined. Penny graduated high school probably at a normal time and is socially inclined. What I have seen is that Sheldon is socially inept in certain ways. Also, what I have seen is that Penny is uninterested in some things that Sheldon does. Even though I do think caring about your academic performance and doing your best are important for wanting a job, that could have standards, that you would want, I also think that some schools blow things out of proportion when it comes to academic performance that it becomes dehumanizing and cliquey.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I think some people put too much emphasis on IQs that they become narcissistically unaware of the real world.
Totally. What about EQ?

Stephen King...said, "People who boast about their IQs are losers."
Last IQ test I took clocked me at 125 (classified as "gifted" but not "genius" which would be 140 or better). I thought the test was boring and was of questionable tactical utility.

Just because you have perfect grades does not mean you can excel at all jobs. Memory attainment and putting out the right answers on paper or online is not the only important thing for certain jobs. Certain jobs require physical labor.
All true. I've made more money working factory jobs than office jobs. My favorite job was operating forklifts.

What I have seen is that Sheldon is socially inept in certain ways.
He's socially inept in many ways! XD

Also, what I have seen is that Penny is uninterested in some things that Sheldon does.
What irritates me most about Sheldon is his superiority complex. It makes him completely unrelatable. If he was truly strategic in this thinking, he'd value all scientific disciplines equally instead of assuming that physics trumps all. Look at what Amy and Howard are able to achieve when they work together! If Sheldon had more of a proper leadership mentality (as he wrongfully fancies himself to have), he'd encourage that sort of thing with his friends who all have differing specialties. His particular mindset lends itself to this "A-Team" style of leadership. That is, if not for his superiority complex. If he could overcome that part of himself, he could be an effective team director.

some schools blow things out of proportion when it comes to academic performance that it becomes dehumanizing and cliquey.
Absolutely agreed. Down with the system!

·
Registered
29,063 Posts
In my school, a grade indicates whether you did the work or not. If you followed the instructions, read the book, paid attention in class, all of these things, then you have a good grade. Just out of the question. People who have bad grades just lack any semblance of a desire to do well. If I'm clueless about something, I don't just sit there and wait for test time. I just don't understand what goes through people's heads when they don't know what they are doing. Grades don't indicate intellect, they usually do indicate effort. Unless it's cheating. Cheating doesn't really happen with people have high grades. It's usually people on the verge of failing that give themselves a leg up by cheating so they can continue with their nonsense. They will not be employed because they don't know what they are doing.

There are plenty of people who have grades but claim to be better students. I just have to question why. It seems like the only reason someone might have a low grade is a lack of effort. Just like the video said, valedictorians are just the hardest workers. I'm not one to sit around and study daily, but I get my work done and in complete form. I never handed in an incomplete assignment. I don't know what people are thinking when they do. Would you do that at work? I hope not. I just don't understand why people wouldn't put the effort in when they are paying to be there.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
As someone who has received perfect grades always, it does not matter. Behavior matters more. Companies would rather pay someone who is decent at their job who won't rock the boat to be a manager, or executive if they have leadership skills than someone from MIT who is going to come and think they're some Michelangelo, and by virtue of attending a prestigious institution you will. This is why fortune 500 companies fill their ranks with experienced people, not with people from top schools.

When companies promote innovation, what they mean is, innovative ways to improve your basic bitch work. They don't want you to go out creating liabilities for them. The leadership will do that. You are to sit and work, and be efficient. This is quite different than doing well in school - almost the opposite.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got top grades my whole life. Test scores, you name it. What did it get me? Well,
everyone thought I was smart and so would then say, "Why, why are you throwing
your life away like this?!!" Okay, they didn't all say it. They would just think it at me
with their beady little eyes. Truth is, I don't want much out of life that it seems other
people are after. I've only just recently finally accepted the ugly truth that competence
doesn't even matter all that much to others, being agreeable does. Well, I've been
going about this all wrong, anyway! Thank God I didn't want that yacht!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Judson Joist said:
Totally. What about EQ?
I asked that "same" question, but it was worded differently in my head. I think the same for the EQ as I do with the IQ. Some people can emphasize them too much.

Last IQ test I took clocked me at 125 (classified as "gifted" but not "genius" which would be 140 or better). I thought the test was boring and was of questionable tactical utility.
I think personality type tests, IQ tests, and EQ tests are not relevant to the real world in some ways.

All true. I've made more money working factory jobs than office jobs. My favorite job was operating forklifts.
You lift, bro? Never mind the question, but I do find that office jobs are better for extraverted and introverted people that are aware of their real world more than their inner world and are willing to interact with different real people and real things if need be instead of being extremely reserved and anxious that they can't.

He's socially inept in many ways! XD
Yeah, I was using the word certain for a humoring effect.

What irritates me most about Sheldon is his superiority complex. It makes him completely unrelatable. If he was truly strategic in this thinking, he'd value all scientific disciplines equally instead of assuming that physics trumps all.
To me, Sheldon Cooper is Adolf Hitler without the social adeptability and other things. And I consider Sheldon Cooper to be a borderline INTJ, and I consider Penny to be a borderline ESFP. Those 2 characters are polar opposites in many ways to me. Yeah, even I cannot see how Sheldon is relatable to the majority of the people that watch the show. I think the writers of the show had him as a character to make the show off the wall. To me, he annoys me more than he entertains me. I actually got tired of watching the show altogether from it looking a stereotype to the nerdy world that it didn't really have an edge that got me hooked on it. But, anyways.

5,146 Posts
In my school, a grade indicates whether you did the work or not. If you followed the instructions, read the book, paid attention in class, all of these things, then you have a good grade. Just out of the question. People who have bad grades just lack any semblance of a desire to do well. If I'm clueless about something, I don't just sit there and wait for test time. I just don't understand what goes through people's heads when they don't know what they are doing. Grades don't indicate intellect, they usually do indicate effort. Unless it's cheating. Cheating doesn't really happen with people have high grades. It's usually people on the verge of failing that give themselves a leg up by cheating so they can continue with their nonsense. They will not be employed because they don't know what they are doing.

There are plenty of people who have grades but claim to be better students. I just have to question why. It seems like the only reason someone might have a low grade is a lack of effort. Just like the video said, valedictorians are just the hardest workers. I'm not one to sit around and study daily, but I get my work done and in complete form. I never handed in an incomplete assignment. I don't know what people are thinking when they do. Would you do that at work? I hope not. I just don't understand why people wouldn't put the effort in when they are paying to be there.
How about attention and memory problems A WELL KNOWN EFFECT OF TRAUMA?

Why do you create delusional stories like this in your mind instead of educating yourself? Why do you lie?

Do you remember how many times I wrote about effects of trauma on cognition, school performance, etc?

What the hell is wrong with you? Why do you lie?

Why are you, normies such malicious liars?

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Or lets have my take on 'perfect grades' with a touch of irony:

If you can't prove your shit, you're shit.

When I look at someone thru the lens as an employer I would look for what's between the ears. The apparent correlation between perfect grades and a perfect mind for the job might be there... but I simply doubt it's there until proven otherwise by the person sitting infront of me.

My story and 'grades':
When grades didn't matter I failed almost everything. I saw no point in performing good for the sake of proving performance. I tried to understand the subjects and no more. Then came a time where grades would impact my life. Pulled myself together and went from 'eh, let him do what he does.. we've tried!'-student to 'better than average, wtf?'-student. With it I got options to choose what to do next... unlike the kids with real issues.

After the choice I slacked off thinking that "a pass is enough everything above is a bonus".... here I am currently not failing at life (I have failed my life once due to outside influences... unlucky timing with the global 2008-crash).

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
(I'm at work so I couldn't watch the video yet, I'm sorry if I'm going to be making some of the same points here)

I'm a teacher and I tell my students all the time that their grades don't really matter. It matters if you get a passing grade or not, but beyond that, nobody will ever care if you had an A or a C+ on your test. You'll still get the same job.

There's a few reasons grades exist.
1: To prove to a future employer that you have te qualifications for the job they're hiring you for
2: To prove to other educational institutions that you have the qualifications to start there.
3: To serve as a list of things to do before you can get a diploma (although the reasons for the diploma are pretty much the above)
4: To get an idea of how well you know the things that were being tested.

The last one is actually a good one, as that one can tell you if you're behind or ahead of the pack, telling you where it might be wise to spend most of your energy. If it's a subject that you want to specialize in, then it can be good to get a good grade so that you can tell yourself that you might be on a good starting level with that subject.

Other than that, no employer will ever care if you got a good grade or a bad one on a subhect, as long as you're able to do the job they ask you to do.

·
Registered
29,063 Posts
How about attention and memory problems A WELL KNOWN EFFECT OF TRAUMA?

Why do you create delusional stories like this in your mind instead of educating yourself? Why do you lie?

Do you remember how many times I wrote about effects of trauma on cognition, school performance, etc?

What the hell is wrong with you? Why do you lie?

Why are you, normies such malicious liars?
Here's the thing. There are reasons why people do not succeed, such as being overwhelmed by various activities that they must perform. There are attention problems, there's this and there's that. But I am not lying when I say that a lot of people don't care and reject some or a lot of subject matter as being useless to them in their lives. That doesn't even have to be the result of giving up. Constant existential questions of "Why are we learning this?" I've seen this firsthand, there are plenty of people on this site who have alluded to the same vein of thinking. The problem with parents is how they approach that. If you expect all students to get A's, you assume that they just aren't working. Some are putting effort in but may have attention problems. But some other people don't care. I don't see what's wrong with saying that people don't care, they say it themselves. Then they promote the people who are for whatever reason stable in the school environment and do well to geniuses when they don't have to be. That's what the valedictorians said, they are hard workers and the video said it didn't have to do with creativity. That's what I said as well, it's really not about intellect. Perhaps more about concentration and focus. But I would think that's true of many jobs.

But once you get into college or a trade school it seems like the existential questions should be going away. You chose to do this, so you should know why you are doing it. Then there are people who come in without passion but only an expectation that they will get money at the end. That doesn't work either. People come in over their heads a lot of times because they have to start learning advanced math which they were not prepared for. Sure the system could be changed to be more like Finland. I don't understand why we need to lie and say that kids don't care when the kids say it themselves.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No, perfect grades/top grades do not really matter. As others have said that as long as you can do the job that is asked of you then you're fine. A lot of times students will earn Cs because the class material has no connection to students and their experiences. The stuff is abstract/theory/principles and that often does not interest many students. They just do enough to get by and a C does not mean you don't get it instead it may mean the student is not interested.

·
Banned
200 Posts
The more time I devote to a specific class the less time I have to read other books and think about other things, I dont see the point in memorizing a subject for like an hour a day when I can do something else with that time. I can either do a ton of genetics problems that may or may not help me on the actual exam for hours or just learn the concept and try to think on my feet on the exam and spend the remaining time reading a philosophy book or something

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
Depend(s) on ones objectives; my field is highly competitive (&) I will take any "boost," I can get - which is usually strong grades, and sufficient experience, especially going in as applicant 3,405. :facepalm:

Anyhow, my idea is striving for good grades - not for the sake of good grades, but rather (i.e., recognizing opportunities / and taking advantage of (X)-opportunities), - while simultaneously fighting back against (stupidities/biases), that is, appoaching "educational hierarchies" in the same ways we "counter" what usually promotes anti-intellectualism and stifles creativity - (e.g., socialization - indoctrination - discipline - trauamtic experiences), and so forth. Daily intellectual hygiene, improving ones susceptibility to misread, miseducate, misunderstand and side philosophizing suffices.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Depends. If you want a shot at an Ivy League college, having perfect grades help but so do other factors like community/charitable efforts, talents, who you know, socioeconomic status, personality, etc. So if you're spending all your time trying to get perfect grades, then you're already outclassed for admission.

Ivy League degrees don't matter as much in STEM and many other fields. They're very helpful for Law, Business and Finance fields.

·
Banned
307 Posts
Woah, there's a whole lot of crazy in this thread. Do people actually believe this BS about grades no mattering or are they just trying to justify their failures in life? Because in reality GPA has an INCREDIBLY STRONG correlation to future income and the income differential between those who go to college and those who don't is the highest it's ever been. Working hard and getting good grades is pretty much a guarantee you will be able to have a good income in the future. Obviously it doesn't guarantee it an, but if you choose not to peruse a high income field then that one is on you, nobody else.

1. Correlation of income to educational attainment.

2. Correlation of income to GPA.

Reactions: Stawker

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
You're graded in elementary/middle school, once you make it to the next grade level, report cards from last year don't matter. Once you get to high school, report cards from grades K-8 don't matter at all! The college acceptation process starts in high school, but once you graduate high school and get into college or university, high school report cards don't matter at all!

I think we get where this is going.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts