Personality Cafe banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The counselor I see has heard of the MBTI. When I first met her, she seemed more interested in it than she does now. She let me borrow the book she had about MBTI in children and copied a couple pages from some other book. But recently it came up and I had to remind her of the dichotomies, which was slightly disappointing. Doesn't really bother me much though, as I'm more of a CF fan and she didn't have a desire to go that far into the theory.

While I think there could potentially be a use for MBTI in counseling, it shouldn't be used as a shortcut for "knowing" a person. There's a ton of variation, so just because you know their type doesn't mean you know what they're like.
I agree completely. I've met a lot of types who are nothing alike but their functions (specifically ENFPs for some reason :confused:). All I'm saying is that I could imagine it could help to know how a patient takes information in. Like, I don't think that the same questions should be asked to an INTJ as a ESFP.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
"Core beliefs" have nothing to do with personality types and are certainly not the "way to go now" for someone who's interested in the kinds of insights that the MBTI and Big Five can offer.

I think you're point that I outlined above is totally invalid. You haven't even heard of Core Beliefs until I told you about it, and yes, it's part of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) that I said before. It's pretty much one of the few alternatives to medication that helps mental illness more effectively than treatment by medication. This is an article about CBT being a practical technique (not the medication point) : http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2008/06/28/how-effective-is-cognitive-behavioral-therapy-cbt-for-anxiety/

Another thing is, psychologists are expensive and one session lasts for only around an hour or so. The thing is you shouldn't practice something like MBTI which people end up not knowing 'what their type is?' for over 2 or 3 years - it's never an exact science. Then again, I still don't know what my type is to be honest.

CBT only lasts for 10 weeks average, and this is practical for psychologists and has worked to improve a person to a point where they can even consider something like MBTI in a healthy state.

I would quote more, but then again I'm guessing you have access to Google and the individuals suffering from mental illnesses or psychologists on YouTube who have posted blogs about how much CBT has helped them, and you can look up how much more CBT has to offer than debatable art psychology theories like MBTI and other a bit more evident theories like Big Five, which don't necessarily apply to everyone (Unless you can back up that fact with another study to make me realize otherwise, which is going to take everyone in the world perhaps).

Well I do enjoy MBTI, but if you really think it should be used in place of psychological techniques that have worked for people with mental illness (in other words, has 'a lot more to offer') - then you're wrong.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I think you're point that I outlined above is totally invalid. You haven't even heard of Core Beliefs until I told you about it, and yes, it's part of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) that I said before. It's pretty much one of the few alternatives to medication that helps mental illness more effectively than treatment by medication. This is an article about CBT being a practical technique (not the medication point) : How Effective is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) for Anxiety? | World of Psychology

Another thing is, psychologists are expensive and one session lasts for only around an hour or so. The thing is you shouldn't practice something like MBTI which people end up not knowing 'what their type is?' for over 2 or 3 years - it's never an exact science. Then again, I still don't know what my type is to be honest.

CBT only lasts for 10 weeks average, and this is practical for psychologists and has worked to improve a person to a point where they can even consider something like MBTI in a healthy state.

I would quote more, but then again I'm guessing you have access to Google and the individuals suffering from mental illnesses or psychologists on YouTube who have posted blogs about how much CBT has helped them, and you can look up how much more CBT has to offer than debatable art psychology theories like MBTI and other a bit more evident theories like Big Five, which don't necessarily apply to everyone (Unless you can back up that fact with another study to make me realize otherwise, which is going to take everyone in the world perhaps).

Well I do enjoy MBTI, but if you really think it should be used in place of psychological techniques that have worked for people with mental illness (in other words, has 'a lot more to offer') - then you're wrong.
It sounds like you completely misunderstood my post.

Once again, with feeling: Your initial post said that "Big Five is not very reliable to [psychologists]", and that "studies have found" that "a certain tribe" didn't have introverts and extraverts, whereas "core beliefs" can be "applied to everyone," leading to your conclusion that "core beliefs is the way to go now."

And my last post emphasized that "comparing Core Beliefs to the MBTI or Big Five is a classic apples/oranges thing." The MBTI and Big Five don't involve therapeutic strategies for treating psychological disorders and, conversely, "core beliefs" have nothing to do with the kinds of relatively hardwired dimensions of normal personality that the MBTI and Big Five deal with.

So no, I don't think the MBTI "should be used in place of psychological techniques that have worked for people with mental illness." That's not what the MBTI and Big Five are about.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Not many, I'd wager. It's usually a punch-line among academics.

They don't tend to sneer at the Big Five quite as much.
Ugh. The Big Five in my opinion doesn't even compare to the quality received with Myers Briggs.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I don't know what they'd use it for. Especially clinical psychologists.

Let's assume John Smith comes to a psychologist/therapist/psychiatrist. He's interested in John Smith, his personal issues and experiences. ENTJ would give him no valuable data.

·
Registered
I Thimk INTP
14,137 Posts
Just wondering, because I could imagine knowing types very well could help you get to know people better and know their functions. I know that some people I meet now I can easily type and I can say certain things to appease them or peeve them :cool: any psychologists on this forum maybe want to chime in?? :)
I would recommend learning some MBTI basics to any psychologist. After all people are different and the MBTI is a starting approach. Would you expect the same thing from an extrovert as an introvert? From a thinker as a feeler? Would you talk to each the same way?

·
Plague Doctor
5,927 Posts
I worked at a private practice that employed a psychometrician. She would go to work places and give people the MBTI and then explain - industrial psychologist way - how to improve the work atmosphere.

In the states the APA gives "continuing education" credits to PsyD and Phd in Psychology counsellors for their required continuing education, so the American Psychological Association sees it as a viable addition to one's education.

I got credited in the MBTI Step I & MBTI Step II for credits when I was a counsellor only (Masters Degree counsellors require continuing education), but I didn't really use it on the job much at all. I did some studies with it in profiling criminal behaviour (I ended up in forensics for about 4 years) and I wrote up some papers for it, but it wasn't anything all that conclusive.

People here are really disbelieving when I tell them in the past that I have used the MBTI as a counsellor. I don't think they believe me for some stupid reason. Or they have this idea that means that I went around typing people and telling them a bunch of pseudo-scientific BS that wasn't true or something. It's not really about how it's used so much as that yes, some people who are in psychology do use it. The way they use it might be very different from what one imagines, but it is used. And the money made through using it, like in the psychometrician's example, is good money sure, but it's not just about making money. It's that the services she provided had meaning and value to those who sought them.

She tested me as an INTJ MBTI and an INFp Socionics. heh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Generally, not. But I am sure some do, depending on their theoretical orientation. A Jungian psychologist would have some knowledge of Jungian typology, which is what inspired the MBTI. Overall, however, psychologists are more likely to use MMPI, MCMI, PAI, NEO assessments. For me personally, if a person came in and was interested in the MBTI, I might use that as a good starting point for exploring how the person sees themselves and processes being-in-the-world. I think it is good for a psychologist to have knowledge of different ways that people may understand personality, to be able to meet a person where they are at. MBTI can be a pretty useful way of understanding personality, as long as it's not held too tightly and used to stereotype people.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I think my therapist used it as a generic surface profile like not to intimately assist with anything but simply to attempt to identify communication style etc through functions. And I am pretty sure it’s commonly used like bright flashes mentioned in work settings to help with identifying that sorta stuff

But my gawd I would hope that it’s not used in major clinical type of stuff

·
Registered
840 Posts
Sites like Personality Hacker claim to have helped many people with their materials, but I wonder how far their help goes beyond what a decent coach would do without referring to any typology. After all it's not hard to determine whether a person needs motivation, assertiveness or other things.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts