Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so, whenever I read about scientists on this forum, it's always the NT types. Usually INTJ or INTP. I also read that intuitives tend to be the ones good at science.
But what about sensors? Can't they also be just as interested or skilled in science?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
actually, you'd think they'd be better suited to it, since it's such a practical field. intuitives can be gifted as well, but that's by having an inkling on how to look at something, or better yet: where to look to begin with... but they'd have to double-time their efforts to make up for their lack of a grounded here-and-now sense of reality.

really though, the principles of science are grounded in sensation.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
yeah anyone can be good at science but you'll find some people on this forum who will make up fake "statistics" trying to say that intuitives are more likely to be scientists.

Reactions: Gurndl

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
There are so many different fields of science that no one type is really going to be representative of the whole. You might find certain types more likely in a specific field of science though.

FWIW here is a statement that Jung made that is somewhat relevant:

"As a natural scientist, thinking and sensation were uppermost in me and intuition and feeling were in the unconscious and contaminated by the collective unconscious."

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
yeah anyone can be good at science but you'll find some people on this forum who will make up fake "statistics" trying to say that intuitives are more likely to be scientists.
You rang, bro?

The official MBTI folks put out Career Reports that show the popularity for each type of "22 broad occupational categories," based on "a sample of more than 92,000 people in 282 jobs who said they were satisfied with their jobs."

One of the 22 categories is "Life, Physical, and Social Sciences," and the following are the rankings (on a 0-100 scale) for that category for the following 14 types. And again, for a job to count for purposes of these rankings, the person had to both have a job in that area and report that they were "satisfied" with their job.

INTJ 100
INTP 100
ENTJ 99
ENTP 87
INFJ 70
ISTJ 64
ENFJ 58
INFP 54
ENFP 53
ISFJ 32
ESTJ 29
ESTP 29
ISFP 24
ESFP 19

(I don't have the stats for ISTPs and ESFJs.)

·
ѕιr вυѕтer n&#96
ESTP
7,115 Posts
Alright, so, whenever I read about scientists on this forum, it's always the NT types. Usually INTJ or INTP. I also read that intuitives tend to be the ones good at science.
But what about sensors? Can't they also be just as interested or skilled in science?
At the moment, I am researching scientific-based things. And in school, I was reasonable at Science. I quite enjoyed it, actually. I used some Sensing in my live experiements, as well as my Inuitive/Thinking side.

All in all, I agree that any type can be a Scientist if they have the drive for it and enjoy doing it.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
You rang, bro?

The official MBTI folks put out Career Reports that show the popularity for each type of "22 broad occupational categories," based on "a sample of more than 92,000 people in 282 jobs who said they were satisfied with their jobs."

One of the 22 categories is "Life, Physical, and Social Sciences," and the following are the rankings (on a 0-100 scale) for that category for the following 14 types. And again, for a job to count for purposes of these rankings, the person had to both have a job in that area and report that they were "satisfied" with their job.

INTJ 100
INTP 100
ENTJ 99
ENTP 87
INFJ 70
ISTJ 64
ENFJ 58
INFP 54
ENFP 53
ISFJ 32
ESTJ 29
ESTP 29
ISFP 24
ESFP 19

my statistics say otherwise sir.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
Personally, as an ESFJ, I do not enjoy, and I am not good at science. My ESTJ brother does, however. I occasionally like reading about theory and such but for me...it's not that relevant to my life. I know a rose is a rose, but I don't need to know what its cells look like. It can be an interesting diversion, but I don't foresee a future where I'm massively interested in science.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like science a lot in school. Part of it is because my teacher's awesome, but mostly I just like the subject in general. It's very logical, the instructions are usually simple and clear, and it involves a lot of facts. Although I do more creative activities like writing and drawing at home, my creativity is sort of a personal thing, so I like classes like science or math because they don't involve it, and I can save that energy for my own projects.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Science is mostly sensors. The stereotypical "media scientist" is the intuitive. Like Richard Dawkins, Carl Sagan, Neil Degrasse Tyson. They are more accomplished personalities, than scientists. Big difference. Intuitives are better at playing scientist, not actually being them.

Reactions: Sygma

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've been considering the idea that ST types have the same essence as science. We like science to deal with the tangible and concrete, what we can observe from objects, and we like to deal with science in a very linear way. Seems right up the ST alley. I don't really like the idea that certain types are *belong* in certain fields, but I would say that yeah, Sensors enjoy science just as much as iNtuitives, and they're just as good.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You rang, bro?

INTJ 100
INTP 100
ENTJ 99
ENTP 87
INFJ 70
ISTJ 64
ENFJ 58
INFP 54
ENFP 53
ISFJ 32
ESTJ 29
ESTP 29
ISFP 24
ESFP 19

Yeah, I looked at that. The whole ball of wax looks extremely flawed. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts