Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was browsing through the ISFJ forum just now, and i came across this very interesting thread that may potentially correlate to Si.

What caught my attention the most was what the OP said - that he/she "remembered their friend saying the word "vexed" from a night at the pub a couple of years ago, and it sticking in their memory as it was not a word he would usually say." (And note, this was apparently from "a couple years ago")

Anybody else see the underlying "randomness" to that memory? Not only was I shocked at how much I related to that (as in, having these sort of "random memories", that is), I even caught a whiff of Ne in what he/she said; there's just this...random, wonky, bounce-of-the-wall vibe to it that's often prescribed to Ne. To offer one of my own examples, I randomly remember how there's this green signboard hanging outside a shop I constantly visited when I was about four (if I have to give a reason why, I think it's because the signboard reminded me of the ones I frequently saw in my favorite show), and when I mentioned this to my dad, he was shocked and applauded me for my memory. But really, I think it's more a case of me just taking in details so irrelevant that nobody else would ever think of paying attention to/taking note of rather than me actually having a 'good memory'.

I actually think this 'randomness' of the memories it generates may potentially be one of Si's traits that's yet to be spoken of, and is what gives Si the impression that it's "concerned with details"/"has a good memory". But to avoid jumping to conclusions, and with the possibility that it may be a universal thing in mind, I'd like to ask: do all of you Se users out there experience this too? Like, do you randomly find yourself unconsciously remembering the oddest things about people/situations? Likewise, do all of you Si users relate to having these "odd memories" as well?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I actually think this 'randomness' of the memories it generates may potentially be one of Si's traits that's yet to be spoken of, and is what gives Si the impression that it's "concerned with details"/"has a good memory". But to avoid jumping to conclusions, and with the possibility that it may be a universal thing in mind, I'd like to ask: do all of you Se users out there experience this too? Like, do you randomly find yourself unconsciously remembering the oddest things about people/situations? Likewise, do all of you Si users relate to having these "odd memories" as well?
I think this is a specific Si users' trait; the allocation of "Top-down" attentive resources for the recovery of mnestic contents and the spontaneous attentive capture "bottom-up" involved in free-recalling memories are two different functions with different neural bases (Top-down: superior parietal lobule; bottom-up: ventral parietal lobule), which means is possible to have people who are better at one of those activities. Si users should have less trouble in recalling memories almost "unconsciously" as you said. An example in the literature may be Proust madeleine, which is in my opinion a really "Si" reading . I hope I didn't miss the point of the question :laughing:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Yeah, I do this all the time. My memory is kind of timeless in that way, in that something that happened 3 years ago is as rememberable as something two days ago. Actually, what I find is that things that happened really recently - like the last 24 hours or something - haven't quite ingrained themselves properly yet, although Si is pretty slow at processing things, so it may just take that long to orient all the details or something... I'm guessing somewhat here. The Emma Jung quote of "These are the people who, if told a joke in the morning, will probably laugh at midnight." rings true for me here though.

But yeah, all sorts of things just pop into consciousness that have some loose connection to the current events. Mostly they're pretty relevant to the situation at hand, but sometimes they can be a bit random and be tenuously linked to what's going on (which often amuses me).

Personally, I think Si is just so bloody thorough it processes loads of pointless details along with the really important stuff because it 'judges' every detail to have some level of significance. Maybe it also struggles to really see the 'whole' of something without all the pointless stuff too - philosophically the question would be, is something still the same something if you take a tiny piece (detail) of it away?

@Turi I'm still digesting your earlier Si posts, and am meaning to provide some input, though haven't quite had the time yet to put together a meaningful response. I'll come back to you.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
My memory is shockingly good, but it needs a trigger. It's not random. If I go somewhere that I have been in the past, even if it is years ago, I will remember what happened there, in dramatic detail, as if it happened yesterday. My memory scares people.

Reactions: Masterpiece

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think this is a specific Si users' trait; the allocation of "Top-down" attentive resources for the recovery of mnestic contents and the spontaneous attentive capture "bottom-up" involved in free-recalling memories are two different functions with different neural bases (Top-down: superior parietal lobule; bottom-up: ventral parietal lobule), which means is possible to have people who are better at one of those activities. Si users should have less trouble in recalling memories almost "unconsciously" as you said. An example in the literature may be Proust madeleine, which is in my opinion a really "Si" reading . I hope I didn't miss the point of the question :laughing:
(Glossing over the first part because all that information makes my head spin lol @[email protected])
So are you saying that everyone has the ability to recall odd, random memories like that; but Si users just do so with more ease and -hence- less consciousness?

Timely thread - have a read of this, let me know if it kind of touches on what you're asking - there's a slight 'memory' detour in the "Tradition" section:
http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/1182090-introverted-sensing-take-two.html#post39515554
Hm, the part about the 'randomness' of Si definitely touches on what I'm asking, but I'm not so sure about the "present impressions arousing past impressions" part. Based on what (little) I've experienced of my Si, I think it's more along the lines of "seeing one clear object/action/person stand out from a past impression". Like, say I went to a water park with my family - I don't remember everything I saw/experienced there, but I remember this one particular instance where my mom stood by my side and shouted "let's go!" right before jumping into the water, or something completely random like that. It's a really odd scene to remember the whole experience by, but I'm able to replay that scene in my head perfectly as it played out in rl, down to every detail.

Then again, I'm not an Si dom, so I'm probably not the best person to be describing Si in practice here. Who knows? Maybe it differs for Si doms/auxes.

Yeah, I do this all the time. My memory is kind of timeless in that way, in that something that happened 3 years ago is as rememberable as something two days ago. Actually, what I find is that things that happened really recently - like the last 24 hours or something - haven't quite ingrained themselves properly yet, although Si is pretty slow at processing things, so it may just take that long to orient all the details or something... I'm guessing somewhat here. The Emma Jung quote of "These are the people who, if told a joke in the morning, will probably laugh at midnight." rings true for me here though.

But yeah, all sorts of things just pop into consciousness that have some loose connection to the current events. Mostly they're pretty relevant to the situation at hand, but sometimes they can be a bit random and be tenuously linked to what's going on (which often amuses me).

Personally, I think Si is just so bloody thorough it processes loads of pointless details along with the really important stuff because it 'judges' every detail to have some level of significance. Maybe it also struggles to really see the 'whole' of something without all the pointless stuff too - philosophically the question would be, is something still the same something if you take a tiny piece (detail) of it away?
As someone with a preference for the Ne-Si axis, what you said about Si being 'slow' is completely spot-on for me as well. When I'm presented with an outer stimuli on-the-spot, my first reaction towards it is to kind of just 'numb out' and not take it in. It's only until later that I am able to make sense of that outer stimuli properly, and the longer it lingers in my mind, the more information I'll be able to 'extract' from it (but then again, this may be Ne's doing rather than Si's, so...idk :/ Do you relate to this? xP)

My memory is shockingly good, but it needs a trigger. It's not random. If I go somewhere that I have been in the past, even if it is years ago, I will remember what happened there, in dramatic detail, as if it happened yesterday. My memory scares people.
Thanks for your input :) Huh, interesting. So do you always need a trigger in order to relive a past memory? Are you not able to recall the details of that memory if asked on the spot?

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
Thanks for your input :) Huh, interesting. So do you always need a trigger in order to relive a past memory? Are you not able to recall the details of that memory if asked on the spot?
Yes, generally I do need a trigger. A smell, a piece of fabric, a fruit... I need something tangible, and it will remind me of the memory and then I will be able to recall the details. Otherwise, it will be just beneath the surface, struggling to come out.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
Yes, generally I do need a trigger. A smell, a piece of fabric, a fruit... I need something tangible, and it will remind me of the memory and then I will be able to recall the details. Otherwise, it will be just beneath the surface, struggling to come out.

Maybe the trigger is what takes the memory away from being purely Si, which in me is a very weak function, and puts it back in a more comfortable Se-Fi place. I'm not totally sure, but that's what I'm thinking right now.

Reactions: Masterpiece

·
Registered
583 Posts
(Glossing over the first part because all that information makes my head spin lol @[email protected])
So are you saying that everyone has the ability to recall odd, random memories like that; but Si users just do so with more ease and -hence- less consciousness?
Yes, and such memories have more vividity I guess :) Yes sorry I hate details too, maybe my shadow influenced me while writing ehehhe.. xd

·
Registered
789 Posts
As someone with a preference for the Ne-Si axis, what you said about Si being 'slow' is completely spot-on for me as well. When I'm presented with an outer stimuli on-the-spot, my first reaction towards it is to kind of just 'numb out' and not take it in. It's only until later that I am able to make sense of that outer stimuli properly, and the longer it lingers in my mind, the more information I'll be able to 'extract' from it (but then again, this may be Ne's doing rather than Si's, so...idk :/ Do you relate to this? xP)
Well, I think it's a bit of an introvert thing in any case - the whole, thinking before you speak idea, and being generally more cautious than extroverts are - but given that you're typed as a Ti-dom, it may well be a Ti thing in that respect. I relate to what you say, but I suppose it depends on what you means by 'making sense of outer stimuli', because Ti would look for a logical reasoning behind something, whereas Si would be looking more to break down all the sensory data into smaller details that it's familiar with. They kind of end up with the same result - something that makes sense to the individual - but it's achieved by a different mechanism. But all introverts I think take a step back from what's going on so they can get a handle on things.

With that in mind, I've noticed Ti doms are very thorough as well, and Ti-Se in particular can often give the impression of Si-Te (and vice versa) for that reason at least. You could still be channelling Si - though I think if it's a very natural thing for you, I'd expect it to come from Ti. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts