Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since function-wise they typically hold no sentimental value to things and people (Si) although I understand emotions are emotions, I was wondering if it's easier for you guys to get over the death of a loved one or a pet.

·
Registered
ISTP
1,203 Posts
"Easier" would require a baseline. I have no clue how easy or hard it is for other people (or what "hard" and "easy" even would mean here).

I will say that I think living in the present helps. For one, you likely made the most of every moment together. And for another, since you aren't looking back, you're less likely to get hung up on it.

No idea how that hypothesis checks out IRL though.

·
Registered
I demand the return of the crazy face! :crazy:
2,072 Posts
I'm not an Se/Ni type, but my understanding is that Ni has its own form of rememberance. The Ni focus is more on the transformation of a person over time. So a type with strong Ni would probably focus more on the lifetime perspective of the deceased instead of specific events or such, but they'd still remember and grieve as a result of that perspective. Not sure how this works in types with strong Se though because then the Ni is relatively repressed/unconscious.

·
Registered
15,181 Posts
Unsure if it’s easier or harder but as an Ne/Si user- I cling onto the memories that I have with my close love ones and as time passes by I started writing down memories that I’ve shared with them in fear of forgetting about them, I cling onto gifts they gave me bc I don’t want to forget. I’m not in pain nor do I suffer any depression from it but I enjoy remembering because this person raised me and brought a lot of value into my life . Whereas I notice Ni/Se users finding that trait perplexing or useless bc the person is already gone .

·
Registered
4 Posts
On this topic, just wondering if it is not normal to not grieve over mother's death. Others I know do, but I don't. All our mothers were old and to me it was just inevitable. But I also have a detached attachment pattern, so maybe that is the difference. Still wonder, is it abnormal.

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
15,017 Posts
Since function-wise they typically hold no sentimental value to things and people (Si) although I understand emotions are emotions, I was wondering if it's easier for you guys to get over the death of a loved one or a pet.
How does one measure this? I think everyone has to come at it from their own POV. I suspect what you may mean is that some people make it "look" like they are having an easier time with it when in fact they may very well be torn up inside and just not predisposed to let it show on the outside. I don't think that's type specific at all.

·
Registered
11,150 Posts
Since function-wise they typically hold no sentimental value to things and people (Si)
oof. where do people get these ideas? not calling you only on this, but it sure demonstrates some of the pitfalls of a purely 'function-wise' view of the world.

[actually, i can't recall at this moment if i'm supposed to be se or si, so idek i've just been shaded by this. but i'm definitely an nj, so i guess i can chip in anyway.]

i've never sidled up to anyone else who was grieving, and asked them to step into the bathroom and drop their emotional pants so we can find out which of us cares 'more' than the other one. never mind asking their type at the same time. but if someone or something i love dies it's bog simple. i miss them. i want them back. i can't have them. it hurts. fuck all that theoretical 'function' garbage.

i'm not a responder to sentiment though; i will give you that. when my dad died it was a little bizarre. you had this little pocket of 3 ntjs, in this big ocean of gushy mushy feelsy 'carers'. and all of them had been awesome to him, past all measurement from the day he'd arrived. i never questioned their sincerity or their goodness; not once. they knew how completely we loved him too. but with all of that said not one of the thigns any of them said to any of us over the several days of his death made the slightest impression on us. it was like small talk to me; it was weird.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts