Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Out of sheer curiousity while reading a good book, watching good movie or even a good tv series do you:
Become very emotional, like you are the main character.
Once feeling like the main character, daydream about 'your' life as the main character
Understand exactly how characters feel and the consequence of any decision despite never being there yourself
Try and figure out how you can use the story in your life which ends up leading to hours of pointless daydreaming

all of the above is true for me, anyone else?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hi,

Out of sheer curiousity while reading a good book, watching good movie or even a good tv series do you:
Once feeling like the main character, daydream about 'your' life as the main character
Understand exactly how characters feel and the consequence of any decision despite never being there yourself
Try and figure out how you can use the story in your life which ends up leading to hours of pointless daydreaming

Yep all of the above, but I usually keep the daydreaming to when I'm falling asleep. That's why I like to watch shows right before bed. I can daydream about it as I'm falling asleep.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep all of the above, but I usually keep the daydreaming to when I'm falling asleep. That's why I like to watch shows right before bed. I can daydream about it as I'm falling asleep.
Or i have the said TV show on my PC and the daydreaming becomes to much to bear so i get up and watch a few more episodes and lose any sense of time. Same with books, I stay up to the early hours of the morning reading quite often

·
Registered
210 Posts
I really don't feel myself as the main character and instead I make up my own character and place him/her into the setting of the book, movie, or tv series I read/saw and daydream about them instead. :happy:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really don't feel myself as the main character and instead I make up my own character and place him/her into the setting of the book, movie, or tv series I read/saw and daydream about them instead. :happy:
That being said you are an INTP, it is interesting though how you make up a character and we become the character

·
Registered
211 Posts
i totally put myself in the shoes of characters on tv or in books. i've felt waves of grief or joy wash over me as the story unfolds. one of the saddest endings to a book i've read was stephen king's "It" and i felt anguish for the characters for several days afterwards.

i even avoid some tv shows or scenes where intense feelings are played out because i don't like how they tug on me lol

Reactions: Mr Jones

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i totally put myself in the shoes of characters on tv or in books. i've felt waves of grief or joy wash over me as the story unfolds. one of the saddest endings to a book i've read was stephen king's "It" and i felt anguish for the characters for several days afterwards.

i even avoid some tv shows or scenes where intense feelings are played out because i don't like how they tug on me lol
Once im 'in' the show i wish i hadnt started watching it because of how it becomes more then just a show. But theres no way you can half watch a series. Once it is finnished there is closure thank god

The TV show that inspired this thread is Chuck by the way. I dont watch soap's, they just go on forever and dont really have any value.

·
Banned
526 Posts
That Avatar movie was the last movie I saw in theaters and I definitely put myself into the character of the male avatar dude.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I do... that one scene in Love Actually where that guy goes up to Keira Knightley's door and holds up the signs, really felt what he was going through in that moment.

And I love Chuck, so you get points there, too :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yep! I'm guilty of that :tongue:

I also tend to get inspired by those stories and think of similar ones in my head but with different situations and sometimes I act it out too... when I'm alone, of course. This also happens with songs.

And I love Chuck. :laughing:

4,757 Posts
I don't daydream about stories but I can get *intensely* attached to a character or a set of characters. I've tried to explain the sensation to my friends and they don't understand how much I can inhabit a character's head and feel along with them.

For instance, the end of The Road (the book) had me sobbing for hours and I felt depressed for days afterwards.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't daydream about stories but I can get *intensely* attached to a character or a set of characters. I've tried to explain the sensation to my friends and they don't understand how much I can inhabit a character's head and feel along with them.

For instance, the end of The Road (the book) had me sobbing for hours and I felt depressed for days afterwards.
yep that is a perfect explanation i get that often. daydream is quite a weak word for the sensation i guess. The Road, is that good?

4,757 Posts
It's extremely well written and honestly one of the most heartbreaking books I've ever read.

4,757 Posts
No problem :happy:

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Hi,

I especially do this with a tv seriers that I really like. For instance a few years back I was really into Alias and I thought Sydney Bristow was so freaking COOL and SMART!! Speaking all those languages, genius IQ, sexy in all her clothes but indifferent to it, kicking ass and then there was the romance between her and her handler and she seemed so "I" to me -- keeping her feelings to herself and he to himself for like 3 whose seasons! torture!! But gooood torture.

So yeah, thoughts of Alias consumed my daily thoughts for months on end while I watched and rewatched the series over and over again. I had countless dreams about the characters and I even began to google the stars to find out what they were REALLY like in real life. It was obsession.

Thank god that's over! But it was fun while it lasted. And it's a good thing that's it's really rare for me to LOVE A movie or tv show so much. It doesn't happen so much with books because they lack the music and visual pictures that help hook me in so much. but Tess Gerritsen's novels kind of have that same effect on me as well. Too bad I've read them all now. Dammit, she needs to get off her lazy ass and write some more!!

Reactions: mintyphoenix

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I especially do this with a tv seriers that I really like. For instance a few years back I was really into Alias and I thought Sydney Bristow was so freaking COOL and SMART!! Speaking all those languages, genius IQ, sexy in all her clothes but indifferent to it, kicking ass and then there was the romance between her and her handler and she seemed so "I" to me -- keeping her feelings to herself and he to himself for like 3 whose seasons! torture!! But gooood torture.

So yeah, thoughts of Alias consumed my daily thoughts for months on end while I watched and rewatched the series over and over again. I had countless dreams about the characters and I even began to google the stars to find out what they were REALLY like in real life. It was obsession.

Thank god that's over! But it was fun while it lasted. And it's a good thing that's it's really rare for me to LOVE A movie or tv show so much. It doesn't happen so much with books because they lack the music and visual pictures that help hook me in so much. but Tess Gerritsen's novels kind of have that same effect on me as well. Too bad I've read them all now. Dammit, she needs to get off her lazy ass and write some more!!
sounds so scary when you put it like that. I love your description 'torture!! But good torture" just because it is so true. I never research the actors it just seems stalkerish cause theyre just acting but man i can understand why you would do it and it doesnt seem so stalkerish. now, this Tess Gerritsen, is she any good? what are her books about? if a story gets you that excited it has to be awesome. i'd know lol

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
sounds so scary when you put it like that. I love your description 'torture!! But good torture" just because it is so true. I never research the actors it just seems stalkerish cause theyre just acting but man i can understand why you would do it and it doesnt seem so stalkerish. now, this Tess Gerritsen, is she any good? what are her books about? if a story gets you that excited it has to be awesome. i'd know lol
haha. It was a bit scary or at least I recognized it as "unhealthy" but I couldn't stop and was a little glad when the series was over and I'd finally had my fill. I tend to take things to extremes.
Ya, googling felt a bit like stalking, but I'm a "friendly" stalker! :) And when I've met celebrities in real life, I leave them alone because I feel sorry for them for constantly being harassed.

Is Tess Gerristen good? Hm...well, I guess that would depend on what books you like to read. She writes medical suspense/thrillers and has another series about serial killers. She has mostly female characters, which I like, and she sets a great mood, great pace (her writing isn't full of hot air but concise wording that evokes mood efficiently and effectivly without making it drawn out).
She must be INFJ.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yup thats definitely me I once in a while dream about a movie with me as a main character. If it is a movie/story I really like i could make a whole story out of it adding myself into the movie as a new character with my own side story. Damit I spend way too much time daydreaming. I also have my own stories I make from manga that I read like Naruto and Bleach where I have my own main story that links in with the actual story.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts