Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I go to some kind of store where I have to interact with a store associate or customer service person, I am usually greeted and helped very warmly. Even if they seem to be having a cranky day and have been treating all the previous customers rudely, when it comes to be my turn, they are MORE than helpful and seem to be very comfortable with me (even if i'm not a regular). I would be surprised to see them responding to my smile because i just figured they were feeling too crappy that day to give a damn. I've also had many times where I was engaged into a conversation although I don't even know the person, in line or by random walking strangers, lol...

I've also had moments where acquaintances and friends would playfully nudge me in a conversation.

And I've been developing a theory... that this has something to do with my introverted intuition.... perhaps it is because when i am in a conversation, i seem to be "not really there. in present." So hence the gentle/playful nudge here and there. probably sensors. who are trying to have me respond with some visual cues?

and with the first set of interactions, i think this also has to do with my introverted intuition... i direct most of my thoughts and needs inward, so perhaps these store associated/ customer service reps sense this and sense that i am not demanding of them. and they feel more comfortable to engage or show their good side to someone they know won't be taxing on them? I'm just curious about this.... my mom, ESFx, seems to have an entirely opposite set of interactions with strangers (usually clashing). same with ISFJs I know. and my dad (INTP?J? most likely INTP) seems to have friendly, but less helpful interactions~ i think this is because he doesn't really seem to know what he wants (P?) so it's hard to help him lol.

Is it because how i carry myself? do you guys relate? and I don't think this applies to all introverted intuitive types, because I've often seen my INTJ friends get ignored or avoided by store associates/waiters... anyway, i sometimes encounter awful customer service, but i've learned not to take it personally. It's them (or their day), not me! for the most part, i found it funny and amusing that of my family/friends, i get the best service/attention even though i probably need it the least (do all my research before going there, so if i do need help, i will be "out of it" but still somewhat forming a plan)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Whenever I go to some kind of store where I have to interact with a store associate or customer service person, I am usually greeted and helped very warmly. Even if they seem to be having a cranky day and have been treating all the previous customers rudely, when it comes to be my turn, they are MORE than helpful and seem to be very comfortable with me (even if i'm not a regular). I would be surprised to see them responding to my smile because i just figured they were feeling too crappy that day to give a damn. I've also had many times where I was engaged into a conversation although I don't even know the person, in line or by random walking strangers, lol...

I've also had moments where acquaintances and friends would playfully nudge me in a conversation.

And I've been developing a theory... that this has something to do with my introverted intuition.... perhaps it is because when i am in a conversation, i seem to be "not really there. in present." So hence the gentle/playful nudge here and there. probably sensors. who are trying to have me respond with some visual cues?

and with the first set of interactions, i think this also has to do with my introverted intuition... i direct most of my thoughts and needs inward, so perhaps these store associated/ customer service reps sense this and sense that i am not demanding of them. and they feel more comfortable to engage or show their good side to someone they know won't be taxing on them? I'm just curious about this.... my mom, ESFx, seems to have an entirely opposite set of interactions with strangers (usually clashing). same with ISFJs I know. and my dad (INTP?J? most likely INTP) seems to have friendly, but less helpful interactions~ i think this is because he doesn't really seem to know what he wants (P?) so it's hard to help him lol.

Is it because how i carry myself? do you guys relate? and I don't think this applies to all introverted intuitive types, because I've often seen my INTJ friends get ignored or avoided by store associates/waiters... anyway, i sometimes encounter awful customer service, but i've learned not to take it personally. It's them (or their day), not me! for the most part, i found it funny and amusing that of my family/friends, i get the best service/attention even though i probably need it the least (do all my research before going there, so if i do need help, i will be "out of it" but still somewhat forming a plan)
It's the same for me, on first impressions, people have a very positive reaction to me.
Your theory is very interesting!
I'm always wondering what I do wrong that the relationship changes, making me feel that i'm too different or weird, then I close my self from them. :sad:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have noticed this as well. I am not engaging, nor am I particularly charming, and definitely not outgoing, but people, even those inclined to be hostile to others, are generally very welcoming. It is as though they let their guards down with me. I have been told repeatedly that I have a very calming effect on people and situations, which always baffles me. I think it may have a bit to do with the fact that I am polite, not demanding, and am generally very accommodating and easy to please. I maintain eye contact, listen attentively (or at least seem to), and respond at the appropriate places.

There is a particular line in a Cat Stevens song that I always think of. It is from Wild World:

"It's hard to get by just upon a smile."

And I always think, not really. A smile, please and thank you seem to get me into and out of most situations. I do seem to glide through life and everyone is generally quite nice and accommodating to me. As Blanche says in Steetcar (though not for the same reasons), "I have always relied on the kindness of strangers.

I have not noticed anyone attempting to nudge me into conversation, however. This could be because I am often oblivious to such things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts