Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if it's common for INFJs to be teased by strangers?

I've noticed this happens to me on at least a weekly basis - grocery store, Starbucks, cafes, etc (basically, anywhere that I frequent with my rather limited set of socializing lol). For example, today morning I went to Starbucks and ordered a tall caramel machiatto. The barista kept teasing me and said he wouldn't make one for me, although he'd make one for other people in line. At first I thought he was serious, and was a bit taken aback and even considered ordering another drink, but then I realized he was just teasing me. This has happened in other instances (even if I'm not a regular and have no previous contact with said stranger), although sometimes I don't realize I'm being teased or being made fun of until later. Have other INFJs commonly experienced this? I'm thinking that there must be something about our countenance that provokes this in other people so was curious to hear about other INFJ's experiences with this

·
Registered
474 Posts
This happens to me too! Especially from waiters, baristas, and customers that I serve.

The ones who do it are, now that I think about it, almost always friendly middle-aged men. I think I tend to inspire a fatherly response in that demographic.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This happens to me too! Especially from waiters, baristas, and customers that I serve.

The ones who do it are, now that I think about it, almost always friendly middle-aged men. I think I tend to inspire a fatherly response in that demographic.
aspera, it's interesting that you call it a "fatherly response" - I don't get teased from people within this demographic, but I have noticed I tend to inspire some kind of fatherly/patronizing response from people in this demographic, both at work and random encounters.

To the crow - usually yes.

·
Banned
2,036 Posts
Men tease. I do it, although I don't see it as teasing, so maybe what I do is different.
I notice women, more than I notice men, and often compliment them, or be a little jokey.
This does not mean I am on the make. It has been a long time since I was :)
I just do it, and I think it's likely that many men do.

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
You are a cutey and they are trying to make conversation with you!! Find a good comeback because you'll find a cute guy teasing you and you'll want to be ready

·
Banned
59 Posts
Oh! Yes! I inspire lots of teasing. I can (usually) give it right back, though. Strangers (annoyingly) seem to find me pretty approachable, but the teasing mostly comes from friends and people I know. I seem to have a reputation for being easy to tease (or so I'm told). I've been told by some they enjoy my (over-) reaction.

The teasing, btw, comes from both sexes, and pretty well all ages.

Reactions: curious0610

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Yes, all the darn time. And as it so happens to be, the majority of people who tease me are also of the male variety.

...and the majority of males who "tease" me say some really obscene things. Bleh.

But once in a while someone would tease me to make me laugh because I generally look too serious. xD

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
You are a cutey and they are trying to make conversation with you!! Find a good comeback because you'll find a cute guy teasing you and you'll want to be ready
Usually when a stranger teases me, i know he's crushing, automatically making
him a cutie. I'm usually ready with a witty cute comeback :)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Usually when a stranger teases me, i know he's crushing, automatically making
him a cutie. I'm usually ready with a witty cute comeback :)
Hahaha maybe this is the difference between INFJs and ENFPs :p I am usually at a loss of what to do once I realize I'm being teased and find a way to smile and exit this awkward scenario

To ohTOMICho, I suspect a great part of the teasing is probably because I look too serious sometimes as well

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Hahaha maybe this is the difference between INFJs and ENFPs :p I am usually at a loss of what to do once I realize I'm being teased and find a way to smile and exit this awkward scenario
heh, not me. I'm usually very willing, able and ready ; )
Of course if he's overbearing or making me somehow
feel awkward, my teasing is biting or sarcastic.

·
Banned
195 Posts
The teasing usually goes over my head... I take people at face value for what they are saying.

I usually understand that they are only teasing in a short period of time, but I am left bewildered by why they would say such things in the first place. And it's the strangers teasing me that I don't understand... why would you tease a total stranger? Especially if you had nothing in common with them?

·
Registered
249 Posts
no. not sure if i get teased but i have had strangers try to joke with me and i just kind of blink and think 'wha...why would u say sumthink like that?' and they'll be like im only kidding, and im like, 'oh'. *awkward* Yeh, my friends think im a bit slow, and when ppl try to joke with me-strangers or not. at times i'm not really sure whether they r kidding or not so i always have a delayed reaction...

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Yep it happens, the person doing it has to hope it's a "decent" day for it though. Sometimes they say looks can kill, well I would be in prison forever if this were true sometimes when I'm having a "bad" day or an "inner" day and don't want to be disturbed really. The best part sometimes (guilty pleasure incoming) is sometimes unintentionally I cause them more grief than I'm feeling when I give them a cold stare like they are more upset about it than I am now. LOL.... I don't know, I don't tease strangers, not everyone has to assimilate. Haha....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts