Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Especially rituals? Pageantry and whatnot, church proceedings, judicial and academic dress, rhythmic meditations, sports superstitions, pledges, rites, singing happy birthday, courtship rituals, getting dressed up for a 'special' occasion, using 3 different forks at dinner...

All these things have no meaning to me, and I get uncomfortable when I'm forced to do something like this.

For anyone who gets these... what does it bring to you? What can you get out of repeating something over and over again?

Or if you are with me and these make no sense to you too, tell me what other sort of ritualistic proceedings just fly right over your head...

·
Banned
263 Posts
@Tunesimah love this thread :happy:

Personally I'm BIG on rituals. I love rituals. Nearly all my life I thought it was ridiculous and meaningless. It's just lately that I discovered that deep down I'm a 'ritual and symbolic' person.

BUT not with things that tell me how to act like 'etiquette' NOOO!. More of singing happy birthdays, getting dressed up for a special occasion, religious rituals...etc. It provides a heartfelt ambiance.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I like the idea of rituals and symbols. I really like it. But I am also always disconnected from others who seems to really dip into crowd and energy in situations like this . . . . I love the energy of crowds, I love to watch them from distance. But I hate to be part of crowd - and you are often part of crowd in rituals . . . And I also like symbols very much but I also dont get them as much as somebody with Ni might. Actually i read somewhere, that symbols are more for Ni when Ne (us) are more predisposed to understand and use of metaphors. And I can tell that this is true, from my experience . . .

Reactions: Nixu and Tunesimah

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,320 Posts
I'm torn on this because I like the idea of rituals and symbols having meaning and connecting people over the ages, but when it comes down to it I tend to see these things purely in a practical sense and usually they seem empty and stupid to me. Perhaps if they were things I'd invented so they had personal meaning I might care about following them, but then again it wouldn't seem a significant without a long past tradition or being commonly recognized....so yeah. It just doesn't really work for me.

I suppose I do have some traditions I like which are tied to memories of childhood....but for the most part I just like doing things however I feel like in the moment. A lot of traditions can seem forced and cheesy, although not always. Sometimes when everyone participating really cares, then you can experience an amazing kind of shared spirit.

·
Premium Member
15,511 Posts
I am HUGE-LY into symbolism. Symbolism in movies, stories, art, pictures, avatars, music... it goes on and on. Hidden symbolism is my fav to sort out.

Rituals? Not too much into them. I like coffee in the morning and one shower a day --to that's about the extent of my rituals.

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
I don't think I have too many rituals other than the simple things like eating with family at dinner table and things of that nature.
But i'm not too hot for such things, I do like some symbols though. For a long time through high school I would play with my name or initials and turn it into something different and it would represent me.
I think that was more just me enjoying playing around with shapes and stuff though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess symbols aren't all bad... When there is meaning behind it. But rituals are what I'm completely not inclined to like.

I don't what people to sing happy birthday to me any more... I want them o sing the first succesful electronic song... Popcorn that'd be fun I think.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I know that you mean about all the other rituals/symbols that you listed (Pageantry and whatnot, church proceedings, judicial and academic dress, rhythmic meditations, sports superstitions, pledges, rites, courtship rituals, getting dressed up for a 'special' occasion, using 3 different forks at dinner) being stifling. Whenever things are done over and over just because "its the way we always do it" it can loose its meaning and can make one feel inauthentic participating in it. Thats why its important to be creative and an active participant in the rituals (if you practice any).

I really like singing happy birthday to someone. I like to have the chance to tell them that I'm happy that they're alive and that they have lived another year. That they are worthy of being sung to. That I hope that they can take the time to appreciate themselves and appreciate that others are happy that they exist too. Its also a nostalgic throwback to childhood and reliving and recreating those few glimmers of happiness that people genuinely love and care for you.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Like @OrangeSoda said, if something is done purely because it's always been done, it often loses the meaning. I agree with others about not being too interested if I don't feel the importance of the ritual, but in general I am very accepting towards them.

Symbols and symbolism...it's shocking I don't have any other books about symbolism than a tiny book of dream symbolism. I could lose my life in symbolism. The more mysterious, the more interesting!

·
Grand Inquisitor
8,118 Posts
I remember taking a personality test and I think "Sense of tradition" or something like that was near the top. I definitely like traditional ways of doing things, and I'm heavily interested in history. I'm Catholic, and the tradition of the church also greatly attracts me.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Sometimes symbolism can feel very powerful when I pick up on it, like something subtle in a movie. Rituals, generally no. For me, too often it reminds me of "groupthink" lemmings & conformity socialization. Frat boys, jocks, "good ol' boys", etc. One exception is the rituals of the Catholic Church. I know the purpose behind those rituals so they mean a lot to me, even though some of my beliefs have recently shifted back to the Protestant faith.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would NOT describe myself as traditional, but sometimes I find them to be interesting. I don't like participating with my family in church or any things christian (due to my own prejudice) but I enjoy studying things like buddhism and hinduism...if I were to participate in a ritual, I would be more concerned about my own inauthenticity about it offending the other participants!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have always been interested in rituals and I'm very much into symbols, but no one tradition really spoke to me- in fact the idea of limiting myself to one set of symbols and being told what rituals are important and good in general repels me- but in the absence of external rituals in my life I found I developed my own. From little things like preparing my yerba mate gourd to caring for my bonsai tree and my yoga practice; and when I (recently) became a Reiki practitioner, which pretty much necessitates a small amount of ritual, my experiences with yoga and meditation gave me all the material I needed for my 'tuning-in' method (ritual) when preparing to practice Reiki. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts