Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say you first started with studying the MBTI letters/dichotomies...then you studied about the cognitive functions afterwards....Do you think they would correlate?

Do your letters correlate with your function-stack?

·
Registered
648 Posts
i'm confused about the question are you asking our opinion if the letters match up with the functions?

I don't think INFJ matching up with Ni - Fe is really an opinion, it's more of that's what it is regardless of opinion..

I might be interpreting your post wrong though

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm confused about the question are you asking our opinion if the letters match up with the functions?

I don't think INFJ matching up with Ni - Fe is really an opinion, it's more of that's what it is regardless of opinion..

I might be interpreting your post wrong though
You interpreted it correctly.

I just thought the letters might be a very simplified version of the functions for example and so when you study the letters first, you could be mistyped. Does that make sense?

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I kinda dig the idea of the dichotomy being broken down into each little section, like, for INFJ, you'd get..

IN, IF, IJ, NF, NJ, INF, INJ, NFJ, IFJ etc.

So then you can see it's like, introverted intuitive. Introverted feeler. Intuitiver feeler. Intuitive judger. Etc etc.

This method provides far more possibilities to explore, with regards to general IN features, general IF features etc, and I bet if you worked on it, you'd find people agreeing - you'd get INFJs and INFPs agreeing with how they see themselves as similar, in IN, IF, NF and INF for instance.

I believe Jungs original theory, was that the first two functions were the same direction, i.e Ni-Fi in an INFJ, rather than Ni-Fe.
This makes a tonne of sense to me. There's no real evidence to support the tertiary function being the same direction as the dominant function either, so there's nothing to say it's not Ni-Fi-Ti-Se for instance.

Which seems to be perfectly INFJ to me, lol.

The dichotomy doesn't really line up for introverts, because of the P/J thing.
You get perceivers leading with a dominant judging function, for instance, and judgers have a dominant introverter perceiving function.

I mean it's a contradiction, really, we see ourselves as matching the dichotomy - judgers - then we see ourselves matching the cognitive functions.. dominant perceiver.. but we pass it off as if, because we have Fe auxiliary, so now we can just magically be both a perceiver AND a judger.
It's just horseshit. Too easy to relate too. Too much room for people to just agree with everything and fit themselves into whatever box they want.

So eh. Who knows. Kinda spewing out some shit right here quickly as possible before I gotta go up the shops.
That's my 1p. Not really worth 2p.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I kinda dig the idea of the dichotomy being broken down into each little section, like, for INFJ, you'd get..

IN, IF, IJ, NF, NJ, INF, INJ, NFJ, IFJ etc.

So then you can see it's like, introverted intuitive. Introverted feeler. Intuitiver feeler. Intuitive judger. Etc etc.

This method provides far more possibilities to explore, with regards to general IN features, general IF features etc, and I bet if you worked on it, you'd find people agreeing - you'd get INFJs and INFPs agreeing with how they see themselves as similar, in IN, IF, NF and INF for instance.

I believe Jungs original theory, was that the first two functions were the same direction, i.e Ni-Fi in an INFJ, rather than Ni-Fe.
This makes a tonne of sense to me. There's no real evidence to support the tertiary function being the same direction as the dominant function either, so there's nothing to say it's not Ni-Fi-Ti-Se for instance.

Which seems to be perfectly INFJ to me, lol.

The dichotomy doesn't really line up for introverts, because of the P/J thing.
You get perceivers leading with a dominant judging function, for instance, and judgers have a dominant introverter perceiving function.

I mean it's a contradiction, really, we see ourselves as matching the dichotomy - judgers - then we see ourselves matching the cognitive functions.. dominant perceiver.. but we pass it off as if, because we have Fe auxiliary, so now we can just magically be both a perceiver AND a judger.
It's just horseshit. Too easy to relate too. Too much room for people to just agree with everything and fit themselves into whatever box they want.

So eh. Who knows. Kinda spewing out some shit right here quickly as possible before I gotta go up the shops.
That's my 1p. Not really worth 2p.
if Jung's original theory turned out to be proven correct I kinda wouldn't be surprised because I see so many people use their 6th functions a lot

like I feel like my Fi is just as displayed as my Fe is, which made me confuse my type for so long.. my girlfriend who is definitely ISFP uses a lot of Si for someone who doesn't "value" it.. my ENFP sister shows just as much Fe as Fi.. my INTP dad does a lot of Ni type predictions.. so I honestly feel like you're on to something with this one

·
Registered
ISFP
3,109 Posts
if Jung's original theory turned out to be proven correct I kinda wouldn't be surprised because I see so many people use their 6th functions a lot

like I feel like my Fi is just as displayed as my Fe is, which made me confuse my type for so long.. my girlfriend who is definitely ISFP uses a lot of Si for someone who doesn't "value" it.. my ENFP sister shows just as much Fe as Fi.. my INTP dad does a lot of Ni type predictions.. so I honestly feel like you're on to something with this one
That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
648 Posts

That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.
very Ti statement lol

i'm not claiming that it's correct [I'm not comfortable judging logic (low Ti) ] i'm just saying it aligns with what I see in people around me, if it's wrong then its wrong.. it was Jung's theory so it may be something to consider. Also in all these people i'm not saying their demonstrative functions are more prevalent than their auxiliary, but I am saying it is a lot more noticeable than I would think with it being a shadow function. just my personal insight

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

what is an INFP's 6th function?

·
Registered
648 Posts
so if someone study the letters and comes up with I-N-T-J for instance, you sure bet if they go cognitive functions, they would relate to Ni?
if they are truly I-N-T-J then yes but someone could easily say they relate to I N T J but actually be an INTP Ti-Ne and be on the fence with J & P

one letter makes a big difference, the only letter that doesn't make the biggest difference if changed is I & E -- J & P makes the biggest difference because then every function changes

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
The so-called shadow functions weren't part of Jung's theory. Jung thought someone with a type — and he didn't think everybody had a type — had four functions. (Dom/aux/tert/inf.)

·
Registered
92 Posts
A friend of mine suggested that (as spaceynyc said) people use their "6th function" a lot. She said more than their 5th. Makes sense to me somehow.

In my current opinion, an INFJ would relate to all NF function descriptions: Ni and Fe obviously but also Fi (being an introvert) and Ne least of the four since it's opposite to the dominant: neither introverted nor J.
(This is also how I see myself as an INTP @ Te, the NT function I relate to least.)

As though INFJ had a preference for introverted functions, NF functions and J-type functions.

·
Banned
3,620 Posts
No, tbh if it weren't for functions I'd type most ENxJs as ESxJs, ISxPs as INxPs, ESTPs as intuitives and IxTJs more often than not are almost identical. Then you got the J and P stuff.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Do they correlate? Of course, especially depending on how you define the functions. Are they the same thing? No way. And someone can be a different function type than letter type.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts