Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do types with very low Fi know what they want? How do they derive meaning? What do they base their values on?
I read the notion of an android like Data or a species of aliens like the Vulcans make absolutely no sense from a psychological point of view since everyone wants something and is driven by desires and wishes and needs, so how does that reflect in a low F?

EDIT: I forgot the common term which is also an option: alexithymia.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
this could be an issue with low feeling in general
but yeah, not always being AWARE of how feeling values (of themselves or those of others) are impacting, directing, narrowing down, even guarding (?) their thinking. Want could rise from sensation or maybe even intuition but it would be fueled by the feeling function (how this plays out depends on how greatly the feeling function is being neglected). Meaning can be interpreted through thinking to some extent but I am not sure if it can be derived through other than feeling in the sense that you probably mean. Their value system can be a combination of well-thought out principles and some feeling influence thrown in there for flavor.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The question is justified and interesting but it's not F which has anything to do with wants/wishes :) For proof, my type has low enough F to validate that.

I can't tell about other perceptions and how they play role in the question at hands but I can say from my own experiences, Si has a lot to do with that - it's a sense of self, which among other features, gives me clear personal preferences about what I want / what I prefer (also what not), in most cases not even by experiencing the situation directly :) This preference doesn't base on judgements, also it doesn't depend on emotional state, feelings and values/ethics.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Though, I left second part of the question (how well they know what they feel) without answer - fixing it right now :)

This is a bit trickier - inside inner world, there are feelings of course (we're all still humans) but to me, it looks like feelings of others and yourself have less impact on decision making style than for strong F types. In "worse" cases I wouldn't mind to even override them. Also maybe not so good skills to display them - talking from my own viewpoint, can't generalize for others - for example, my partner has said it's often not clear for her what's my current emotional state and if I have some trouble/worry, also I'm prob not the best in expressing emotions and feelings to her directly - which may be also related to culture specifics though. Which is okay as I use other means to display them - more like via (f)acts :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have low Fi, strong Fe.
When people ask me "What do you want?" I kinda answer "To just make my clients and people I serve happy" and I really mean that. It brings me great joy when I can make others happy with my particular set of skills.
Then they ask "but what makes YOU happy, excluding making others happy?" Then I have to think REALLY HARD!
And I have to go away and ponder and reflect. And I feel almost selfish.
I dunno! Fly a drone? Make a game? Paint cool picture? Playing with Linux and RPi's? But seriously... making other happy and fulfilled makes me more happy.

And I really HATE that my joy is so tied to others happiness. It makes my emotions less stable but quite focused and good at my job. If I upset someone, it could ruin my day. I hate it so much.
I try turning it off. Shutting it down. Suppress it. But maybe I just need to heed my own feelings more.
(Btw, that time enjoyed flying a drone, I was with a nice client. We connected and stuff. So not quite the activity itself still.)

Low Fi coupled with NiTi means I chase after ideals and the expense of my comforts. Low Fi makes me stoic for a time, and if I take it too far, there's a rebound effect where I overcompensate satisfying my Fi.

Mark Manson's been helpful for me. He says:
1. have something worth caring about that's greater than caring what others think.
2. you have (good) intentions, actions and outcomes. If you upset others, you're not bad, you have good intentions. You just need to alter your actions and learn. separate intention from action.
etc etc...

lots of things I need to remind myself in order to suppress my strong Fe and a nurture my weak Fi and bring balance to the F.

·
Boaz & Jachin
ENTJ · LIE · VLFE 8w7 · 837 · Sx/Sp
15,055 Posts
Do types with very low Fi have difficulties knowing what they feel and want?
Yes and no.

People with low Fi types tend to have limited access to what they feel and want.
What this results in is someone who tends to overly identify with things that they are aware of; which can make them chase after things to only realise that this thing they chased after was something they didn't actually want.

Mid-Life Crises tend to be more common in lower Fi people. Mid-Life as in people who are in their 30s-40s.
People with higher Fi tend to have Early-Life Crises, but once they've gone through that struggle they tend to chase after things without much regret or doubt.
Whereas, people with lower Fi will chase after things early on in life, only to regret and doubt when they get older.

People who enter MBTI and are aware that they are lower in Fi may end up not experiencing this Mid-Life Crisis if they choose to do something about it.
However, for the mast majority of lower Fi people who are not aware they lack Fi will experience this.

·
Registered
INTJ
529 Posts
How do types with very low Fi know what they want? How do they derive meaning? What do they base their values on?
I read the notion of an android like Data or a species of aliens like the Vulcans make absolutely no sense from a psychological point of view since everyone wants something and is driven by desires and wishes and needs, so how does that reflect in a low F?

Good question. I guess if you have low or nonexistent Fi then you live a meaningless life. I can't imagine any other type deriving meaning out of life in any way.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
No problems at all, knowing what I'm feeling or what I want. This doesn't mean that actions will be taken premised on them which is likely why feelers can have problems understanding thinkers.

p.s. Data's adorable since he leaks emotions like crazy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good question. I guess if you have low or nonexistent Fi then you live a meaningless life. I can't imagine any other type deriving meaning out of life in any way.
That's a huge philosophical question. tl;dr 99% of people are really just hosts of ideas which they believe to be their own. They may feel all the right feelings associated with their lives but their lives are as meaningful as being stuck in a loop which repeats the same day over and over.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
19,661 Posts

I don't know about anyone else, but I fall into this category. I have a hard time with my feelings (I had to look up alexithymia).

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
That's a huge philosophical question. tl;dr 99% of people are really just hosts of ideas which they believe to be their own. They may feel all the right feelings associated with their lives but their lives are as meaningful as being stuck in a loop which repeats the same day over and over.
This judgment presumes that 'meaning to life' and needing this meaning, are universal concepts. They're not.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Well no one would have nonexistent feeling so this is kinda pointless

·
Registered
INTJ
529 Posts
No but didn't you read? If you have Fi that means you can derive meaning and know what you want in life. Jung writes about it in Psychological Types he says "This type produces a peculiar effect where the individual knows what she likes."

·
Registered
INTJ
529 Posts
What if I told you, hear me out here because this is an absolutely groundbreaking concept, every single person goes through life differently and the experiences we have, the people we meet, and the genetics we were born with shape our view of meaning in this world. There are a million different combinations that can shape our understanding of what is important.

·
Registered
Retired
7,007 Posts
My husband (who's likely an introverted thinking dominant) spends a lot of time not being aware of any major emotion; his emotional state is generally reactive to the situation and very straightforward: feeling frustrated when he can't solve a problem, happy and proud when he does.
When it comes to personal valuations, he knows what films, songs, books, etc. he likes, but would never be able to rank them based on best to worst. His tastes are based on what makes sense and what doesn't. He likes songs if they have lyrics that makes sense or compositions that follow music theory well, films with plots that make sense, and books with compelling ideas presented in a logical manner.
Words and sentences that are subjective in nature hold little meaning for him.
With food, it's the most difficult. He has about 2 or 3 favorite foods, and knows he doesn't like vegetables. Other than that, ranking foods based on what's better than what is near impossible for him; he's usually quite content with what you put before him.

·
Registered
INTJ
529 Posts
My husband (who's likely an introverted thinking dominant) spends a lot of time not being aware of any major emotion; his emotional state is generally reactive to the situation and very straightforward: feeling frustrated when he can't solve a problem, happy and proud when he does.
When it comes to personal valuations, he knows what films, songs, books, etc. he likes, but would never be able to rank them based on best to worst. His tastes are based on what makes sense and what doesn't. He likes songs if they have lyrics that makes sense or compositions that follow music theory well, films with plots that make sense, and books with compelling ideas presented in a logical manner.
Words and sentences that are subjective in nature hold little meaning for him.
With food, it's the most difficult. He has about 2 or 3 favorite foods, and knows he doesn't like vegetables. Other than that, ranking foods based on what's better than what is near impossible for him; he's usually quite content with what you put before him.
You are describing Te.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts