Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started to wonder this. My entire life I was the assistant and expected to fix everything but never considered in charge. I was always Held to a ridiculously high standard. Everyone thinks of perfect so any slight mistake is treated like the worst possible crime. I live up to that as I am very methodical, and calculated. However it seems my purpose is to serve others to my own detriment. I realized I have no choice. Now I was trying to get a promotion at work recently. Was told I was the perfect candidate, all my evaluations were perfect. Yet they said they wouldn't pick me. They said they wanted to develop a candidate with less skills and potential and that I was already skilled enough. Along with that I was still expected to do extra but was punished later for even considering to ask for a promotion in the first place and later moved to a different team. I think some people are meant to succeed but some of us are just servants.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
You have learned a life’s lesson. Being really good at your job can be detrimental to career progression. You are making your boss look good and they are not going to want to give you up. A quality supervisor would recognize your talent and help you move up. That helps you and your employer. Right now you are being used to get the job done, too important to lose and, perhaps in his/her yes, not worthy of promotion.

Pack up your talent and look elsewhere. You owe these people nothing.

Another option is get to know someone over your bosses level. That’s where you manage or manipulate your future.

Good luck.

·
Registered
INFP 9w1
788 Posts
Some things in life we can't escape. We have to eat, breathe, sleep, feel emotions...
living up to ridiculously high standards, letting others treat you like a doormat and letting others use you is definately a choice though. Maybe this situation could be a wake up call for you. :)
Try to find strength and power out of what happened to you. Try to not let it bring you down. It's okay to cry a day, it's okay to hate the world and yourself for a day. But then it's also time to snap out of it again.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
So I started to wonder this. My entire life I was the assistant and expected to fix everything but never considered in charge. I was always Held to a ridiculously high standard. Everyone thinks of perfect so any slight mistake is treated like the worst possible crime. I live up to that as I am very methodical, and calculated. However it seems my purpose is to serve others to my own detriment. I realized I have no choice. Now I was trying to get a promotion at work recently. Was told I was the perfect candidate, all my evaluations were perfect. Yet they said they wouldn't pick me. They said they wanted to develop a candidate with less skills and potential and that I was already skilled enough. Along with that I was still expected to do extra but was punished later for even considering to ask for a promotion in the first place and later moved to a different team. I think some people are meant to succeed but some of us are just servants.
Not trying to be mean. But based on some of your other threads, I suspect you have some serious weaknesses on the social side of things. Almost all jobs, even very technical ones, tend to have a pretty serious requirement for dealing with people. And the higher you go, the more those people skills tend to matter.

Obviously I don't know you or the whole context of your situation, so I could be wrong. But you should seriously consider looking into that side of your qualifications, and taking active steps to try to improve those types of skills if that's what is holding you back.

·
Registered
120 Posts
We don't know enough about you. Your last line is misguided. Neither do I believe you should stop being great at your job, or some social fault should be the focus... If you're not getting your just rewards from work, the leadership fails. You'll walk, and they lose a valuable member of their team. A person who worked for himself wouldn't have any such issues... so then the answer to your question is a resounding no from me, we are free. Good luck with things.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts