·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Emotionally - yes
Logically - hell no

·
Registered
409 Posts
I find it hard as well. I currently have convinced myself that I am the smartest human in the world. Logically I see fault in this statement, but it's too hard to let go of the belief. Plus I'm a narcissist so it goes hand in hand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How would you know someone's smarter than you?

Because they score higher on a test?
Because they learn things faster?
Because they do better in school?

There's lots of different kinds of intelligence and it's hard to measure.

My only problem would come from someone trying to act smarter than me (or just smart in general) based on something I don't consider important. Like the kid who works really hard in school,gets good grades, studies for hours and sucks up to every teacher...then tries to pass this off as intelligence.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Well, seeing as the large amount of things I've done in my life have been incredibly stupid, I have no precedence to stand upon; however, when people think you to be stupid they tend to underestimate you, making it easier to impress, and most importantly, easier to surprise as well as conceal what you're really up to.

A man's got his pride, but I won't put it with my intelligence.

Disregard above as far as a professional setting goes though.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My only problem would come from someone trying to act smarter than me (or just smart in general) based on something I don't consider important. Like the kid who works really hard in school,gets good grades, studies for hours and sucks up to every teacher...then tries to pass this off as intelligence.
Oh god yes to this. I feel a strong urge that I have to consciously suppress when I see this demonstrated. Don't hate me for it, fellow intps or fantasy lovers, but this is the one thing that ruined resonance fairs for me. I find the people working the fair mostly distasteful now. I used to work with people that did side work at the fairs, and all they did was try to show wit. They tried to act smarter than each other and anyone around them. They were single, and they ran off girls they liked because they could not stop this behavior. What dumbasses I thought.

I showed them as stupid whenever possible. It was usually whenever we spoke and very easy to do. One time they challenged me to a foam sword fight, and I beat the shit out of this guy with his own foam sword. Oh boy I enjoyed that.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Well, seeing as the large amount of things I've done in my life have been incredibly stupid, I have no precedence to stand upon; however, when people think you to be stupid they tend to underestimate you, making it easier to impress, and most importantly, easier to surprise as well as conceal what you're really up to.

A man's got his pride, but I won't put it with my intelligence.

Disregard above as far as a professional setting goes though.
My grandfather was the top guy at the unemployment office in my city. A powerful job back when $20-30 an hr union jobs were more common. After he passed away, my grandmother told me that he was the smartest person she ever met. She then said that he also was successful because he also knew how to play dumb better than anyone she ever met. I believe, in a professional environment, that if you can make the guys above seem smarter than they are - you are going places. Personally it's made me alot of money and gotten me better positions.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ive never needed to say any1 is smarter than me because no one proved that he/she is... I see there are a lots of people that know a lot about history, geography etc. But i don't find knowing facts as being intelligent. I gotta say my ENTP friend has a better vocabulary (although mine is great) and that he never mumbles when he speaks like I do. But I've talked to him about some philosophycal themes and he seems to only digest what he has read, putting nothing out of himself to contribute to the idea. While I just read something and think about it a lot, and form my own opinion. So I don't think he is smarter then me.

Another thing are the school grades. I have never been an A+ student in my highschool. But everytime I go and study for some test, I get an A for a 2-hour work, while most of the class get C or B for 5+hour work.

And I can't say any1 in my class can understand math easier than I do... I often find correlations and form my own equation before the teacher even writes it on a school board.
Only person I know that could have my intellectual power, or above, is my best friend from primary school, who is also an INTP.

I think its pretty objective rly. I was never amazed by someones intellect (exept my INTP friend), and I never call myself a genius, but other people from time to time do...
I hope I will be surrounded by a lot smarter people in collage than I am right now in highschool.

And I definetly wouldn't put myself in some freakish 200IQ mark or anything like it.
After all, Im being objective.

Edit: 'I never needed to say any1 is smarter then me, because I've never met any1' Changed to: 'Ive never needed to say any1 is smarter than me because no one proved that he/she is'

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh god yes to this. I feel a strong urge that I have to consciously suppress when I see this demonstrated. Don't hate me for it, fellow intps or fantasy lovers, but this is the one thing that ruined resonance fairs for me. I find the people working the fair mostly distasteful now. I used to work with people that did side work at the fairs, and all they did was try to show wit. The tried to act smarter than each other and anyone around them. They were single, and they ran off girls they liked because they could not stop this behavior. What dumbasses I thought.

I showed them as stupid whenever possible. It was usually whenever we spoke and very easy to do. One time they challenged me to a foam sword fight, and I beat the shit out of this guy with his own foam sword. Oh boy I enjoyed that.
For me it's mainly the people who try to define their own intelligence by things like where they went to college, what degree they have, what major they chose, their grades, their job and on and on. I know people who will automatically write you off as unintelligent if you choose a certain major. Which is just absolute bs.

---

I can't think of any people I'd say are more intelligent than me, but if someone could prove they were I'd have no problem admitting it. It doesn't really matter, it's not like the smartest person always wins in our society anyway. It's not a contest and the people who go the furthest to prove how smart they are usually aren't very smart at all. I'm confident that I'm very intelligent which is more important than anything since I'll never be one to NOT try something due to fear of not being smart enough.

·
Registered
785 Posts
For me it's mainly the people who try to define their own intelligence by things like where they went to college, what degree they have, what major they chose, their grades, their job and on and on. I know people who will automatically write you off as unintelligent if you choose a certain major. Which is just absolute bs.

I can't think of any people I'd say are more intelligent than me, but if someone could prove they were I'd have no problem admitting it. It doesn't really matter, it's not like the smartest person always wins in our society anyway. It's not a contest and the people who go the furthest to prove how smart they are usually aren't very smart at all. I'm confident that I'm very intelligent which is more important than anything since I'll never be one to NOT try something due to fear of not being smart enough.
I agree with you 100% on both subjects!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I agree. Did you like my sword story? :crazy: I would recommend in your example to wad up their degree if possible and throw it at them aiming for the head. I believe you may find the experience rewarding. If that is not physically possible, then I like to make up condescending names and minimize everything they say. It would sound something like, 'Wow that's great Skippy.' I throw in a huge grin for the punctuation mark/signature. = Guaranteed party at others expense. Maybe afterwords ask them, 'Am I smart enough yet?'

Sorry I'm tired and on a roll of making myself laugh atm. I will stop.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I can admit that people are smarter than me. And in fact I know many people, who are. It is pretty painful though. Intelligence is something I value above all else and I do take pride in my mental capacity. Therefore, when I'm faced with someone, who crushes me intellectually, I feel pretty much beaten up. I feel that admitting one's intellectual superiority is a bit like admitting my own failure.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yeah, but in the end, it's not worth stressing about :) We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and the only way to be happy is to accept them. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Maybe I'm arrogant. But the smartest person I know still loses to me at poker every time. I can still take 2 starcraft games from him if we play best 3 out of 5. And he can't beat me at go, ever. I will never be able to ace on econometrics exam, probably because it bores the hell out of me, but I can kick this guys ass in a debate any day, especially in front of an audience seeing as I can pander to them and don't get stage fright. I agree with everyone about different intelligence and skill sets. Not to mention a lot of times I'm just downright lucky.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts