Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy just posted this on Facebook.
"It has often been said that a person has 3 personalities: the one they really are, the one they display, and the one they wish to be; if all three are the same type, the person is typologically integrated, which is rare..."

Opinions?

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
Do we have 12547819257815781951 personalities?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Facebook, much like the library of Athens in its glory days, is a fount of knowledge and insight. Where else would such treasures as this?

XD Not saying your friend may not have a point, but using Facebook as a cited source kind of undermines the material. :p

·
Registered
714 Posts
A buddy just posted this on Facebook.
"It has often been said that a person has 3 personalities: the one they really are, the one they display, and the one they wish to be; if all three are the same type, the person is typologically integrated, which is rare..."

Opinions?
Actually we have multiple not just three. We identify ourselves by our sex, race, and age no? Then there are other categories like student, teacher, mother, father, punk, emo, nerd, etc. We all have them and we act differently toward different people.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Facebook, much like the library of Athens in its glory days, is a fount of knowledge and insight. Where else would such treasures as this?

XD Not saying your friend may not have a point, but using Facebook as a cited source kind of undermines the material. :p
The guy I was quoting has a PhD but I guess since he was posting on Facebook his thoughts mean nothing?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The guy I was quoting has a PhD but I guess since he was posting on Facebook his thoughts mean nothing?
o_O I sense a delicate subject. Wow. You do realize people who post rat genitalia pictures in seriousness outside of a biology field generally aren't the kind of people you want to encourage in conversation.

I thought it was funny that you mentioned facebook at all....so I made light of it.

EDIT: -insert obligatory and heavily sarcastic fact about myself that you didn't know prior and use it against you to imply your ignorance about said fact that you couldn't in any way have known-

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
o_O I sense a delicate subject. Wow. You do realize people who post rat genitalia pictures in seriousness outside of a biology field generally aren't the kind of people you want to encourage in conversation.

I thought it was funny that you mentioned facebook at all....so I made light of it.

EDIT: -insert obligatory and heavily sarcastic fact about myself that you didn't know prior and use it against you to imply your ignorance about said fact that you couldn't in any way have known-
Huh? I am not sure how to answer your post. I just wanted answers from others to help direct my own research. I suppose I don't do well with sarcasm which is my flaw.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Huh? I am not sure how to answer your post. I just wanted answers from others to help direct my own research. I suppose I don't do well with sarcasm which is my flaw.
Your response seemed to be dripping it in...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your response seemed to be dripping it in....
I know. I can dish it out but can't take it. My flaw and I am working on it. My apologies.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
It's cool, man. I just thought it was funny that you felt the need to mention facebook at all, when 90% of the imagery it draws up is farmville, duckface, and passive-aggressive status updates. :) I don't have anything against your friend or his opinions.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I think of Facebook I think of all the private study groups I belong to. I wonder why we associate it with different things?

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts

lol thank you.

You said he was your friend FFs. When you said "buddy" I just took it to mean that he was someone you actually associate with.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol thank you.

You said he was your friend FFs. When you said "buddy" I just took it to mean that he was someone you actually associate with.
We drink coffee together and go to Lodge together, but why would anything but the idea matter? I posted the Facebook reference because I thought it was a good thought and didn't want to take credit for an idea that wasn't mine. Why would a good idea matter if its from a PhD I personally know, a 12 year old homeless kid or a serial killer? An idea is an idea?

I like the idea of three personalities. I see us as having a feeling, intellect and will and the union of those on a single purpose is a beautiful thing. So the idea of three personalities to me is fun to think about.

Every forum has its own rhythm and feel and this one is odd. :shocked:

Reactions: Nickel

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've heard of this. Everyone says I'm an INTP, so clearly this is the one I show to the world. Is it the type I really am? Does it matter? How do you tell the difference between the type you really are and the one you appear to be?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
When I think of Facebook I think of all the private study groups I belong to. I wonder why we associate it with different things?
My personal facebook account is my family and friends and mostly has pictures of the newest baby, baby things, or inspirational quotes on my feed....occasionally nerdy video game or tv show stuff. :p

Funny Facebook Status Messages and Facebook Fails has the best and worst that facebook has to offer in its dark and twisted pages.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,602 Posts
This is reminiscent of the Super ego, the Ego and the Id. For a man almost disembowelled to the stage that the mere mention of his name brings about ideas of people screwing their mums and playing with their own poo he sure does have some sway in there still.

As to the question itself I really wouldn't know about 3 actually being the number. For myself I know I had more than 3 voices all talking at once there at one stage. I aged and integrated redundant members of the board and left them without much say. I've tied up the loony left and they are heavily medicated and straight-jacketed. The leader of the pack (an ex circus clown with a touch of cynicism) wouldn't have even been my first choice.

The theories of thought and personalities don't usually go with each other too well regardless of how well they work. If cognitive processes are Ni Te Fi Se then that will explain the preference of ordering information rather than taking anything to do with how I see myself, how I want others to see me, and how I really am.

Like you, I also have relatively decent FB friends....the others get the chop.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
For myself I know I had more than 3 voices all talking at once there at one stage. I aged and integrated redundant members of the board and left them without much say. I've tied up the loony left and they are heavily medicated and straight-jacketed. The leader of the pack (an ex circus clown with a touch of cynicism) wouldn't have even been my first choice.
Sheila, is that you? I didn't know that bethdeth let you out to play...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts