Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allow me to quote from www.intp.com/intprofile.html
"INTPs are usually fascinated by music and may have deep and wide-ranging tastes. Indeed, each of their three main functions (Ti, Ne, Si) plays a role in the enjoyment of music, and indeed music is a key interest for bringing out the feeling shadow of the INTP. Si itself brings a fascination for mood and atmosphere in music as well as for a strong sense of personal nostalgia. INTPs are therefore often keen on melancolic minor-key music in which an introspective and/or esoteric mood is conveyed."

Albeit it does say we have a wide ranging taste in music, it does however go on to claim that we might have proclivity towards melancholic music. Do you agree?

I myself find this to be somewhat true, as I do find that I more often than not enjoy music with dark or melancholic themes, for instance some of Mozart, Beethovens and Samuel Barber work, but also alot of different modern music with darker themes, like Tool and A Perfect Circle.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Man I know I sure do. Nothing drains me more than up-beat music. I hate it. Melancholy (see Swallow the Sun - Plague of the Butterflies) is my favorite but anger is my second fav probably. Tool and perfect circle are some of my favorites too. Mozart is mostly too upbeat. I like Chopin and Tchaikovsky and the like.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Honestly, I like upbeat music - however, I'm inclined to believe this is temporary as I did go through a time where anything long and fast paced just got skipped. My attention span isn't good - I have to already have some sort of interest in said song (if it's quite slow and whatnot) if I'm to even go in for a minute.

·
Registered
181 Posts
More or less 100% true in my case.

In my opinion some of the most depressing music ever. Also one of my favourite bands.

What makes it powerful to me is that it's kind of awkwardly fragile, yet heavy, but understated at the same time - it's not a passionate declaration of felings. It's muted, gray, almost dull, but somehow beautiful and tragic too. This is what I feel when I feel depressed. It is hideously beautiful and beautifully hideous. Fuck i'm drunk.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Since everyone is posting videos anyway, my rwo favorite songs currently (both very melancholic):

(not usually into country stuff, but when my first reaction is "I can feel!" then it's probably a song I'm going to like, and Desperado just sounds like me from 2 months ago)

·
Registered
817 Posts
"Dark," sad, moody, melancholic music is the most beautiful thing in the world. I tried to explain this all the time to family and friends since I was a toddler. I didn't want the happy major key music other kids listened to. I wanted to hear all minor key songs with an atmosphere capable of luring my imagination into all these dismaying depressing feelings. Since then, I've grown to love a lot of upbeat music but I hold dear to me those kind of gloomy pieces.

I'm sure I'll be favoriting a lot of tracks once I listen to the ones posted here. To follow the trend, here are two of my absolute favorites:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't mind a lot of upbeat music, but since we're on this road, I do love some audioslave every now and again. Though I don't know if Show Me How to Live is considered melancholy.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
INTPs are therefore often keen on melancolic minor-key music in which an introspective and/or esoteric mood is conveyed.
I totally relate to this. I've noticed that with major-key songs I like, my favorite parts are often the minor chords in the song.

one thing I've noticed is that many INTPs enjoy metal music, but I do not. it just seems oppressive and dark in an unpleasant way to me. my type of melancholy is quieter.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I am definitely in the melancholy/moody/ introspective corner. My favourite artists are Enigma, Secret Garden, Dead can Dance, Moby and the more heavy/sensitive song from Robbie Williams.

·
Registered
35 Posts
More or less 100% true in my case.

YouTube - codeine "loss leader"

In my opinion some of the most depressing music ever. Also one of my favourite bands.

What makes it powerful to me is that it's kind of awkwardly fragile, yet heavy, but understated at the same time - it's not a passionate declaration of felings. It's muted, gray, almost dull, but somehow beautiful and tragic too. This is what I feel when I feel depressed. It is hideously beautiful and beautifully hideous. Fuck i'm drunk.
Nate. great songs, first one was my favorite. So strange to come across a large group of people that share a love for dark music in lieu of the emotion it stirs within us, a rush of emotion seldom felt otherwise.

Some more music for thought. :happy:

Bon Iver <3

Driving music

Melancholy Hill :wink:

Hooverphonic

Kina Grannis

And of course, My Morning Jacket

1 - 20 of 48 Posts