Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was away from this forum for over a year because I got a new job and didn't need to waste time on the internet as much.

But I'm back. So here is why:

Long story short I've been at this job less than 2 years, it suddenly changed direction and I'm no longer traveling, but sitting in my office staring at a computer screen all day and I want to shoot myself.

-I am unconcerned with the direction of the company as a whole, I simply don't care.
-I do not care what is written on my yearly performance appraisal

I was sitting in the break area at work yesterday with 2 of my coworkers. They were both bitching about not having enough direction from managers, not getting better feedback on their evaluations, and generally being pessimistic about the company.

I said "Why do you give a shit?"

They said "because we care about our careers. Whatever goes on your performance evaluation is your permanent record!!11!!"

I said "Why do you care what's on your performance evals? Nobody cares about that stuff anyway. It's not like it's a criminal record"

They said "because someday we might want to get promoted."

At this point I laughed because who cares about climbing the ladder like that anymore? I said "I don't care what they write on my eval, either I'm doing a useful job around here, and I'm fine, or I'm not useful and I'll leave and find some place where i'm needed."

They laughed at me and shook their heads like I was the crazy one.

So - am I shooting myself in the foot? Should I be hyper obssessive and nag my managers for more input ?

I am leaning toward quitting my job instead. But it's a terrible time to be out of work right now..

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Eh. I wouldn't care unless I was going to be at the same job for the rest of my life.

But that's a good point. I think that ISTPs may "shoot themselves in the foot" because we either don't care or don't want to put in the effort or just don't see the POINT.

·
Banned
517 Posts
It's all about doing what you love vs money, stability vs happiness etc.

There's no definitive answer.

If you're alright with your job, then keep it. If you don't care about promotion, then fuck the evals.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I see what you're getting at and agree that many ISTPs may do the same.
Roam through the backlog of threads and you'll find a lot of people in the same position.

Your reactions to your co-workers are sensible and speak to our type, in my opinion.

I just refuse to work under anyone, self-employment is one hell of an experience, scary at times though.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I just refuse to work under anyone, self-employment is one hell of an experience, scary at times though.
+1 I don't work for anyone in the two jobs I have. Being your own boss is heavenly, but at the same time, the P can make it helluva difficult.

Reactions: Dalton_C

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 I don't work for anyone in the two jobs I have. Being your own boss is heavenly, but at the same time, the P can make it helluva difficult.
I've been seriously considering self-employment, but I'm too scared of my procrastination abilities. The P will make any sort of time management crazy difficult.

I'm feeling like a big chicken, but at the same time I know myself. :/

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've been seriously considering self-employment, but I'm too scared of my procrastination abilities. The P will make any sort of time management crazy difficult.

I'm feeling like a big chicken, but at the same time I know myself. :/
For me, my motivation (money for guitars) makes sure that procrastination is not a problem. :D

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I was away from this forum for over a year because I got a new job and didn't need to waste time on the internet as much.

Long story short I've been at this job less than 2 years, it suddenly changed direction and I'm no longer traveling, but sitting in my office staring at a computer screen all day and I want to shoot myself.

-I am unconcerned with the direction of the company as a whole, I simply don't care.

I was sitting in the break area at work yesterday with 2 of my coworkers. They were both bitching about not having enough direction from managers, not getting better feedback on their evaluations, and generally being pessimistic about the company.

They said "because we care about our careers. Whatever goes on your performance evaluation is your permanent record!!11!!"

I said "Why do you care what's on your performance evals? Nobody cares about that stuff anyway. It's not like it's a criminal record"

At this point I laughed because who cares about climbing the ladder like that anymore? I said "I don't care what they write on my eval, either I'm doing a useful job around here, and I'm fine, or I'm not useful and I'll leave and find some place where i'm needed."

So - am I shooting myself in the foot? Should I be hyper obssessive and nag my managers for more input ?

I am leaning toward quitting my job instead. But it's a terrible time to be out of work right now..
I quit my job. I couldn't handle it anymore. I didn't agree with management, how they were handling things, the changes they were making, the way they were managing....when I first started at that company I absolutely loved it, but over the last year it changed so drastically that I was just done. Stressed all the time, bored out of my mind, didn't enjoy my job....I knewi t was a matter of time until I got fired for insubordination or apathy. So i just ended it. If I don't see a point in what I'm doing, I can't do it.

For me, I dont' really care so much about money as I do about the intellectual stimulation of the job. I have to be interested. If the job interests me, then I do it. I don't work because I need to work, my husband makes money; I work because I want stimulation. If that stimulation goes away, so does my motive to work.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to be interested. If the job interests me, then I do it. I don't work because I need to work, my husband makes money; I work because I want stimulation. If that stimulation goes away, so does my motive to work.
I was like that when I was able to depend on a spouse's income. Now I've got several mouths to feed and I'm the breadwinner, so I'm not able to be quite as "whatever" about it. I mean, I worry a lot.
So I'm thinking I need to hang onto my job for the paycheck right now. It's just so tempting to quit...I have bad impulse control, as well.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Yeah I had to stay up until I just quit because I was the only income.
My husband was starting a business and had to put every dime he made back into it.
Now that he can finally start paying himself, I can relax a bit. I've been the sole provider for 3 years.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I've been considering self-employment too, though I think my inability to sell and talk people up would hurt me more than my P traits. I like my job right now, probably because my boss is great and is my ESTP uncle, but when he retires in a few years I'm thinking about heading to the hills. I've always imagined buying some land in Montana, getting some cattle, and being self-sufficient while selling off the excess beef. I wouldn't mind doing some carpentry on the side or having a little machine/fabrication shop too.

@MissFixit, @Dalton_C, and I should join forces in carpentry! We could call it ISTP Construction.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
. I've always imagined buying some land in Montana, getting some cattle, and being self-sufficient while selling off the excess beef. I wouldn't mind doing some carpentry on the side or having a little machine/fabrication shop too.

@MissFixit, @Dalton_C, and I should join forces in carpentry! We could call it ISTP Construction.
I was thinking about buying a farm too. I want to be alone and self-sufficient so bad.

But then again. if you have high maintenance livestock you can never ever just take off and go to the carribean again. lol
(not like i can do that now, but I dream about someday)

ISTP construction - "we'll call you when it's done".

·
Registered
332 Posts
@MissFixit @Benja I'm more of the Alaskan cabin in the woods type of guy. Also, ISTP construction is an awesome idea. "Work is done at any hour of the day." ;)

Reactions: Benja

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, you're shooting yourself in the foot. If you want to spend your life obsessing about climbing the corporate ladder and your sole focus in life is the accumulation of stuff, and things.

Terrible isn't it?

Also, welcome back. Believe it or not, it's good to see you again.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts

Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids about Money - That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not! [Book]

·
Registered
5,225 Posts

We're a 1:1 match here. Unfortunately I am not you, though. Tits and all :(

I don't consider it 'shooting myself in the foot' rather than being upfront. I don't care what my boss thinks. Either I'm doing my job properly, or I don't (in his mind, or actually mine ;D ) - in that sense, I won't do what I wasn't hired for, as it is not my job.

I'm a notorious underachiever, always been. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be working for anyone else in the first place, but start my own business - but alas, I couldn't bothered.

I'm a firm believer that evaluations matter shit if you bring natural competence and talent to the table. In that sense, bite me.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I tend to switch jobs quite often. Around 9-12 months is usually where I get bored and feel that I am not evolving or learning anything new. The longest I've been at the same place was 3,5 years and I was climbing the walls in frustration then. I have no desire at all to climb the career ladder in terms of becoming a manager/boss or something like that. So eventually I started my own company. If you know you are good at it and you know there is a market for it, then why not?

I love being selfemployed myself. The hardest part is of course going to interviews and I tend sound like a tape recorder at those times, but once you have done that, the hard part is over. If people don't know you exist, they will never know what you can help them with. The first month I started, I just called, emailed and went to interviews for potential clients.

Reactions: Benja and MissFixit

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've been considering self-employment too, though I think my inability to sell and talk people up would hurt me more than my P traits. I like my job right now, probably because my boss is great and is my ESTP uncle, but when he retires in a few years I'm thinking about heading to the hills. I've always imagined buying some land in Montana, getting some cattle, and being self-sufficient while selling off the excess beef. I wouldn't mind doing some carpentry on the side or having a little machine/fabrication shop too.
That is... actually what my brother did a year ago and his loving it. He used to be a self-employed cameraman for movies, shows, etc and opted to take it easier and is now spending his time with his gf on an island, on a farm, restoring the medieval time constructions across country and in the free time, making random stuff out of wood. When i saw him a few weeks ago he suggested that i should consider doing the same because it was a really good move in his view.

oh his an istp for sure.

Reactions: Benja
1 - 20 of 25 Posts