Personality Cafe banner

Which is more important, doing what you love or loving what you do?

• Do what you love!

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Love what you do!

Votes: 16 57.1%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you think is more important: doing what you love or loving what you do (in your career)? No 'both' option, sorry.

I think loving what you do is more important. When I'm adding tags, though, I only found 'do what you love'. Hmm. I'll add 'love what you do'.

Reactions: Copper North

Birdie Borracho
What I do for a career (Construction brokering) is not a hobby that I love. But I do love what I do, as a practical career I enjoy, thus the 2nd option.

Reactions: INFJenNiFer

Registered
Neither option is good advice, imho. They are too general. For me, "Do what you love!" could mean anything. "Love what you do!" makes me angry, as it suggests 'settling' and 'being realistic.' Balance is crucial. Every career path seems both enticing, and disappointing, depending on how you examine it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Neither option is good advice, imho. They are too general. For me, "Do what you love!" could mean anything. "Love what you do!" makes me angry, as it suggests 'settling' and 'being realistic.' Balance is crucial. Every career path seems both enticing, and disappointing, depending on how you examine it.
Of course. But for both advices there are good things about them too. Of course no career is perfect. But what do you think is the most important? Or at least more important than the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Which do you think is more important: doing what you love or loving what you do (in your career)? No 'both' option, sorry.

I think loving what you do is more important. When I'm adding tags, though, I only found 'do what you love'. Hmm. I'll add 'love what you do'.
Sometimes what you love to do is not very profitable. However doing something you absolutly hate is not great either. So I think do something you are good at that you dont totally despise that makes decent pay and want to shoot yourself everyday for doing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes what you love to do is not very profitable. However doing something you absolutly hate is not great either. So I think do something you are good at that you dont totally despise that makes decent pay and want to shoot yourself everyday for doing.
I agree with you.

What I meant by doing what I love is doing what my hobby is.

What I meant by loving what I do is not necessarily doing my hobby, but I love the job even if it's not my hobby.

Sorry for bad grammar lol

Registered
I agree with you.

What I meant by doing what I love is doing what my hobby is.

What I meant by loving what I do is not necessarily doing my hobby, but I love the job even if it's not my hobby.

Sorry for bad grammar lol

Sometimes what you love is not very profitable. Ever hear the term "Starving Artist"?

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Sometimes what you love is not very profitable. Ever hear the term "Starving Artist"?
I knowwwwww

As much I love music (it's my hobby), I don't want to be a musician.

Registered
@INFJenNiFer it's definitely a question that makes me think. I think "Love what you do" involves a better mindset, or at least is less prone to dangerous misinterpretation. "Do what you love" has some assumptions built into it.
For instance, if you asked yourself, "Am I doing what I love?" you are assuming that there is something out there that you love. Contrariwise, if you asked yourself, "Do I love what I'm doing?" you may find yourself respond "well I don't love it, but it's pretty cool, and it makes money for my family, whom I love, and for me to have the free time to build trains, which I love," or whatever. So that's my reasoning at least.

Registered
1+

I don't believe in total behaviorism but I don't think humans' interests are rigid and inflexible either.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I don't understand how they're different.
For me, doing what I love means:

What do I like to do? What is my hobby? If I were doing what I love, I would be a composer, because composing music is my hobby.

It's like doing your hobby at work or something. At least that's what it's supposed to be.

For me, loving what I do means:

Okay, so I don't have a job coming from my hobby, but I learnt/learned to love it. For example, someone has a hobby in painting, but he didn't become an artist. He got a job in something else instead, for example, accounting. It's not what he would do in his spare time and stuff, but he likes it.

Doing what you love doesn't mean you're loving what you do. (Sounds weird? It's true.)

In the same way, loving what you do doesn't mean you're doing what you love.

The reason why I think loving what I do is more important is because, seriously, as much as I like MBTI, I am certainly not the type of person to become a psychologist. I'm too introverted and it will be almost certain that I'll get drained by people's emotions. I am doing what I love, but I won't love doing my job. Too much energy drain!

A person I know is a journalist. She wanted to be an actor, but she ended up being in journalism. So she was okay with the job at first, but as time goes by she began to love it.

So yeah. If you're doing what you love and love what you do... You're lucky.

Too bad there is no third option!

Reactions: Aridela

Registered
At the moment I have a job that pays well and I don't mind doing - hell, I even find it interesting at times.

My talents are invariably for things that make zero to trace amounts of 拢拢 and I love to travel, hence I need a good paying job.

Doing what I love would mean I'd have to be poor for the rest of my life, but for the chance of actually 'making it'. No, thanks! Life's taught me to be practical about such things.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
At the moment I have a job that pays well and I don't mind doing - hell, I even find it interesting at times.

My talents are invariably for things that make zero to trace amounts of 拢拢 and I love to travel, hence I need a good paying job.

Doing what I love would mean I'd have to be poor for the rest of my life, but for the chance of actually 'making it'. No, thanks! Life's taught me to be practical about such things.
Hehehe, I'm glad someone thinks so too.

Reactions: Aridela

Registered
This question is a riddle and a mess. Far from easily interpreted. I won't bother to vote.

I tried getting a job where most of my natural interests are. I failed at that again and again. Because engineer jobs aren't engineer jobs anymore. -.-

Now I have a job well below the educational expectations people have when reading my CV. It's an OK job. Salery is OK by my standards. Work days and times are OK with room for the occasional adjustments. Boss is a good introvert, which I must say is the best boss I've met.

Registered
For me, doing what I love means:

What do I like to do? What is my hobby? If I were doing what I love, I would be a composer, because composing music is my hobby.

It's like doing your hobby at work or something. At least that's what it's supposed to be.

For me, loving what I do means:

Okay, so I don't have a job coming from my hobby, but I learnt/learned to love it. For example, someone has a hobby in painting, but he didn't become an artist. He got a job in something else instead, for example, accounting. It's not what he would do in his spare time and stuff, but he likes it.

Doing what you love doesn't mean you're loving what you do. (Sounds weird? It's true.)

In the same way, loving what you do doesn't mean you're doing what you love.

The reason why I think loving what I do is more important is because, seriously, as much as I like MBTI, I am certainly not the type of person to become a psychologist. I'm too introverted and it will be almost certain that I'll get drained by people's emotions. I am doing what I love, but I won't love doing my job. Too much energy drain!

A person I know is a journalist. She wanted to be an actor, but she ended up being in journalism. So she was okay with the job at first, but as time goes by she began to love it.

So yeah. If you're doing what you love and love what you do... You're lucky.

Too bad there is no third option!

Sounds like semantics to me, tbh. Doing your ideal job vs doing a less ideal job that you also enjoy. Or get a job based off your hobbies or based off your values and broader interests.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts