Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have. But it's not a common practice. I can rationalize this with my conscience being enough of a reminder. I know when I am in the wrong, I know when I've made a mistake. My self-awareness around the matter is enough. I don't see why I necessarily have to verbally express to others that I am wrong or made a mistake.

I can see how some people conclude that to being prideful, I won't deny that I have pride. Pride is a good thing! The times where I do tell people I am wrong/made a mistake is usually when I have an intimate relationship with them. Actualy that's not true, I rarely tell loved ones I am wrong. I do it when i want them to stop bringing it up. Yeah. Something about verbally telling others this unsettled me. I view it as a personal weakness. If I am wrong and I know this, that's enough for me. I'm not sure if that's wrong or right.

Do you guys think it's necessary to openly tell people you are wrong at every turn? Is your self-awareness enough for you? Do you tell people that you are wrong or that you have made a mistake? When is it appropriate?

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I always acknowledge when I was wrong when it involved someone else. I don't know that it's "necessary", but I think it is constructive. If we were debating something and I come to the conclusion that they were correct and I was incorrect then the truth of the situation should be put forth. To continue on as if it were otherwise is a lie. Furthermore, to move from the wrong position to the right position is a form of personal growth, which is something both worth sharing with the person who was part of this growth and something that I want to share with them in order to express my gratitude for their assistance in this growth. Plus, letting others in on your self awareness of your faults is a good way to build relationships and let people know you aren't an arrogant prick. I certainly don't get along with anyone who refuses to openly acknowledge when they were wrong, and I don't expect anyone to think highly of me if I were to do the same.

·
Banned
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can do that silently. Fleeting from one topic to another is what I prefer. Admitting I am wrong doesn't feel comfortable. It really depends on who you are too.

Usually when I debate - when it's serious. I'm almost always not attached to my thoughts. Going from one topic to another is simple in that regard. I am especially relating this to hurting people's feelings. I am aware I can say things that may hurt someone else's feelings. I don't always apologize, not in public!

Furthermore, to move from the wrong position to the right position is a form of personal growth
I agree with that. That's why I am open to criticism. Depends on what area I think needs improving on too.

Appreciate the response.

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
I typically do whenever I stand to benefit from doing so.

·
MOTM Mar 2012
613 Posts
Mistakes, I make them not.

But seriously, if you say you have a good intellect, you must have Intellectual Humility. You must be able to see you are wrong and admit it.

I always strive to be intellectually humble. There is no doubt in my mind that there are INTJs that don't have enough of it to amount to anything, as is true with most humanity.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If I'm sure that I'm wrong I'll admit it, but I won't say it just because someone wants me to do it. If the opponent has some logical arguments that find holes in my theory, then why not? In most cases though I might find holes on my own. In that case I will admit my error. But I'm used to not concentrate on error. Meaning even if I made mistake, I will concentrate on making it right, not on the fact that I did wrong.

Anyway, as a kid I had more problems saying that I'm wrong (in the cases that I was indeed). And it was more because although I was wrong, the others wanted me to acknowledge it so that they can feel happy by beating me, which breaks the whole purpose of the debate. The idea is to learn something and share some opinion, not solely to be happy about winning. As an adult, I learned that these things happen (even rarely), so I try to say it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I will, but after I trollololololol the living essence of any dignity they may have out of them.

And after 6 months have passed.

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
Going further with what @TaylorP pointed out,

I also accept donations of large sums of money, and/or willing virgins, as compensation for my honesty.

I could not be more serious. I could really use the money. And the sex.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
and/or willing virgins, as compensation for my honesty.
Is that Boy or Girl Virgins?
You do not want to assume, like the Muslims, that the virgins are the opposite sex as you.

Reactions: L'Empereur

·
Registered
782 Posts
Is that Boy or Girl Virgins?
You do not want to assume, like the Muslims, that the virgins are the opposite sex as you.
Brilliant. I have on very rare occasions that I have been wrong. The following times I cover my tracks :laughing:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am reluctant to admit that I'm wrong--it takes quite a bit to convince me. However, I have been training myself into the practice of admitting it out loud when I am proved wrong in order to keep my ego in check. I can't stand people who can't be wrong, and I can't stand hypocrites, so I figure the best way to avoid both of these is to make a conscious effort to admit that I'm wrong when I am.

·
Banned
2,005 Posts
I always admit when I'm wrong. Granted, it takes a fair bit to convince me that this is the case, but if it's undeniable, then that's that. I'll revive a debate months later if I've since discovered that some aspect of my position/thinking was flawed. It's definitely about integrity, credibility, as well as personal accountability. Own your words.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,602 Posts
I hardly ever admit that I'm right....but when I am I fight for it. It's not a competitive thing for me. Just my point of view. I've learned that there are a fair amount of "right" answers and it's not always as cut and dried as one simple "right" answer.

For years in a relationship of being "right" a lot of the time it really comes down to wishing to hell you were wrong so you can even the balance somehow....and perhaps prove your "rightness" in being wrong. This might not make sense to some....but it will ring true as "right" for a few.

I will mostly walk away from an argument and not bother being "right" because it's mostly time consuming and an idiot's "right" will still be their "right" they have a right to their "rightness" and who am I to prove them wrong. It's a headache and a mistake I've made many a time on this board (and others) to try and reach a common "enlightened" state where we are sharing ideas. It's generally only in a time of agitation or when I'm being singled out that I will defend any given idea I might have had....to prove the "rightness" of the idea so to speak.

If I'm wrong in my answer of course I admit it, there isn't shame in being wrong. There isn't any sheepishness or embarrassment. Who fkn cares.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'll admit that I'm wrong... if someone can prove it to me. Often, they cannot. And so I am forever branded as the assholish know-it-all. Hear me roar.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts