Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that for the important things - a presentation or a release or a planned personal event of significant importance I always have multiple plans in place for all the moveable parts. What is your experience? Do you do the same? Do you think that having multiple plans is more a "P" type thing rather than a "J" type?

backup-plan.jpg

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't Elizabeth Holmes talking about not giving the people under her command any escape routes?

Reactions: lilysocks

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What? You must be connecting this to Sun Tzu's 'burn the boats and bridges behind your army', but she is commenting on herself here.
yes, exactly! she is talking psychological manipulation. it just looks like she is commenting on herself here - but she is really talking about leading an organization.

having multiple plans is not an acknowledgment that the goal is insurmountable. it can mean that i cut my losses and try again with a backup plan or i am able to adjust to changing events on the ground better because I have backup plans.

9,999 Posts
Wouldn't say a plan as such, but my mind tends to map out a number of possibilities and their projected trajectories. I don't deal terribly well with entirely unforeseen, solve-me-now scenarios.

Judgers are supposed to need closure while perceivers are supposed to be fine with multiple possibilities. Personally, I'd say there's some fear involved in my need for mapping out the future. The less I fear and the more relaxed I am, the less closure I need.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Multiple plans tends to be an Ni thing, but i do have to say that if i dont have a backup plan, then i have a plan for dealing with failure a little bit better. Ya know instead of just being blindsided by it and being mentaly broken down or upset if the plan doesnt work. Lately the things ive planned for havent allowed for a "backup plan" so ive had to do more of, making a plan to deal with possible failure.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wouldn't say a plan as such, but my mind tends to map out a number of possibilities and their projected trajectories. I don't deal terribly well with entirely unforeseen, solve-me-now scenarios.

Judgers are supposed to need closure while perceivers are supposed to be fine with multiple possibilities. Personally, I'd say there's some fear involved in my need for mapping out the future. The less I fear and the more relaxed I am, the less closure I need.
Would you say that mapping out the future mitigates risk and that is the reason for the feeling of relaxation? Fear of the unknown sounds like Te to me. Ni is perception and so there is no fear there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Multiple plans tends to be an Ni thing, but i do have to say that if i dont have a backup plan, then i have a plan for dealing with failure a little bit better. Ya know instead of just being blindsided by it and being mentaly broken down or upset if the plan doesnt work. Lately the things ive planned for havent allowed for a "backup plan" so ive had to do more of, making a plan to deal with possible failure.
Right - in other words setting expectations appropriately, some might say pessimistically?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Right - in other words setting expectations appropriately, some might say pessimistically?

I like to think of it as sparring myself emotional turmoil lol.

but in most cases having several plans to achieve the same goal is, preferable.

Reactions: Inveniet
9,999 Posts
Would you say that mapping out the future mitigates risk and that is the reason for the feeling of relaxation? Fear of the unknown sounds like Te to me. Ni is perception and so there is no fear there.
I'm not sure I feel more relaxed after I've mapped out the possibilities I can perceive. Relaxation is rather connected with a more zen-like "que sera, sera". You know, you're a caveman out on the savannah, you know there are lions so you figure out which parts to avoid, but you stay alert - no relaxation. Relaxation is a more Buddha-like state where you relinquish your control over existence and smile serenely at whatever comes your way.

Reactions: the_cheshire_cat

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure I feel more relaxed after I've mapped out the possibilities I can perceive. Relaxation is rather connected with a more zen-like "que sera, sera". You know, you're a caveman out on the savannah, you know there are lions so you figure out which parts to avoid, but you stay alert - no relaxation. Relaxation is a more Buddha-like state where you relinquish your control over existence and smile serenely at whatever comes your way.
you describe a Bruce Lee type state. Relaxed is having tension - not too much and not too little.
relinquishing control over existence and observing serenely is when space has been carved by the relaxed state.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yup I always have a backup plan(s).
I hate not having options in case Plan A doesn't work out, and it's relatively easy for me to switch to different plans depending on the situation or just my mood.
I make plans so the chances that I'll succeed increases.
I don't know if its a P/J thing; I used to type as INTP and I did exactly the same.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I always have at least one backup plan, and constantly revise the main plan and the backups as new information presents itself. I'd rather not blindly commit myself to a single course of action, especially if it involves variables provided by other people or particular events. As they say, no plan survives contact with the enemy, and if you cannot improvise and adapt, you are increasingly unlikely to overcome.

·
Jaffa Master
7,575 Posts
Different options with plans is just more of something that is 'obvious' to Ni>Te rather than something that needs to be mulled over. Exceptions exist, of course.

·
Registered
921 Posts
yes, exactly! she is talking psychological manipulation. it just looks like she is commenting on herself here - but she is really talking about leading an organization.

having multiple plans is not an acknowledgment that the goal is insurmountable. it can mean that i cut my losses and try again with a backup plan or i am able to adjust to changing events on the ground better because I have backup plans.
She is definitely talking about herself with regards to starting her business, dedicating herself to it 100%. Around 4:50.

I think back up plans work and make sense in tactical decisions. I'm actually shifting college majors as an example, able to do so because I positioned myself to be in a flexible place with this in mind. Good positions give options, and options allow for a greater range of maneuvers.

However, there are some long term goals that require so much time and other resources, that dividing them into other areas can ensure failure, which would be relative to your resource pool. For example, my life goal isn't going to have a back up plan as I must dedicate all resources towards it in order to have a chance in succeeding in it. This makes sense in her context as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have backup plans and plans for everything.. to the point it gets really annoying since I constantly compare plans and try to see which is best.

·
Registered
231 Posts
No. I don't have a backup plan exactly. I have the best plan which I'll cultivate, with a bunch of ideas, notes, scribbles, expectations, perspectives, memories , contingencies, and options that exist in the background.

A backup plan isn't having an umbrellas in case it rains. A backup plan is knowing what you would do if you were arrested in a different country, with illegal substances, in a stolen car, with a bunch of warrants for your arrest, naked.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
I find that for the important things - a presentation or a release or a planned personal event of significant importance I always have multiple plans in place for all the moveable parts. What is your experience? Do you do the same? Do you think that having multiple plans is more a "P" type thing rather than a "J" type?

View attachment 490210
I have plan A-Z, but sadly most people around me are stupid so its extremely hard to get anything done. Also parents will irrationally push children one direction, even though its clear they can not make it on that route, or that they are terrible at it instead of helping their natural talents.

Not everyone is a football player
Not everyone is going to be a doctor
Not everyone can sing

Parents need to accept it

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
same as some of the other people have said. i pick what i'm going to do, and then i mentally scan what the permutations might be. and then or simultaneously, i scan what i've 'got' to deal with any of hte permutations. so long as there's a sense of having something or other in the arsenal for most of the things i can imagine happening, i don't spend much more time than that on it.

it's a 'burn that bridge when i get to it' thing. i just kind of check my mental pockets to make sure i either have matches, or if the matches are going to be all used up, i'll be able to scare some up once i'm in the neighbourhood. i find that super-planning works pretty poorly for me. too much focus makes me miss things.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts