Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally can't stand them.

For some reason, I feel like they've stolen the world from me, and it's so frustrating. I take out my anger on them.

I'm 22 years old, and I definitely don't share the same adolescence/teenage experience as kids born in the late 90s. I'm just so frustrated, because just a few years ago, from like 2007-2011, it was MY teen time and things were so different.

There weren't any "selfies", twerking, Instagram (didn't exist for most of this time), there was no One Direction (I actually like One Direction, but unfortunately their fanbase is mostly younger than me) or Justin Bieber. There was no Vine, no Android (it wasn't popular), people didn't constantly look at their phones (sure phones were widespread, but not like it is today).

I miss when Doctor Who wasn't a teenage girl thing. It was just a show that all people liked. It was before Tumblr and "shipping"... it was before "bae" and "yaasss" etc. I miss when American Horror Story wasn't a teenage girl thing. I miss when likes weren't everything. Likes! I miss the old YouTube from 2009-2010... it was so different.

I miss what technology meant when I was young, back when Wi-Fi was new, and I used to mess with Palm handsets. I miss when the iPhone was new. But kids nowadays are so different. They've never known a world without smartphones. We aren't at all part of the same generation.

I miss the old anime like Black Cat and Eureka Seven. I also miss Najica Blitz Tactics and Tenjou Tenge. Kids nowadays are all about Tokyo Ghoul and whatever else.

I miss when being a teenager meant that you listened to Paper Planes (MIA), Electric Feel (MGMT), Viva la Vida (Coldplay) or Good Life (Kanye West).

I get so angry that the world's changed so much, and it isn't my adolescent experience anymore. I know it's ridiculous to feel resentful for something like this, but I just can't help but feel robbed and annoyed by today's teenagers. I know that people born in the early and mid 80s don't feel this way about me, so why am I so against people younger than I am?

I just miss the 2000s so much. Am I alone? How do I deal with this?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't have anything against those born in the late 90s/00s. I normally look down on those who are ageist against certain people as the people who are younger or older than me can't help it being that way. Not like they can tell their parents to birth them at a certain time. All teens is just being teens. All teens are annoying and frustrating to deal with.

I can sort of see where you're coming from. The world that you saw as a teen stopped being the same once you hit your 20s. Those form the late 90s onward (lets say 1997 and later) are still in their teen years and are in the spotlight for all of the things that you've mentioned above. You're only 3 years younger than me so there isn't much different between us and in things we grew up with. Those from the late 1990s grew up differently from you and don't see things the same way and as you did. Although I don't blame them for that as the world is known to change very quickly.

You love the 2000s, but don't like the people that came from it. Again I see where you're coming from. I miss the 2000s as well as I thought it was a pretty good time for me. I assume the reason you don't like late 90s/00s born because you don't quite understand them perhaps? This is just my assumption. I could easily be wrong.

P.S. LIKES LIKES LIKES LIKES...(just funny how even I tend to say "like" during my sentences even when I know it isn't needed.)

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Of course, because obviously every kid born in the 00s behaves exactly like this. And yeah, why don't we stick with the same technology, music, cartoons, animes, TV shows, etc we had before? After all, everything made in the last 5 years is plain shit, back in the day everything used to be much better.

·
Registered
375 Posts
1. Generations succeed each other. Nostalgia isn't weird at all, but as you said, this is the natural order of things. It was never going to be the 00s forever.
2. I think you're mixing up teenage culture with internet fandom dweeb culture.
Both pretty much true. I can see how some may mix teenage culture with internet fandom culture. Especially since teens are known to partake in internet culture a lot. But I do agree that they are indeed different.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have anything against those born in the late 90s/00s. I normally look down on those who are ageist against certain people as the people who are younger or older than me can't help it being that way. Not like they can tell their parents to birth them at a certain time. All teens is just being teens. All teens are annoying and frustrating to deal with.

I can sort of see where you're coming from. The world that you saw as a teen stopped being the same once you hit your 20s. Those form the late 90s onward (lets say 1997 and later) are still in their teen years and are in the spotlight for all of the things that you've mentioned above. You're only 3 years younger than me so there isn't much different between us and in things we grew up with. Those from the late 1990s grew up differently from you and don't see things the same way and as you did. Although I don't blame them for that as the world is known to change very quickly.

You love the 2000s, but don't like the people that came from it. Again I see where you're coming from. I miss the 2000s as well as I thought it was a pretty good time for me. I assume the reason you don't like late 90s/00s born because you don't quite understand them perhaps? This is just my assumption. I could easily be wrong.

P.S. LIKES LIKES LIKES LIKES...(just funny how even I tend to say "like" during my sentences even when I know it isn't needed.)
Yeah, I think I'm on a completely different wavelength than they are. I really do struggle to get them. I'm hoping that once they reach their 20s, the difference won't be so bad anymore. And yeah, they definitely can't help when they were born, which is why I feel stupid for being angry, but I guess I'll get over it eventually.

I'm glad that you at least get where I'm coming from. I feel saner now.

1. Generations succeed each other. Nostalgia isn't weird at all, but as you said, this is the natural order of things. It was never going to be the 00s forever.
2. I think you're mixing up teenage culture with internet fandom dweeb culture.
Yeah, and it's kinda hard for me to accept for some reason. I feel like adults should have warned me about this when I was younger. I mean, I knew that people loved the 80s when I was kid, but I never really understood it until now. I've finally become an "old" person at 22. Maybe the late 2010s will be better, and maybe then this feeling of being old will disappear.

And yeah, maybe I do spend too much time on the internet.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Of course, because obviously every kid born in the 00s behaves exactly like this. And yeah, why don't we stick with the same technology, music, cartoons, animes, TV shows, etc we had before? After all, everything made in the last 5 years is plain shit, back in the day everything used to be much better.
Generation Z or not, anyone who likes Cowboy Bebop is cool in my book.

I'm gonna give you dudes and dudesses the low-down.

Generation Z has a little bit more of a hero complex than Gen Y, but I don't hold it against them. I'm disinterested in good and evil, blah blah blah. Gen X is a little more optimistic about Gen Z than they were about us 90s kids. Gen Z is a little more individualistic whereas dudes and dudettes in Gen Z had lots and lots of team related activity. To be honest, I really dislike Gen X but not Gen Z. Gen X is soooo fuckin' traditional and narrow-minded, even the baby boomers are more open to new ideas than Gen X. When Gen X was fresh on the scene, the presented themselves as revolutionaries, but now, in their middle age, they're the ultimate traditionalists. They're too stuffy for me, ugh.

Gen Z, I sorta see a younger version of me in them, albeit I was and still am a little more mean spirited, haha.

Reactions: Mibble

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't intend to be mean (I don't hate anyone born in the 2000s), and I also know that I generalized a lot of people. But this transition is pretty hard for me. You'll understand it soon enough. And I also don't hate the 2010s entirely... I love a lot of stuff from this decade. I'm just having a hard time adjusting to it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Generation Z or not, anyone who likes Cowboy Bebop is cool in my book.

I'm gonna give you dudes and dudesses the low-down.

Generation Z has a little bit more of a hero complex than Gen Y, but I don't hold it against them. I'm disinterested in good and evil, blah blah blah. Gen X is a little more optimistic about Gen Z than they were about us 90s kids. Gen Z is a little more individualistic whereas dudes and dudettes in Gen Z had lots and lots of team related activity. To be honest, I really dislike Gen X but not Gen Z. Gen X is soooo fuckin' traditional and narrow-minded, even the baby boomers are more open to new ideas than Gen X. When Gen X was fresh on the scene, the presented themselves as revolutionaries, but now, in their middle age, they're the ultimate traditionalists. They're too stuffy for me, ugh.

Gen Z, I sorta see a younger version of me in them, albeit I was and still am a little more mean spirited, haha.
I will admit that I don't like baby boomers very much. Mostly because they don't seem to understand modern day. They still try and do things in the old traditional way which doesn't work anymore. They don't fully understand the youth of Gen Y and Z.
As for Gen Z I think that they'll be a pretty decent generation. We don't see that yet as a Gen doesn't fully show itself until a good majority of that gen gets older and starts entering the work force. But as of now most Gen Z aren't even 18 yet. We can see them as kids and teens, but I don't judge a gen until I can see what they can do when they begin to takeover and run things.

Gen X to me is alright. But it's normally the Baby Boomers that tend to bother to me. I don't see how people in their 60s+ can understand people who are in their 20s or younger specially in a different time period. Being a baby boomer who is 20 isn't the same as being a Gen Y who is 20.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I didn't intend to be mean (I don't hate anyone born in the 2000s), and I also know that I generalized a lot of people. But this transition is pretty hard for me. You'll understand it soon enough. And I also don't hate the 2010s entirely... I love a lot of stuff from this decade. I'm just having a hard time adjusting to it.
Makes sense. Again having to put aside you what you've experienced when you were younger and replace that experience with all new experiences with a new decade isn't 100% easy. It's hard for anyone to not say "when I was younger ________" or "I don't like how today's ______ is _______".

I tend to do it a lot. And my brother who is from 1995 tends to do it lot. He doesn't seem to like the 2010s at all (actually he liked the early 10s, but he hates the mid 10s). He adores the 2000s very much.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Makes sense. Again having to put aside you what you've experienced when you were younger and replace that experience with all new experiences with a new decade isn't 100% easy. It's hard for anyone to not say "when I was younger ________" or "I don't like how today's ______ is _______".

I tend to do it a lot. And my brother who is from 1995 tends to do it lot. He doesn't seem to like the 2010s at all (actually he liked the early 10s, but he hates the mid 10s). He adores the 2000s very much.
Yeah, it's really tough. I think I'd get along with your brother quite well. I'm just hoping that as I get older, I'll eventually come to accept it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And I actually like both Gen X and Baby Boomers. I think they're pretty cool for the most part, especially considering all their contributions to the world and such. I also see them as wise. I guess that I have such a positive view of them because I've never known them as being immature, since they've just always been old (to me). And I also think the 60s, 70s and 80s are all cool. I guess that I can't find faults in those decades because I never lived through them and hence only know the cool parts. And there's just something special about those times since they're quite old yet fascinating.

Though, my preference would have to be the Baby Boomers. But I can see how they'd be out of sync with today's 20-somethings.

·
Banned
7,275 Posts
No, I feel sorry for them, lol.

They're missing the experience of not being 'plugged-in' at every waking moment.

I grew up in a very rural place, without that much money, so despite difficulties, I really enjoyed nature and fresh air. I had a huge imagination, and was always playing outside.

Kids today and their video-games, and their crazy rap-music.

I've never payed attention to what's in style, or popular anyway.

·
Registered
375 Posts
And I actually like both Gen X and Baby Boomers. I think they're pretty cool for the most part, especially considering all their contributions to the world and such. I also see them as wise. I guess that I have such a positive view of them because I've never known them as being immature, since they've just always been old (to me). And I also think the 60s, 70s and 80s are all cool. I guess that I can't find faults in those decades because I never lived through them and hence only know the cool parts. And there's just something special about those times since they're quite old yet fascinating.

Though, my preference would have to be the Baby Boomers.
I'm sure that happens to a lot of us. When we look at previous decades we see them as great awesome decades with little to no problems. And we tend to not like the ones that we actually lived through until we become older and start to have some nostalgia for those decades which blinds out judgement and block us from seeing the bad things of the decades we've lived through.

·
Registered
375 Posts
No, I feel sorry for them, lol.

They're missing the experience of not being 'plugged-in' at every waking moment.

I grew up in a very rural place, without that much money, so despite difficulties, I really enjoyed nature and fresh air. I had a huge imagination, and was always playing outside.

Kids today and their video-games, and their crazy rap-music.

I've never payed attention to what's in style, or popular anyway.
..............( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

·
Banned
7,275 Posts
..............( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
wut?

I wasn't trying to be rude or insulting. I don't look down on them.

I'm not a huge fan of technology; I'm not a technophobe, I just think at times, there's such an overuse of technology, that at times we're losing touch with the natural world a little.

I've lived out in the country without even television before, it's such an amazing experience.
Of course, I know many people still practice such things, but I think in some ways, it's being forgotten about.

I just really love nature, I love star-gazing, I love feeling the grass on my feet. They'll probably never experience what it's like not to have instant-messaging, facebook, or search engines that can answer every question for you. Sure, we've made progress, but it's still something they'll never get to experience, for better or worse.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Nothing. I'm just messing around. Also I never really grew up in the rural area before. Think everyone would who grew up in a rural area would have some nice fresh air and wide open space. From what I've seen it looks nice to be in a rural area.

I never feel sorry for the younger people as I'm sure they're enjoying what they have (something I wish that I was like as a kid).

·
Banned
7,275 Posts
Nothing. I'm just messing around. Also I never really grew up in the rural area before. Think everyone would who grew up in a rural area would have some nice fresh air and wide open space. From what I've seen it looks nice to be in a rural area.

I never feel sorry for the younger people as I'm sure they're enjoying what they have (something I wish that I was like as a kid).
Yes, I had a bad childhood as well. I regret watching so much television as a child, and for certain, played far too many video-games. I was angry and selfish, and made way too many mistakes. I just feel sorry a little, being surrounded by so much technology, it can be disconnecting I believe, if not carefully supervised.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes, I had a bad childhood as well. I regret watching so much television as a child, and for certain, played far too many video-games. I was angry and selfish, and made way too many mistakes. I just feel sorry a little, being surrounded by so much technology, it can be disconnecting I believe, if not carefully supervised.
For me I also played too many video games and also watched a bit too much TV. At first it didn't bother me until I hit my late teens. When thinking back at the stuff that I did a child I realized that I didn't do much else beside just mess around with games and tv. I didn't start doing other stuff till I was 13.

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
No I'm too old - they all seem like babies to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 70 Posts