Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you avoid using your inferior function?
If so, why? If not, why not?
Or do you not recognize when you use them?
What's the best and worst outcomes from using your inferior function?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I don't think I avoid using my inferior so much as I try to avoid situations where I know the negative aspects of Fe will come out. I don(t think anyone cam avoid their inferior, though; as a balance to your dominant you definitely feel its effects when that perspective comes into focus.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Yea I don't think you could consciously avoid using it, in fact its more likely that the more you try and disavow your inferior function the more its using you. Because the inferior function sits at the edge of consciousness its more likely people don't realize or relate to that perspective, its difficult to exercise a lot of conscious control over something that is largely unconscious.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I don't think you could consciously avoid using it, in fact its more likely that the more you try and disavow your inferior function the more its using you. Because the inferior function sits at the edge of consciousness its more likely people don't realize or relate to that perspective, its difficult to exercise a lot of conscious control over something that is largely unconscious.
Oh I don't know about that. I haven't avoided Ni, but I'm pretty damn good at finding distractions.

Actually, my Ni might be broken or missing or playing the longest game of hide and seek ever. I should call Guiness Records.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I avoid using Fe because I feel that expressing emotions makes me look weak, especially around people who I'm familiar with, who know me as stoic and analytic. My Fe tends to fuck everything up simply because I'm bad at using it. The unfamiliarity of it heightens my fears, especially of rejection. I am comfortable using rational thinking to make judgments and insecure using Fe. It gives me a feelings of naivety and childishness and makes me wish that the situation would just end before I make it any worse.

·
Sweet Matrimony.
ENTJ 8w7 so/sx
7,160 Posts
Totally agree with the bolded part.

But not too sure about the last part, are you saying then, that one will never be able to control the effects of their inferior function? Even as they get older? Surely as we get older and become more self-aware these things become more conscious?

Anyway to answer the OP, totally don't avoid it. But I tend to overdo it and anxiety takes over because suddenly I'm aware of all these little noises, and sensory nuances that I usually never think about because I sort of choose to ignore them in a way.

Reactions: monemi

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I probably don't use my Fi as much as most, but I sure as hell make an effort. Despite all my abrasiveness, I'm really not out to get people, and the only way to improve myself is to practice using my Fi. I'm probably still pretty bad at it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I probably don't use my Fi as much as most, but I sure as hell make an effort. Despite all my abrasiveness, I'm really not out to get people, and the only way to improve myself is to practice using my Fi. I'm probably still pretty bad at it.
I'm the opposite, I avoid using my Fi because then I'll get EVEN MORE abrasive and argumentative. My Fi won't let me change my beliefs, and can get me overly emotional and angry. To me, showing emotion like that is weakness. I'd rather analyze something calmly then get emotional about it. I rant a lot to get rid of excess energy.

Reactions: surgery

·
Registered
159 Posts
I use my Fe everytime I can. It's just much more helpful social-wise.

I don't understand INTPs who hide it. Seriously, it let me have very close relationships with people which are very useful when you're trying to get a global picture; people in teamwork will be a hundred time more interested when you use Fe and not to count an easier time having friends and having deeper relationships. Of course it has its downside, but when you learn how to deal with them, it's quite easy (and it's where our Ti-Ne gets in place, to prevent relationships' disasters).

·
Registered
937 Posts
I can't tell whether I'm unconsciously using or avoiding Te. I feel like I probably avoid situations that seem Te-like: basically anything that might seems competitive or like a leadership role. I just dislike these situations in general; I dislike telling people what they should do, usually because I never really put much emphasis on the end goal itself, if that makes sense. I mean, why boss people around to get things done, when we could just refocus on what's causing us so many stressful feelings in the first place and adjust our lives according to insights gained from introspection...that seems much wiser and more natural to me than putting my (or others') personal feelings away for the sake of accomplishing something that probably won't make you happy anyway. Occasionally, when I am under stress I do tend to become critical and nitpicky, though.

That being said, I think Jung describes how Introverted Feeling doms will over have a tendency to over emphasis (negative?) facts as a result of inferior Thinking, which I can see in myself.

There's a von Franz description that also says IFPs will use inferior Te to make plans "for the sole purpose of fulfilling deeply held values" which is EXACTLY like me, but I never use Thinking to get involved with and/or organize people. In other words, I never use Te on it's own "extraverted" terms like I think Lenore Thomson would say. I only use it support Fi motives.

Additionally, I think its interesting that, from what I can make of Thomson's writing, that IFPs under the influence of their tertiary and inferior functions will try to turn Fi values in objective standards that we try to fit others into and dismiss people/things when they don't. This is supposedly the opposite of Fi's "true" nature, which is to adjust to information in the situation, and thus views each situation as unique and handles it on it's own terms. It's hard to describe exactly how this works, but I can see this happening in myself when I try to come up with absolute answers for internal questions like "what's the point of life", etc...

Reactions: monemi

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Oh I don't know about that. I haven't avoided Ni, but I'm pretty damn good at finding distractions.

Actually, my Ni might be broken or missing or playing the longest game of hide and seek ever. I should call Guiness Records.

Actually, the inspirational philosophy joke in your signature could be seen as a rejection of a part of yourself you see to be inferior- Ni, reading much into what you see to be nothing.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
I use my Fe everytime I can. It's just much more helpful social-wise.

I don't understand INTPs who hide it. Seriously, it let me have very close relationships with people which are very useful when you're trying to get a global picture; people in teamwork will be a hundred time more interested when you use Fe and not to count an easier time having friends and having deeper relationships. Of course it has its downside, but when you learn how to deal with them, it's quite easy (and it's where our Ti-Ne gets in place, to prevent relationships' disasters).
l think lots of INTPs are pretty comfortable with Fe, which is probably why they attract me most out of all the thinking types.

lt's a shaky resource, though, so l understand when those aren't comfortable with it try to eliminate its existence.

As ENTP, l think what can be annoying is the expectation that you're a people person once you do show some kind of warmth, not to say that l'm not, but l can go offline from Fe and there's really nothing l can do about that and l become extremely irritated when l feel like people demand attention that l can't give.

l've overestimated my own capacity in the past and ended up with acquaintances and friends l couldn't really maintain, so l could see this being an INTP concern.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Fe? *shudder* If Fe ever comes out, it's almost always explosive and involuntary. As my inferior function, I probably aspire to it the most, but actually using it... It's like, I do want to connect with people, I do want to make others feel good, I do empathize and I do try to consider others' feelings, but put into practice, it's uncomfortable and often requires an extraordinary amount of effort. So, I wouldn't say that I avoid it, but rather it avoids me.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually, the inspirational philosophy joke in your signature could be seen as a rejection of a part of yourself you see to be inferior- Ni, reading much into what you see to be nothing.
Really? It's one of the things my mother would solemnly tell me to remember as a kid when I had to stay with her parents when I couldn't go with them. Always cheered me up because she was referring to a beaten up old Austin Marina in Grandad's garage. Look like this:

I found the joke reassuring as a kid and still like it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I usually avoid putting myself in situations where I have to rely on my inferior function (Fe). Maybe because it's energy consuming or because I'm not that confident in it.

This could also be because I don't call upon my Ne enough in social situations so in turn Fe gets neglected. I definitely use it in excess when I'm in groups though and talking to strangers I believe. I'm very aware of how people in the group are doing and notice if someone's question is being ignored, social cues, tone of voice etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts