Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I read a good book or watch a good movie I always become enchanted with the characters and symbolism in the book or movie. I often times want to be like the characters in the book and sometimes even incorporate the motifs and little symbolic items into my outfits. Right now my favorite book series is the Dark Tower by Stephen king and my favorite movie is Amelie. I have a horse-print dress and bird skull necklace that reminds me of the characters Susan and cuthbert from The Dark tower series. I want to try to dress like Amelie a bit more though. I'd really like an artichoke necklace. I thought the scene in the movie where Amelie points out that "even artichokes have hearts" was quite witty. I think it reminds us to be kind to the people around us. Any way does this happen to you a lot? How does it manifest when you become interested in symbolism from movies and books?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I can't see the symbolism or the themes in books or movies even after someone points it out to me. I could never understand most poetry either.
Does this invalidate my INFP membership?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't see the symbolism or the themes in books or movies even after someone points it out to me. I could never understand most poetry either.
Lol no. I accept you into my life as that infp who doesn't understand symbolism in books and movies or poetry.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
@ UpClosePersonal, yup, you're out of here, on your bike son. : D Well maybe you slide by just this once.

I wouldn't say I obsess, but I do enjoy symbolism in books and films, and examine such to find deeper and sometimes concealed meaning in a given work. I tend to look for symbolism in everything I watch or read and I find that inclusion of it adds to the depth of it. I had never given it much thought, but I too have a small collection of objects which remind me of various ideas and philosophies discovered through doing this.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I can't stand symbolism. I am a huge Romanticist, however, if that has anything to do with it. But I don't like to relate one thing to another, rather, I guess I'm obsessed with the idea of something existing in the first place/the magic that is existence.

·
Registered
7,169 Posts
Dunno about obsessing over symbolism, but I do enjoy elements that aren't always obvious and might have a deeper meaning to it and such.

·
Retired Administrator
16,275 Posts
I love symbolism and themes. But I tend to see it even when it's not intended. It's much harder for me to catch intended symbolism and themes (or analogies as in riddles), but I read symbolism into everything, even every day life. I don't know if we're using that word the same though, OP. I think books and film can have re-occuring symbols that represent certain themes, whereas it sounds like you are talking about taking images from a book to represent the personal feelings or insight you gain from the book.

But I also do what you are describing...I think that physical ritual is interesting and fun. So I will sometimes try to "anchor" ideas with physical objects as symbols. I also tend to like to connect with the protagonist of a story. I think that's one of the nice ways in which stories can be inspiring. When you can see someone who perseveres or has whatever quality you want to build in yourself, and you can emulate them in a way, or at least appreciate the lessons they demonstrate with their story and whatever else.
@UpClosePersonal it doesn't invalidate you if you send twelve easy payments of 16.99$ to me, in the acceptable form of check or money order. You can also pledge your allegiance to our lord and savior...which we have yet to vote on, I think. Actually, to tell you the truth I can not for the life of me get a riddle and many jokes go over my head.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
@UpClosePersonal it doesn't invalidate you if you send twelve easy payments of 16.99$ to me, in the acceptable form of check or money order. You can also pledge your allegiance to our lord and savior...which we have yet to vote on, I think. Actually, to tell you the truth I can not for the life of me get a riddle and many jokes go over my head.
This made me laugh out loud and that's a great way to end the day. :laughing:
Thank you for being so funny! I've been smiling, just thinking about how much what you said is my kind of humor, while washing some dishes left in the sink before I head up to bed.

Reactions: WickerDeer

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,324 Posts
I am so with you on this.

I feel like I have some mental block with the word symbolism. I get that it's a thing that represents some other thing, but I don't seem to naturally pay attention to or latch onto stuff like that, or see a lot of meaning in it... or something. I don't know. Sometimes when people point out symbolism to me I just feel like it's kind of cheesy, or I'm like... 'oh, okay I guess you could make a connection between those...' This tends to be my problem with traditions as well, usually there's symbolism going on and I'm sitting there thinking "but it's just a _____(whatever object or activity it is)" even if I know it's supposed to be representing some important concept or time past or something.

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
Oh boy! Love it. The problem is my mind can't stop seeing things and a lot of times, I probably add interpretations that should not be there. And then, when you combine symbolism with conspiracy, I become happier than a bear with his head stuck in a honey jar. I LOVE the phrase "hidden in plain sight" within the conspiracy communities. Do you see it? I do. Hahaha! Interpreting symbols, or what I perceive as hidden information, is a hobby of mine. It's all so interesting. "Symbolism, mind control, subliminal programming" is one of my fav places to hang out at *another* place.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yup yup! I love it. I really love symbolism. I took art major for my college, and my artwork used symbolism, and expressionism too. So yeah it happens to me a lot. I'm always interested to read about this. But sometimes I've got headache after read about this. Symbolism can be too much sometimes hahah.. I'm agree with Amelie too. Even artichoke have a heart.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a professor in undergrad that really invested in me. I would go sit in his office when he was free, and we would talk about symbolism in books for fun. I was a really, really cool college kid. :cool:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, often, but not to your extent, because I think "Hey I should try to look like said fictional character!" and then there is silence in my head for a moment, and then this gets screamed back "Can't you have a little originality? At least let the subconscious steal that bit of fashion for you maybe? Patience, or i don't try...TRY BEING ORIGINAL?!", yet when people, say look like "catniss" from hungergames(which I hate with a firery passion from hell) I don't think of them any less original.

However, I took comicbooks as literature, and I came up with this theory that Dr.Manhattan was basically the symbol of corporations because we rely on the DR.M the same way we rely on them in IRL.... so I can get a bit...er....obsessed?

·
INFP
6,306 Posts
I have a keen eye for "hidden messages", 99.9 percent of which are all made up by myself I am sure (no I am not sure, but I think so, probably ...hopefully?), which often come in different symbolic shapes. Sometimes my mind get clogged with those messages, even when my conscious decide not to pay attention to them, because the other part of the brain is sure there is something fishy going on and keep alerting me. But I am not obessed with... commonly shared symbols. I was initially indtrigued by The da Vinci code (spoiler alert) for example, but soon after just annoyed, when every mystical buildup just ended with revealing some farfetched connection between any triangular shape and the mother and thus (loosing a few connections here) jesus' wife?

Symbols are great for that which can not easily be said plainly I think. But I don't think I am obsessed with them the way the OP describes. I use them for understanding, and I am obessed with figuring them out. But I rarely feel the need to incorporate them in my own life. I do adopt things from books and films all the time though. Inspired by personalities and interests and the world and how things look in my head...

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
It depends on my mood and what I expect to be reading. It can actually take me out of the genre when I notice a symbol that has no relevance to the story, and often it is so obvious that it just seems pretentious. If I am reading a philosophical or humorous work symbols are welcome, but if Harry Potter's scar was shaped like something which would symbolize J. K. Rowling's political opinions I would consider it a poor decision making in her writing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts