Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for curiosity.
For example, do you behave different when being around a 3(or any other number)? How different?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I don't but not because I behave the same with everyone but because I don't intentionally determine their type and then my behavior. Too many steps in between. I see behavior and respond to that behavior. I don't see type, it's not easily available. I can see hints of it but I try to not make conclusions. For example, if I am around a person that gives me the feeling that's very judgmental, I act guarded and a bit aloof but I'm not thinking 'This person is judgmental, hence he is a 1, hence I must protect myself". That's what I'm talking about when I say there are too many steps in between. It's weird to see the type and not the behavior. Sometimes you see behavior you associated with y type in someone claiming is x type, that's the only situation when type is "directly available". Type is completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
I don't think in terms of ennea, but as far as MBTI--well, just personality traits--I tend to give them what they want. If I'm with an ENFP, I'll entertain them, and laugh at whatever they say.

ISTP/ESTP, I'll stick with talking about their hobbies, and remain interested in them.

I'm pretty good at being everyone but myself when around most people.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Would that adaptability be who "yourself" is anyway, or do you feel it's disingenuous, that there is a "you" that people don't see?
I don't think any black and white answer would hit the mark.

It's a lot like if I went to a buffet. I walked around and piled my plate with all the food I wanted. Then, when I went to sit down, different friends would ask if I could share with them. Sure, why not, but I know what they like, so Ill give them those certain foods, keeping the other ones away from them.

In the end, I enjoy all the food I piled on my plate and gave away, but my favorite foods--the ones that I usually pick up and usually eat, I don't give to anyone, because I don't think they'd want to eat it.

Best way I can describe it.

Reactions: FranOL

·
Registered
231 Posts
Would that adaptability be who "yourself" is anyway, or do you feel it's disingenuous, that there is a "you" that people don't see?
I am a 9w1 myself, and I relate to what @Antipode is saying. To add on, I would say that personalities are multifaceted. Typically, people have a variety of different interests, and very rarely to they find someone whom they can share every one of their interests with. For example, I am a huge music fanatic and love all types of music. When I am with my father, we listen to classic rock, and when I am with my sister, we listen to pop music. This doesn't mean that I am being any less myself when I am with these two individuals -- I am just choosing to show the side of me that would best appeal to them at that moment. I love MBTI stuff and psychology, but I am also interested in foreign languages, programming, and a variety of other things. If I find someone who is only interested in one of those, I will discuss those things with them and will leave out discussions on things that they are interested in. This is because, as a type 9, I highly value my sense of comfort and so I do not want to make anyone else feel uncomfortable as a result.

Now, I know that this is different from adapting towards another person's behavior, which is something that I also do as a type 9. If I am around young children, I am the complete opposite of who I am when I am around my ENTJ significant other. However, this isn't me "faking" any sort of personality. It is similar to my interests, which have been accumulated and expanded over a long period of time. I have found that I am comfortable being intellectual and cerebral as well as quirky and spontaneous, and a large part of this comfort comes from the comfortable/pleasant reactions I pick up on from my respective audiences. If I act cerebral and intellectual around a silly little 5 year old boy, he will become bored and annoyed with me fairly quickly. If I act goofy and childish around my ENTJ, he will find it endearing for a short time and then grow annoyed with me when he wants to have an intellectual discussion. In this way, I am still slothpop the 9w1 INFP, but I have different facets to my personality that I whip out when given an opportunity. In this way, there are very few people with whom I don't "click." In fact, I am largely unfamiliar with what that means.

Well, actually, that is a lie. I am still an INFP with dominant Fi, so I will not be able to accommodate any personality that goes against my moral values. People without depth and who seem to wander aimlessly without purpose or without any sense of integrity or morals...I will not morph to fit their personality, simply because I do not want to be that kind of person. I don't have that in me. I will sacrifice my sense of comfort (and their sense of comfort) to stay true to myself. In this way, you could call the type 9 inconsistent, yet not inauthentic.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,615 Posts
out of a sense of progressive communication, i will make use of the enneagram knowledge sometimes to better create a bridge to understanding, it does facilitate a stronger understanding if i feel we are bridges apart, i realise they are just different from me at a very core level so it does help to be armed with this tool :tongue:. but i don't want to abuse the tool i have either, it can change my perspective too much also, to constantly view others in terms of neurotic fixations and one-word adjectives instead of persons with complex backgrounds is a step too far and realise by viewing others like this will cause me to know and understand them less, so it's a fine balance.

sometimes i fall into funks of adapting myself to others of different types and then realise how lost i have become in myself by spending too much energy on working myself around them so i withdraw to restore my sense of self plus when difference of opinions comes into the fray, I'm not likely to often adapt my opinion to keep a friendly dialogue, i'll make my point in a dignified way that keeps my self respect intact and my opinions extend as a sense of my self so that's very important. I'm a self preservation first and an fi dom so maintaining myself all the way down to my beliefs and other facets is vital, as vital as breathing in oxygen. by behaving too differently from yourself to accommodate yourself to others is self abandonment and like a lost soul floating through the atmosphere, like hiding your personality, it stops others from truly knowing you, might aswell be dead.

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
@Astrophe posted a funky little test here that measures what I think the OP is getting at.

Some people here have mentioned that they interact differently with MBTI types, but not necessarily enneatypes. I'm this way as well, and to be honest have not found enneagram type to have much of an impact on my relationships with others - at least not in terms of how readily you understand each other. To me, the enneagram offers a lot more about the actual content of one's thoughts and their inner motivations than it does their communication style and means of cognition. People of the same enneagram type can speak radically different languages despite being similarly-motivated - - - and people of different enneatypes can speak the same language despite having different inner fears. People can have the same inner motivations, but communicate and go about them in opposite ways. All of these cases are better understood via Jung.

If you're going to "mirror" others, it's better to do it via cognitive functions or another theory more directly related to how you communicate, and what kinds of information others may subconsciously expect from you. The enneagram is better for understanding someone's internal strugglings, and in developing compassion when they behave in ways you don't understand.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,615 Posts
@Figure - surely though we communicate with others through a different channel where the motivations do have an effect on the way we interact with others, attachment types for example have a different sense of boundaries than withdrawn types, the differences between the way a type 9 and a type 1 communicates aspects of themselves is different. there is validity towards enneagram types in communication just coming from a deeper yet less conscious place. one doesn't disqualify the other necessarily.

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
@Figure - surely though we communicate with others through a different channel where the motivations do have an effect on the way we interact with others, attachments types for example have a different sense of boundaries than withdrawn types, the differences between the way a type 9 and a type 1 communicates aspects of themselves is different. there is validity towards enneagram types in communication just coming from a deeper place. one doesn't disqualify the other necessarily.
As bold as it sounds, I really don't think that makes as big of a difference as the language you speak to each other. You're talking about a aspect of "communication," again, the content - the content of what you communicate about yourself. A type 9 INFJ and a type 1 INFJ will communicate different content of what they see about themselves. But I guarantee that the type 1 INFJ in this example will feel more "like" the INFJ 9 than, say, an ESTJ type 1, even though both 1's may talk about principles, etc.

If you want to apply that to how people end up understanding each other on a "deeper" level, then yes. I guess my thought here, basically, is that trying to behave differently to an enneagram type will likely not significantly change the quality of the relationship. So why do it?

·
Banned
304 Posts
I'm a 5w4 ISTP.

When I'm around:

Ones - I shut up and let them do their thing. Many times they have thought about it harder than I have. Plus I think it's a waste of time to argue. Sometimes I find their crankiness/meticulousness cute :p

Twos - I get all awkward and smiley. I frequently blush when they use their two nice-ness on me :p I think higher of them than they can tell (at least I think so..but they understand people better than I do, so they might see right through me)

Threes - With extraverted threes I get standoff-ish. Many threes I have met have made me uncomfortable for some reason. I have the "be yourself, live life" attitude while they are (stereotypically) "Be the best, adapt to 'survive' " types (GENERALLY). Dated one and....not for me.

Fours - I admire many fours I meet. Extraverted ones I see as odd and interesting, and I usually am quiet and listen to them and their ramblings (they seem to always put this mysterious persona on me too). But something about the introverted fours draws me to them. I like shy fours. I try to be more extraverted and fun when I'm around IXFX fours especially.

Fives - I try to impress fellow fives. I'll admit I can feel insecure around others fives with a similar reputation as me (I can't seem stupid when I feel my supposed cleverness defines me). I usually put a tough vibe out, probably to counter my insecurity. Anyway, most other fives end up thinking I'm impulsive and weird.

Sixes - When I was younger, and even now as a teen, there wasn't/isn't a six adult who didn't like me. (Unless a highly religious one found out about my gayness and/or lack of religion :dry: ) Anyway, I act myself minus editing out a few weird thoughts that come to mind. I can really fork out my fun Se if they are "stagnant-ish" so many end up thinking I've "got a good head on my shoulders and still know how to have fun"

Sevens - I have a hard time getting along with these guys. I usually become standoff-ish and probably seem snobbish to sevens. I like fun but they can be a little too extreme ESPECIALLY extraverts. The one introverted seven I know for sure didn't like me (nor I him)

Eights - I admire eights greatly. I cannot think of any introverts, but extraverts (no matter how illogical or incorrect they were) I've had a thing for. They, like extraverted fours, put this "mysterious intellectual" persona on me, and I have been directly (and randomly) told by a few that they admire me greatly. (lol made my day) I have a feeling they (like the twos but probably more unaware) have no clue about how much I respect them.

Nines - When I am around introverted nines (similar to the four thing) I try to get them energized and pumped, because for whatever reason, I start feeling that way *shrugs* I suppose I could be called "The annoying but well-meaning drill sergeant friend" ESPECIALLY in sports/gym. I can get naggy though, along the lines of "Stand up for yourself" and about being less sloth-ish. But nines are cool, and I am comfortable around them.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I do change my behavior when with others but nothing feels false to me. I still feel real and genuine. I don't use my knowledge on enneagram (and MBTI) when interacting with others. I've notice I simply trust in my ability to deal with an individual using methods that are kinda intuitive to me. I fail at times but I still do it. Enneagram is useful when it comes to exploration and asking the correct questions to discover new and more profound aspects of our personality that were buried in our subconscious. It makes me richer and it strips me from clutter. That's what the enneagram is good for.

·
Registered
♂️ Xennial - Melancholic/Choleric
3,834 Posts
I'm a 5w4 ISTP.

When I'm around:

Ones - I shut up and let them do their thing. Many times they have thought about it harder than I have. Plus I think it's a waste of time to argue. Sometimes I find their crankiness/meticulousness cute :p
In a way you are right but in another you are wrong.As far as I am concerned, sometimes criticism annoyed me but after I had let my anger go I re-examined the issue and found new dimensions to it which I'd overlooked before.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
@Astrophe posted a funky little test here that measures what I think the OP is getting at.

Some people here have mentioned that they interact differently with MBTI types, but not necessarily enneatypes. I'm this way as well, and to be honest have not found enneagram type to have much of an impact on my relationships with others - at least not in terms of how readily you understand each other. To me, the enneagram offers a lot more about the actual content of one's thoughts and their inner motivations than it does their communication style and means of cognition. People of the same enneagram type can speak radically different languages despite being similarly-motivated - - - and people of different enneatypes can speak the same language despite having different inner fears. People can have the same inner motivations, but communicate and go about them in opposite ways. All of these cases are better understood via Jung.

If you're going to "mirror" others, it's better to do it via cognitive functions or another theory more directly related to how you communicate, and what kinds of information others may subconsciously expect from you. The enneagram is better for understanding someone's internal strugglings, and in developing compassion when they behave in ways you don't understand.
The OP / thread title is way too broadly defined to answer with the concept of self-monitoring alone. Besides that, I am not sure whether I agree with what you are saying here though.

MBTI / the Jungian functions handle cognitive preferences regarding perception and judgment. What kind of information do we prefer to process and what kind of judgment do we prefer to pass. These preferences influence the way we look at things: do we prefer to handle concrete information vs abstract information, do we prefer to judge through logic or value and affect, do we prefer to live in the internal or in the external. In other words, the contents of our cognitive processes are subject to our cognitive preferences. What we perceive and what we judge eventually end up directing not only the way our thoughts are formed but also their contents.

Enneagram also explain the contents of our thoughts but through different kind of lenses. If Jung's theories offer the cognitive preferences as lenses through which we perceive and interact with the world, then enneagram offers the holy ideas, passions, virtues and vices as lenses.

I would say though that MBTI is a more practical tool to analyze communication, simply because MBTI is built around cognition and enneagram isn't. Cognition is easier to link with the various processes of communication, mainly coding & decoding a message. But through these processes we change the way we present and interpret a message so eventually, the content or meaning of a message may be interpreted differently by the receiver, different from how the sender meant it to be.

Enneagram hasn't got much to say about how cognitive processes form and thus is less practical in terms of analyzing communication. However, given the passions and vices, up to some extent it can predict which cognitive processes take place (for example, reaction formation for enneatype One), and therefore indirectly the topics we communicate about.

I suppose that this does support your point of view then, but with the addition that I think the potential of MBTI to explain content of communication shouldn't be underestimated.

To answer the OP:

I behave differently every day. More so than I'd like to think or believe. We love to think of ourselves as people with static traits, cause that helps reducing the complexity of the beings that we are. Whether personality traits are truly stable or not, our expressions of them aren't constant. When talking affective experiences for example, a common categorization is A) dispositional affect B) emotions and C) moods. Whereas a dispositional affect is more trait-like (an optimistic view on life for example), emotions are short term affective reactions to a specific stimulus, while moods are more diffuse reactions to general stimuli. So while one may be an optimist throughout her/his life, she/he may experience moments of pessimism, like in the form of sadness or defeatism and such.

Anyhow, I'm just trying to illustrate that while I may be more receptive and agreeable on day 1, I may be less so on day 2. Not only because of internal changes and changes in my expression, but also because someone else's perception of me may be different on day 1 compared to day 2, because changes in my external world etc. Daily fluctuation is a b*tch to those who naively hold on to a static image of ourselves. But people often don't realize that anyways so yeah it keeps things simple.

So yes, I may behave differently, not only because of daily fluctuations, but also because observer A may pay attention to my behavior in a different way than observer B would. Regardless whether observer A does or doesn't share enneatype with observer B, regardless their MBTI as well. And regardless of how much the same or different I feel on day 1 and day 2. I may give a beggar some cash on day 1, a cigarette on day 2 and nothing on day 3, but still feel like I am me, unchanged, on all of those days.

This however, is largely a product of 'unintentionality'.

Sometimes I may 'intentionally' behave differently in the presence of different enneatypes, in comparison to the presence of people whose enneatypes are unknown or unassumed to me. For example, me guessing other people's enneatypes can influence the way I approach them, or the way I think about them. I do this a lot, not only with enneagram but also cognitive functions. In such moments I look for explanations why they act and think like they do, and then I try to accommodate or adapt my behavior in order to attain whatever outcome preferred (which is usually the best or most justifiable outcome). I try to see things from their enneatype-perspective, place myself in their ennea-shoes, etc.

The danger in that is boxing people in, categorizing them and making assumptions about them that influence my behavior around them. It is so easy to mentally stick a label to people, while everybody deserves an unassuming, judgment-free approach. So I try to be as aware as possible, but yeah, I may fail every now and then.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts